Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Buying cards almost always almost always errors out

Regular Contributor

Buying cards almost always almost always errors out

I've given up so many times when I wanted an AARP card because it seems like a lottery with this error that has been posted over and over since 2020 😞

Does anyone know of a way to get PAST this? I cannot call because I don't have a phone reception where I am

There was a problem with your payment. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305.

Community Concierge

@RyanR564160 Let me help, Ryan! You should receive the gift card email within 24 hours. There is no record of the purchase going through on your Rewards account. Please check your bank statement to confirm that the charge did not clear. You are welcome to try the purchase again, I'm here if there's anything I can do!

Contributor

Thank you @AARPJanelleM for looking into it. I was able to purchase 5 gift cards yesterday afternoon, and received one of the emails for the cards, but I haven't received the emails for the other four. I see that my card has been charged on my end to show that the transaction went through. Is it possible to resend those other 4 emails?

Community Concierge

@RyanR564160 You're welcome! Those were re-sent yesterday. Let me know if you don't receive them!

Contributor

Just commenting to say we’ve had the same issue. Instead of allowing me to purchase over the phone they’ve “escalated my case” … completely unhelpful. 

Regular Contributor

That is what they did to me too; they escalated my case to tech support...and meanwhile I told her (not her fault) that I have used firefox, chrome, and safari...no luck...tried my ipad, iphone, desktop, and laptop...no luck...i've disable my pop-ups...and I even put my AARP account info side by side with my bank account info on my two monitors at work...no luck...so yes....so frustrated!!!

Regular Contributor

Hello, I have been trying to buy gift cards for over a week. I keep getting the same error message and Customer Service is not helpful at all!!  my billing info and card info and account information with AARP all matches!!!  I join AARP to get a discount on gift cards and I can’t even buy one

Contributor

I am having issues too. I wish I had known that this was a common issue, I wouldn’t have signed up with AARP last week. Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue? I have tried 2 different cards and I am having the same problem. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

No fix for me yet....I had no idea this was issue; and just like you - this is the ONLY reason I joined AARP was for the gift card discounts!  Customer service has been NICE, but they have been unable to help.

Periodic Contributor

Having the same problem.  I purchased this morning then went back to get more as I am not at my limit and I get the error message.  I called twice and was told to sign out and wait a hour....didn't work.  They just keep giving the run around on the phone.

Contributor

Just checking in to say this is still happening. I purchased a few gift cards and it went through fine. About an hour later, I tried to do that same with the exact same info and it doesn't work.  Now it won't work with any credit card or paypal.

"There was a problem with your payment. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305."

Contributor

Same

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPJanelleM wrote:

@StnicholasB224079 This error occurs most often when a billing mismatch is detected. Please verify that the name and address you entered at checkout exactly match your payment card's billing statement. Participants can't make a purchase using someone else's credit or debit card. If the name and/or address do not match exactly, please click EDIT to modify (Common discrepancies include missing building or apartment numbers, and P.O. Boxes; also, ensure that there are no missing characters or misspellings). Additionally, ad-blockers can cause this error message. If you are using third party or browser-based ad blockers, please try disabling the ad blockers. 

@df1146  Does this (above) apply? Did you try to do the same, but on another account? If not, then there is a problem and you should contact AARP Rewards Support at the number you've provided. 

Hope it gets resolved for you. 🙂

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge

@StnicholasB224079 This error occurs most often when a billing mismatch is detected. Please verify that the name and address you entered at checkout exactly match your payment card's billing statement. Participants can't make a purchase using someone else's credit or debit card. If the name and/or address do not match exactly, please click EDIT to modify (Common discrepancies include missing building or apartment numbers, and P.O. Boxes; also, ensure that there are no missing characters or misspellings). Additionally, ad-blockers can cause this error message. If you are using third party or browser-based ad blockers, please try disabling the ad blockers. 

Regular Contributor

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me as well. I have been having the same problem for over a week my card and billing and account information all matches and Customer Service has not been able to help me.

Community Concierge

@KathyK737229 Our escalations team is working on your case and you can expect a resolution within 3-5 business days. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Contributor

This is still an issue. I have cleared cache and cookies. I have typed in my address and name exact to my credit card statement. I have waited hours in between trying purchases. I have contact my credit card company and they are not receiving the requests from aarp for a charge. I have disabled all ad blockers. I have to purchase our gift cards today!PLEASE HELP

Contributor

They suck. There’s nothing you can really do about it. All these complaints over these years and nothings fixed

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I am having the exact same problem. Ive turned off pop up blockers, used differnt cards, called the number, tried differnt browsers. Can you also help me please?

Regular Contributor

Thank you, I appreciate that - I hope someone can help me soon.  Thank you.

Community Concierge

@KathyK737229 You're welcome!

Periodic Contributor

I've tried everything, I made sure everything matches and I still continue to receive the same error, Chatting with a representatives is very frustrating, they keep telling you its your cards issue and they wont admit there's a much bigger issue, I challenge AARP to show us and prove us wrong, because there's a lot of users having the same issue. Please look into the real issue and solve it. I've made purchases before using the same card information and I didn't have a problem, but all the sudden I cant.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Contributor

It's 100% AARP website issue when this many people are reporting the same problem. I too am having this problem right now. Just keep on trying. 

Community Concierge

@CarlosGG  Thanks for letting me know, Carlos. I checked your Rewards account and I see you've made gift card purchases as recently as 10/18. Is this an intermittent error that you're receiving? Please provide me with some more details and I will do my best to assist!

Contributor

This is still an issue. I have cleared cache and cookies. I have typed in my address and name exact to my credit card statement. I have waited hours in between trying purchases. I have contact my credit card company and they are not receiving the requests from aarp for a charge. I have to purchase our gift cards today!PLEASE HELP

Periodic Contributor

Thank you for your Reply, I did purchase some on 10/18/22 but I attempted to purchase a couple more and I wasn't able to, I was way under my monthly limit. that is why its very strange that AARP continues to blame the issue on a mismatch information form the customers side, when clearly I've been able to purchase some with the same payment method, I am not exactly sure how or why this is happening.

I love AARP because of the gift card purchasing feature, I hope this gets resolved once and for all.

Thank you for your time! 

Community Concierge

@CarlosGG I understand. When you attempted to purchase more, did you try using a different payment method? 

Contributor

You guys really are just a set of canned responses arent you? 

Its not user error!

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I did. but all cards are under the same billing address, that shouldn't make a difference right? 

Community Concierge

@CarlosGG I ask because this error is most often associated with a billing info mismatch. If you're unable to purchase using a specific payment card, please confirm that the Name and Address displayed at checkout exactly match the credit/debit card billing statement. 

Also, do you have ad tracking blockers on your browser settings? If yes, you should disable and try again. 

Periodic Contributor

I triple checked to make sure that everything matches between my account and my CC billing account, and I've been trying to buy some gift cards and I get the same error. I am not understanding how all the sudden it just doesn't work, again , I've made purchases in the past without any issue. 

Please help.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP