Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Buying cards almost always almost always errors out

Regular Contributor

Buying cards almost always almost always errors out

I've given up so many times when I wanted an AARP card because it seems like a lottery with this error that has been posted over and over since 2020 😞

Does anyone know of a way to get PAST this? I cannot call because I don't have a phone reception where I am

There was a problem with your payment. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305.

It's March 2024 and this error message is still coming up. I put in a ticket - hoping that resolves it. I tried multiple cards and nothing works (like everyone else) - how can they not fix it on their site if this is such a wide spread problem!!! I just signed up for AARP and I am already regretting my choice... 

Community Concierge

We hope you stay with us, @BriannaH289239. I see the issue was escalated earlier today, please allow 3-5 business days for a response. - Diana G.

0 Kudos
Contributor

It’s funny, I just tried this with 2 different cards and got the same error, but somehow both charges showed up on both cards… seems fishy to me. There clearly isn’t a mismatched name if they were able to successfully charge both cards. 

Contributor

I've had this problem for a year now, I get the following error: 

"Something went wrong with your transaction. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305.

Please note, even though there was an error with this transaction, submitting your payment information may result in a temporary hold on your available funds. While funds have not been removed or withdrawn from your account, they may be temporarily unavailable as is standard banking procedure when validating a request to transact. Before retrying this purchase, please be sure you have the available funds."

I was able to successfully purchase one gift card yesterday, then tried again and got the same error message. Have tried multiple browsers (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox) and multiple devices (Computer, iPhone, iPad) over multiple networks (wired, wireless, cellular) - all the same error. I've tried disabling ad blockers and allowing pop ups. I called the support number and they put in a ticket.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have the same issue and cannot seem to get it fixed.  I can't get a great response when calling either, they just tell me to check that my address matches with my bank.

Contributor

same here, same problem same attempted solutions.

then i contact aarp support, and a week later i get a response to try again. It magically worked again, i was able to purchase gift cards, they did not tell me what the issue was.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was able to buy Carnival cards on my first try. Since then it has not worked - I have tried several credit cards but always get the well known error message. 😞

Contributor

I managed to purchase 2x$500 cards. ever since then i keep getting the error message 

"

There was a problem with your payment. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Customer Care at 1-866-451-6305.

Please note, even though there was an error with this transaction, submitting your payment information may result in a temporary hold on your available funds. While funds have not been removed or withdrawn from your account, they may be temporarily unavailable as is standard baking procedure when validating a request to transact. Before retrying this purchase, please be sure you have the available funds."

0 Kudos

its November  5 2023 and its still broke, AARP website is horrible. I want a refund on my membership this year. 

Community Concierge

@KellyN494944 Hi Kelly, I'm here to help! The website is working properly. AARP Rewards participants will encounter that error message when a billing mismatch is detected. I reviewed your membership and I see your first name has been changed a couple of times recently. Please be sure that the billing details for your credit/debit card EXACTLY match what's on your AARP membership. This includes the name spellings as well as typos in the billing address. Also, participants can't purchase gift cards using another person's credit/debit card. 

Contributor

This is not an accurate statement. I use gift cards from work to buy Carnival cards. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The name on the card ALWAYS the same. Eventually, all the cards work. So, nothing in your answer is actually true.

Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what happened or what changed - but all of a sudden one day - mine started working!!!  Just keep trying.  I tried every day for nearly two months and then all of a sudden - bam!  It started working!!!  

Contributor

I am getting the same message for about the last month now! My cruise is coming up and I really need to get these gift cards! I have already called and that was no help. It's so frustrating.

Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what happened or what changed - but all of a sudden one day - mine started working!!!  Just keep trying.  I tried every day for nearly two months and then all of a sudden - bam!  It started working!!!    

Just keep trying!  Make sure your address with your bank and AARP match EXACTLY...spaces, commas, abbreviations!  No differences!!!  And then try again and again....

Community Concierge

@DominiqueM529335 Your escalation was resolved on Sept 8 and there are no issues on your Rewards account. Have you had an opportunity to try a transaction today? You may encounter this error message when a billing mismatch is identified. Please verify that the name and address you entered at checkout exactly match your payment card's billing statement. Common discrepancies include missing building or apartment numbers and P.O. Boxes. Participants can't make a purchase using someone else's credit or debit card. You may also want to try disabling any browser based or third party ad blockers that may be interfering with the transaction. 

Contributor

Janelle- I appreciate you saying this is the issue but it is NOT the problem.  The problem is most certainly on AARP ‘s site.  The cards aren’t even being authorized or reaching the issuer to be declined.  AARP isn’t even getting it that far.  This is 100% on AARP’s side. Clearly been going on for a long time and doesn’t seem like there is an end in sight. 

Contributor

Lies. Having same issue

Community Concierge

@AmieT723532 Hey Amie, I'm here to help. What issue are you having?

Contributor

I have tried multiple cards. I have checked my address on my billing statements multiple times. Still no luck. It is very frustrating. How can this be fixed? I have also made sure my settings are correct!

Community Concierge

@DominiqueM529335 Have you had an opportunity to try to reach out to our escalations team using the phone # that was in the first email they sent you? 

Contributor

I’m also getting the error on a perfectly good card. All my information is correct. “ Something went wrong with your transaction. Please try again or contact AARP Rewards Support at 1-866-451-6305.“

very frustrating!

Community Concierge

@ThomasW316733 Hi Thomas, thanks for joining our family! Please confirm the name and address in the checkout cart exactly match the info found on your card statement. Also, be sure to disable any ad tracking blockers you may have in your browser settings. If you continue to have this issue, please send me a private message and let me know what browser and device you're using as well as the name of the item you're trying to purchase. Check out how to send a private message here: How do I send a private message

Contributor

Same error as everyone else. Does AARP not know or listen? This is in June 2023 and it appears to not be fixed. I have tried multiple credit cards, computers, ip addresses, paypal, clear cache cookies, cellphones and nothing. This is a problem with AARP

Community Concierge

@AndreA261744 I'm here to help! I responded to your private message with more info

Regular Contributor

I agree; so frustrating!  Same as you...I've used paypal, various credit and/or debit cards...cleared out my cache, my cookies, disabled my pop-ups...used chrome, firefox, edge, and safari...used cell phone, laptop, ipad, desktop - still an error!!!!  And I'm told 'tech is working on it' - no one has called me -and meanwhile I can't buy my cards!

Regular Contributor

UPDATE:  Hi; I have been able to buy cards online about three weeks after I posted my original issue/complaint all of a sudden one day I said 'let me try again' and it worked!  I called my bank (Chase) and AARP several times - and I was told over and over 'it's not us - it's them' - I even used different addresses; different cards - no luck...but one day it was fixed!!!  I have been purchasing gift cards online on/off weekly since about June 2023!    (8.3.2023)

Community Concierge

@KathyK737229 Hi Kathy! Your case is being worked on by our team and I see a notation that a voice message was left for you on June 1. Please be sure to reach out to our team if you have any questions regarding the case!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I too just had a problem buying Princess Cruise line gift cards and I was able to get through without an error, but I have not received any emails about it, nor does it show up on past purchases or transactions and it has been a few days. Also, I'm unable to purchase more gift cards (since I purchased my monthly limit of 5) so I cannot try to re-purchase them. Also turned off ad blockers prior to purchasing, entered in my payment details exactly as they are shown on my credit card and credit card billing statements. 

Should I immediately get an confirmation email after purchasing? Since I did not, I don't have any reference to try and escalate other than here.

Community Concierge

@RyanR564160 Let me help, Ryan! You should receive the gift card email within 24 hours. There is no record of the purchase going through on your Rewards account. Please check your bank statement to confirm that the charge did not clear. You are welcome to try the purchase again, I'm here if there's anything I can do!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP