Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Redemption Limits

@AARPTeri   Is there any possibility that redemption limits will be raised in the future?  Three redemptions per month seem a little confining.  It makes it hard to decide what and when to use one's points.  If a member earns the points, he/she should have the opportunity to use them.  As it stands, there is little motivation to accumulate/stockpile a large number of points.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, let's get back to the topic at hand, which is redemption limits, not taxes. I'd like to know if the 1/month limit (per vendor) is set by AARP or by HelloWorld. If it comes from HelloWorld, then I doubt AARP would have much say in changing it. Also, a lot of people were talking about the monthly limits as they relate to points-only gift cards. The monthly limit has been placed on all gift cards, as far as I can tell, including members-only gift cards, some of which don't even require points. I suspect this is a limit set by the gift card vendor, not AARP, but I'm curious to know if that's right or not.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@OrganizedChaos75 We just posted about redemption limits here: https://aarp.info/3aSp4T5

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

@AARPCaroline, thanks for the reply. I see that AARPTeri posted the details of the limits, but what I asked was, who is repsonsible for setting those limits, AARP or HelloWorld? I see that the gift card limits haven't changed. It's still 1/month. For the large number of people on here who purchase the Carnival gift cards, most of us buy more than one at a time. Limiting them to only 1/month practically defeats the purpose of buying the Carnival cards. You see, we use them to pay off cruises and buy a multitude of things that go along with said cruises. A majority of us need more than 1/month to do what we use them for. I'm convinced that AARP changed the Carnival cards to members-only because they are well aware of just how in-demand the Carnival cards have been. If they want to take advantage of the popularity of those gift cards, why set such a ridiculous limit on them?

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

All points donations were tax deductible for the (5) years during R4G and you were able to print a confirmation for proof, what changed?

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090 

I didn't know they were deductible previously.....used every point in the old program.    

I would guess it's due to changes in tax law.   We now make our donations through other means available to seniors rather than the way we used to as much as possible.   

Admins would be better able to give you the right answer....just my guess.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

I created a topic on this subject and no Community Managers responded.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I hope an increase in the number of points only redemptions per month will be considered by the program.

Thanks

Andrew

@HokiePoq 

I thought I had asked if AARP Foundation point gifts would be considered in the 3 point redemption limit and I had. It was hard to find for me.

AARPCaroline replied "...AARP Foundation redemptions aren’t included in the 3 per month limit for points only redemptions." A link to the post is below:

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/Start-contributing-your-points-to-AARP-Foundation-today/m-p... 

Have a Great Day!

AndrewToo
Gold Conversationalist

Does anyone know if the points donation to AARP Foundation counts as one of the three?   In the future I'd probably wait until the last day of the month to donate if it does.   

I looked in the FAQs but could not find the redemption limits explained there.   That needs to be added.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq

That donation didn't count against any limits on R4G, it shouldn't due to the fact it's a donation to AARP Foundation.

@AARPCaroline could you help out?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Thank you Marylin.   I wondered as the $5 showed in the total saved on the top left of my screen.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

I already had savings when I donated and my black banner doesn't work properly.

That is good information to know; so the 4,000 pts (Senior Food Drive) are equal to $5, now I know how much to claim for tax purposes.  Very interesting.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090 

The email acknowledgment of my donation said it wasn't tax deductable, unfortunately.

Social Butterfly

@mi4090 @HokiePoq 

Ditto Hokie I had same info 

Marylin it also states in info on Donation link  "Not A Taxable Donation" 

Used to in old program but no longer now they changed it 

Also states worth $5 donation for the 4K+ points costs 

Ginger  :  ) 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@gm5271 

Ginger I guess it's your money donations only.  No need to place a money value on points donations.  

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

That is interesting also, due to the fact a money value is attached to the points donation. Wonder if AARP Foundation still has it's 501(c)(3) charter?

Screenshot_2020-01-27 are AARP Foundations donations tax deductible - Google Search.png

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@mi4090 @HokiePoq 

It may be one of the taxation tricks used by many that donate on someone's behalf. The one doing the actual donating to the AARP Foundation would be AARP in this case. AARP gets to do the tax deduction, not the poor person at the bottom of the chain.

I may be wrong on this, so it would be better to confirm with an IRS advocate.

Cheers,

Ray

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@ralmon 

Since AARP is a nonprofit they probably don't get any tax value from our points donation to the Foundation....but I am no expert either.   

You are right that it works that way in a lot of cases.   

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@ralmon 

Hello Ray,

What's confusing is the monetary amount of $5 that's posted in the Savings section of the black banner.  Why track it or assign a money value to the donation, if it isn't tax deductible for the member?

Have you donated to the Senior Food Drive in the year 2019?  Can you find out, you're good at researching and post for the Community?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@k380494p 

Yes it is impossible to predict what might be offered for points.  I am glad to see points only offers, but, I find the limit of 3 per month as too limiting also.  I hope you guys can bump it up to 5 per month; that would be great considering there is now a daily deal.  @AARPTeri I hope you guys will consider our request.

Thanks!

AndrewToo
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP