Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What is your most embarrassing/awkward childhood experience?

Message 11 of 28

Catholic school...

Girls wear veils to Mass.

i "forgot" mine thinking I wouldn't have to wear one...

WRONG!

Sister had a tissue and a bobby pin!

Lucky me! Ugh!

Sister, I have to go to the bathroom.

Not now, wait till recess.

But, I really need to go now!

Not now...

Puddle of pee drips to the floor as my tears flow harder...

Miss Chatel...stop talking.

Miss Chatel...stop talking.

Miss Chatel...bring me your catechist book so I can put a huge black dot for

girls who misbehave...AND, go kneel in front of the cross and ask forgiveness.

That cross had the ugliest Jesus in the world...he had a five o'clock shadow

and I hated that crucifix..and that was where I knelt for the remainder of class.

regardless of these and many more memories, I LOVED the nuns and Catholic school...I was just bratty and stubborn...kind of like the movie.."The trouble with angels" lol..,in eighth grade I actually thought I might want to be a nun!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 28

Still remember like it was yesterday....

I was invited to a birthday /swim party when I was around 13 years old.

It fell during THAT time of the month, so I figured I wouldn't be able to swim!

An older , wiser friend had suggested trying a tampon which my old fashioned mom had never let me try.

The friend gave me one, so I took care of my business and off to the party we went!

At one point everyone was ordered out of the pool as they spotted a "bug" and needed to get it out. I wanted to help, but was told to stay back.

Yup, the bug was that stupid tampon that inexperienced me had simply layed like a pad in my suit. It floated out somehow during our roughhousing ,and I was scolded by my friend's Mom that I could have clogged the filter because of my foolishness!

At 13, I cried , and wanted to crawl under a rock....instead, I left for home immediately and stayed under the radar for quite a while.

Never used them again..even the proper way! Yikes!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 28

I was a VERY shy child (not any more tho). I think it was in 5th grade that I had to give an oral book report in front of my class.  I was SO upset that I fainted part way through my report...  VERY embarrassing!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 28

From the age of 6 on my mother used to physically abuse me but it was always in private at home except for one occasion when i was 12. I had gone to my best friends house 4 houses down. His cousin, who lived accross the street, came over and wanted to get s stickball game going. Just around the corner of our road, 2 houses down, was a better place to play, less traffic. My best friends mom knew where i was and told me not to worry she would let my mom know if she cane looking for me. Unfortunately she did. When she found me, she grBbed me by the hair on top of my head and proceeded to beat me with s metal yard dtick accross my back and butt all the way to our car where she threw me in by my hair. I could not go down to my friends for a month and when finally allowed to, it was hard to face my friend.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 28

I was in grade school and running in a big race. The coaches said if you get way behind, run right through the middle of the field to catch up. Little did I know they were just kidding so I ran right through the middle of the track, took a short cut. Everyone in the stands were laughing and pointing. I was so gullible!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 28

During my 8th grade graduation, although I knew nothing about alcoholism back then, my mom who had a drinking problem at the time showed up intoxicated to the graduation ceremony. Embarassment was not something that I can actually say I felt at the time, but more along the lines of extreme anger because as I said although I knew nothing about alcoholism back then...I do remember telling my sisters and brother that I did not understand why people could not excercise some self control on drinking especially when they know the entire family will be present. Oh well, water under the bridge now, but I do remember.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 28

My one em bare ass moment needs to die with me and those who were present that day.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 28

After reading some of the other postings, I'm reminded of another incident that only embarrasses me because my mother told the story over and over again.

When I was a very small child (under 3, I think) my mother and I were going to downtown Atlanta on the street car that ran near our house to the stores downtown.  It was a time when I was no longer wearing diapers and it was my mother's habit to remind me to go to the bathroom the last thing before we left the house and afterwards to put a clean pair of panties on  me.

On this particular day it was not until she lifted me up to the stool at the lunch counter at Woolworths that she felt only skin under my skirt.  Luckily it was a store that sold children's panties, so she bought some, but there was no dressing room so she had to have me put them on right there in the isle in the store.  Needless to say that after that, a part of the ritual of leaving home was to check to see if I was wearing my panties.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 28

It was a cold winter day in Red Wing, Minnesota in 1954 and I was a kindergardener.  I can't remember 'why' but I decided to stick my tongue onto the iron bars located at the front of the grade school.  As you can imagine, my tongue instantly froze on those bars which happened to also be the time when the school bell rang for all the kids to go to their classrooms.  Since I wasn't going anywhere due to that tongue freezing onto that metal bar, all I could do was wait.  I'm glad someone informed a teacher because someone did come out to me (and my precarious situation) after several minutes and ran warm water over my tongue in an attempt to get it dislodged.  It partially helped with the need to also give a strong pull leaving some of my tongue skin on that bar.  My tongue healed with time but I was embarrassed for a bit.  As a little tyke though, it was forgotten soon enough except for my memories to never do that again!

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 28

Starting when I was about 3 years old, whenever we'd have guests my control freak father would make me stand up in front of everyone and sing the song "Put your arms around me honey, hold me tight". I used to hate it when my parents had company. Later, when I learned to play the piano, he made me play songs whenever anyone visited. I was never outgoing and this was very embarrassing for me.  

Kudos
Views