Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What is your most embarrassing/awkward childhood experience?

Periodic Contributor

What is your most embarrassing/awkward childhood experience?

Hi, I was at a party a few nights ago and this question got asked and it became a discussion point for the next two hours!!!

Would anyone like to share their most embarrassing/awkward childhood experiences?

Honored Social Butterfly

I have carried this sad embarrassing memory with me for at least 65 years.

I was a sweet boy of six living in a small Southern town. Our home backed up to a beautiful, forested area. I had a multitude of friends, one of which lived on the other side of the forested area. Our favorite game was playing cowboys. I owned a double holstered set of pearl handled cap pistols. They were the pride of my young life.

I had visited my friend on the other side of the forest, was on my way home for dinner, and as I reached the half way point through the forest, I had a bowel problem.

I immediately took off my holster and guns, dropped my pants, and took care of my emergency situation. Once done, I pulled up my pants, and ran home before I had another bowel problem.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized I had left my pearl handled revolvers at the site of my bowel problem.

My mom wouldn't let me go back out to look for my guns because it was getting dark. The search would have to wait until the next day.

I NEVER FOUND MY PEARL HANDLED CAP GUNS.

Now, any time I see a set of pearl handled guns, be it on the movie Patton, on an episode of Antiques Roadshow, or on a TV western re-run, it brings back that sad and embarrassing episode.

Regular Contributor

Some where around the age of 7, it was thought there was something wrong with me. I had what is called today ADHD (attention defesite hyperactive disorder). I was a live wire, filled with energy I didn't know what to do with. Social services pressured my mother into sending me to a department of the state hospital for children with mental disorders. I spent a year there with children with a variety of behavioral disorders under the care of a phyciatrist who interviewed me every wednesday asking strange questions. When I was finally allowed to come home and rejoin society, I was an immediate outcast. No one wanted to play with me as their parents knew and told my play mates that I was that boy who had been to mental insttitute. Took years to get over that, and the memory still stings when it comes up.

Periodic Contributor

We were pretty poor but in an area where most people were. It was late 50โ€™s and white tights were the thing. I finally got a pair for Christmas and wouldnโ€™t you know, we played dodge ball on the first day back. I got hit hard and fell to my knees and ripped my tights. I cried in front of everyone. And never got another pair of tights. 

Social Butterfly

I was getting dressed for my wedding and realized my socks were down in the laundry room.  Well, I figured no problem and slid my shoes on and planned to get the socks on my way out.  My best man came to drive me to the church and was in such a hurry, I completely forgot my socks.  Well, we got to the church and I realized what I had done but it was too late.  "The show must go on"! I felt like a fool and had to wear my pants low so my ankles wouldnโ€™t show.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

It was the time there I accused Tony for setting the boxes in the room that we were not allowed to enter. It took about six periods where Tony would be able to return because of this.

It was not me or him that really did it, but it was Ambrose. It was something I was never to live with until when I heard that Tony went on in 2014. It was a blessing after the fact!

Periodic Contributor

When I farted (fotted) in church one Sunday.

The priest asked me to repeat, he didn't understand me.

Periodic Contributor

When I farted in church one Sunday.

Periodic Contributor

I was 12 and had a crush and this girl named Carole who was friends with my older sister. She came with us on a family trip to Coney Island and was looking forward to riding the The Cyclone, the epic roller coaster of the time. No one in my family wanted to go on the ride - least of all me as I was afraid of heights - but I wanted to impress Carole and look cool so I told her I'd go with her. I wound up passing out as the cars went careening around the first turn and down, down, down and then - whoooop! - back up again.

When I came to, the ride had stopped and Carole was gently shaking me, asking if I was all right - and that's when I threw up all over her - ALL over her - with an audience of many waiting to board the ride who were quite vocal in pointing out how gross it all was. Needless to say, the relationship did not progress further.

Contributor

I was in Junior High when I tried to cross a mud puddle and fell in.

Sadly my best Friend could not laughing...

I dropped my books in the mud. It was so embarrassing..My other Friend helped me pick up all my books.  I never tried to cross a mud puddle again...

@DavidC478188 wrote:

Hi, I was at a party a few nights ago and this question got asked and it became a discussion point for the next two hours!!!

Would anyone like to share their most embarrassing/awkward childhood experiences?

Contributor

Catholic school...

Girls wear veils to Mass.

i "forgot" mine thinking I wouldn't have to wear one...

WRONG!

Sister had a tissue and a bobby pin!

Lucky me! Ugh!

Sister, I have to go to the bathroom.

Not now, wait till recess.

But, I really need to go now!

Not now...

Puddle of pee drips to the floor as my tears flow harder...

Miss Chatel...stop talking.

Miss Chatel...stop talking.

Miss Chatel...bring me your catechist book so I can put a huge black dot for

girls who misbehave...AND, go kneel in front of the cross and ask forgiveness.

That cross had the ugliest Jesus in the world...he had a five o'clock shadow

and I hated that crucifix..and that was where I knelt for the remainder of class.

regardless of these and many more memories, I LOVED the nuns and Catholic school...I was just bratty and stubborn...kind of like the movie.."The trouble with angels" lol..,in eighth grade I actually thought I might want to be a nun!

Periodic Contributor

I farted (fotted)  in church one Sunday.  The priest said "I didn't hear  what you said.  Would you please repeat what you said."  I tried it again but something went wrong.  It turned to  "I **bleep** myself".

Contributor

Still remember like it was yesterday....

I was invited to a birthday /swim party when I was around 13 years old.

It fell during THAT time of the month, so I figured I wouldn't be able to swim!

An older , wiser friend had suggested trying a tampon which my old fashioned mom had never let me try.

The friend gave me one, so I took care of my business and off to the party we went!

At one point everyone was ordered out of the pool as they spotted a "bug" and needed to get it out. I wanted to help, but was told to stay back.

Yup, the bug was that stupid tampon that inexperienced me had simply layed like a pad in my suit. It floated out somehow during our roughhousing ,and I was scolded by my friend's Mom that I could have clogged the filter because of my foolishness!

At 13, I cried , and wanted to crawl under a rock....instead, I left for home immediately and stayed under the radar for quite a while.

Never used them again..even the proper way! Yikes!

I was a VERY shy child (not any more tho). I think it was in 5th grade that I had to give an oral book report in front of my class.  I was SO upset that I fainted part way through my report...  VERY embarrassing!

Contributor

From the age of 6 on my mother used to physically abuse me but it was always in private at home except for one occasion when i was 12. I had gone to my best friends house 4 houses down. His cousin, who lived accross the street, came over and wanted to get s stickball game going. Just around the corner of our road, 2 houses down, was a better place to play, less traffic. My best friends mom knew where i was and told me not to worry she would let my mom know if she cane looking for me. Unfortunately she did. When she found me, she grBbed me by the hair on top of my head and proceeded to beat me with s metal yard dtick accross my back and butt all the way to our car where she threw me in by my hair. I could not go down to my friends for a month and when finally allowed to, it was hard to face my friend.

Periodic Contributor

Very sad. Iโ€™m sorry. My mother was very kind. (My stepfather was a diffystory!).
Kudos
Views
Contributor

I was in grade school and running in a big race. The coaches said if you get way behind, run right through the middle of the field to catch up. Little did I know they were just kidding so I ran right through the middle of the track, took a short cut. Everyone in the stands were laughing and pointing. I was so gullible!

Regular Contributor

During my 8th grade graduation, although I knew nothing about alcoholism back then, my mom who had a drinking problem at the time showed up intoxicated to the graduation ceremony. Embarassment was not something that I can actually say I felt at the time, but more along the lines of extreme anger because as I said although I knew nothing about alcoholism back then...I do remember telling my sisters and brother that I did not understand why people could not excercise some self control on drinking especially when they know the entire family will be present. Oh well, water under the bridge now, but I do remember.

Contributor

It was a cold winter day in Red Wing, Minnesota in 1954 and I was a kindergardener.  I can't remember 'why' but I decided to stick my tongue onto the iron bars located at the front of the grade school.  As you can imagine, my tongue instantly froze on those bars which happened to also be the time when the school bell rang for all the kids to go to their classrooms.  Since I wasn't going anywhere due to that tongue freezing onto that metal bar, all I could do was wait.  I'm glad someone informed a teacher because someone did come out to me (and my precarious situation) after several minutes and ran warm water over my tongue in an attempt to get it dislodged.  It partially helped with the need to also give a strong pull leaving some of my tongue skin on that bar.  My tongue healed with time but I was embarrassed for a bit.  As a little tyke though, it was forgotten soon enough except for my memories to never do that again!

Honored Social Butterfly

After reading some of the other postings, I'm reminded of another incident that only embarrasses me because my mother told the story over and over again.

When I was a very small child (under 3, I think) my mother and I were going to downtown Atlanta on the street car that ran near our house to the stores downtown.  It was a time when I was no longer wearing diapers and it was my mother's habit to remind me to go to the bathroom the last thing before we left the house and afterwards to put a clean pair of panties on  me.

On this particular day it was not until she lifted me up to the stool at the lunch counter at Woolworths that she felt only skin under my skirt.  Luckily it was a store that sold children's panties, so she bought some, but there was no dressing room so she had to have me put them on right there in the isle in the store.  Needless to say that after that, a part of the ritual of leaving home was to check to see if I was wearing my panties.

Bronze Conversationalist

Starting when I was about 3 years old, whenever we'd have guests my control freak father would make me stand up in front of everyone and sing the song "Put your arms around me honey, hold me tight". I used to hate it when my parents had company. Later, when I learned to play the piano, he made me play songs whenever anyone visited. I was never outgoing and this was very embarrassing for me.  

Regular Contributor

It's really only embarrassing in retrospect. When I was three, I was singing in a Christmas pagent at Church when my panties fell off. Non plussed I just stepped out of them and kept singing!

Conversationalist

My Dad was playing Santa Claus one year, and his boss lived next door to us (that is a whole other story!) and told me to call there and tell him to put his kids in another room as he was coming in the back door.  I called and quickly rattled off that message.  There was silence on the other end and a voice asked, "Who is this?"  Yep!  Wrong number!

Periodic Contributor

Way to many to pick just one. Pretty much everday I was an embarrasment to someone or someting.

Contributor

My one em bare ass moment needs to die with me and those who were present that day.

Honored Social Butterfly

I told a joke with a very adult punch line around 5th grade.

The teacher was not happy and sent me too the principals office where he told me why it was not appropriate for someone my age to have told in school. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Periodic Contributor

You're lucky!

That's fairly mild!

Honored Social Butterfly

The earliest embarrassing thing I can remember was when I was about three years old.  I was taught about the phone at a very early age because my father was self-employed and our house was also his office.  I was taught to answer the phone in a business-like voice.  I was not taught about how to call someone, but I somehow figured it out, or thought I did.

I tried to call my favorite uncle.  I might have just dialed random numbers because it was before I knew how to read.  Anyway a man answered the phone who I thought was Uncle Bill.  I don't think I told him who I was, but just started to talk to him.  I don't remember what I told him or how long I talked before I finally learned I was talking to a total stranger.

Periodic Contributor

That's your most embarrassing childhood experience??

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP