Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2019

Message 51 of 253

@n566192l 

If your nest is large and on poles (utility) on Fort Monmouth wonder if it might be an osprey nest, which NJ had issues with in 2017. This look like your nest??

https://tworivertimes.com/osprey-nests-vex-oceanport/

Or perhaps a Bald Eagle, you had some according to this link on poles around Ft. Monmouth.

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/ensp/pdf/eglrpt18.pdf

If they’re  anything like the bald eagles that nest in the trees above my old camp, movement is not allowed for progress? Or man?

During construction of new dike, 2 nests were removed and placed on new structures, man made.

Quickly abandoned by Bald Eagles and ignored, Think Mother Nature flipped the bird to modern thinking. Moving an established nest of more than 50 years in old growth pines wasn’t  going to happen.The birds went back to my pines.

*Wish you and Epster joy in birding.😎 If you have pictures of the nest, perhaps @Msstretch can assist.

And no problem on packages, have been busy. Preparing.

Froze

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 253

Greetings All

We are experiencing the same weather as Catwoman500 posted. I did have an owl land on my outside table this morning. My 🐕 let me know, the owl was there. So, I kept them in the house until the owl decided to do what he wanted to do. I do have a family of blue Jays , in my 🌲. They like to dive bomb my neighbors 🐈. There's some kind of large nest on the polls at the old Fort Monmouth . Epster, tried to help me figure out what type of bird made the nest. Other than that, just taking the non vegan donations to a local church to be given out today. Stay safe and warm and enjoy your holiday. Frozenoem, I forget the post office was closed today. Will send out tomorrow.

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 253

22* and sunny, flurries passed, there is a flurry/sleet event on the horizon but, it’s for Wed-Thursday here.

For me, hopefully will be non-event will be cold 0’s should make for powder.

At this stage paranoia reigns only when feet of snow are involved. The rodent lied for Maine.

It was bright enough today to require my shades, went for a walk. Remained upright need to prepare for mud season/and airborne frost heave season which should begin in March.

Frost heave season is when those lovely cracks appear across roads and your car goes airborne. Some are downright news worthy, fully loaded log trucks take air before roads close to stabilize.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 253

Hi, All

Another nice-ish day here. It's 42, feeling like 36 with the sun in and out. The sky looks weird...lots of moving dark clouds.

A weather event, probably snow, due here on Wednesday. Not sure what the accumulation is supposed to be, but heard it was changing to rain as it ends. My friend wants to cancel our  already previously postponed breakfast. HA!

Robins have been congregating on my lawn since January. Haven't seen any cardinals for a while though. The other day, aside from the cold temps, it sounded like summer outside. So many birds chirping.

Hope you snow area people are OK. N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 253

Just over cast and 36 here in Shrewsbury Township, NJ. I am getting all the vegan stuff ready for today's share. I was able to pickup some great donations this week. Since, the weather has been changing, Food Not Bombs, has been providing meals 4x a week. Part of the hospitality program with local Churches, is food, a safe warm place to sleep and get help with any resources available. I am off to drop off the supplies I picked up. I just hope everyone is doing well and is safe. Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 253

@n566192l 

A VW with a Subaru engine? Got it. Understand desire to keep vehicles small, where I generally ended up going moose tracks and logging roads, vehicles started to get smaller.

The Travelcraft was 27’, replaced with tent , to 4x4 Pickup with Truck Camper in bed of Same 20’ Of comfort @ 25 mpg.

Jist watch That first step when walking the dogs.

26* sunny and seem to have snow shed off roof, feel buried.Steel roof and steep 11/12 pitch roof snow falls off easily. Going to be another day for shoveling, need to gingerly get to windows buried.🤣

@LaDolceVita 

Neighbor dug out my garage, and front door this morning, might get to open doors by Spring. With surprise delivery of firewood to front porch, garage doors still frozen.

The ice is making things harder on cleanup, but, at least it works for insulation atop the snow.

It’s the way up here, when my snowblower was able to leave garage, I’d blow out his driveway. Power outage in summer, extension cord to his house to run appliances 3 days.

Need Caffeine and then a little more room for Chelli on her run, that picture was her run she now has 3’wide x 9 foot deep just not cutting it yet.

Generally is snow blown out 300’ x 60’, seem to have lost that with the ice buildup between layers, and 5’ deep snow.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 253

@catwoman500 wrote:

@LaDolceVita ...Be careful. Let's try to keep that head as far from the ground as possible!

@Frozenoem...As pretty as your snow looks, I'd be sick worrying about how to get out! That is not for me. Good luck and be careful. N.

@catwoman500  Haha your warning staement made me laugh! Chinese dinner in sounds pretty good but I take it the group still had to get out to gather together.

@Frozenoem   That picture of Chelli looking at the snow is a keeper and I have kept it.  

Have a pleasant Sunday everyone.  We are fogged in, it feels cold & clammy even

though it is 49 degrees.  Froze would be shedding his coat!

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 253

See the source imageGood Morning Everyone!

It's 24 degrees right now.  It's overcast and cloudy.  But we've not had any new snow for days and days.  There's just patches of snow here and there  as most of the snow we had a week ago has for the most part mettled away.  The main thing is the roads and sidewalks are clear and dry.  Makes travelling so much easier.

Yesterday evening I scattered bird food in various areas around my backyard and today I've been blessed with a variety of birds--bluejays, cardinals, sparrows, etc.  I can hear them singing right now.  Although it's been years since I had a pet dog, I consider the birds which I feed daily like my "free"  pets (meaning their not bound in any way and are free to come and go as they do).

Bluejays -- my favorite local bird!

Anyway, I hope the groundhog's prediction holds up and Spring will arrive a little bit earlier than the calendar says.  But in any case, I hope everyone's weather has kinda settled down; no more extremes.

So Front Porchers, enjoy your Sunday!   

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 253

Frozenoem,

My van is a 1985 VW Conversion, Subaru. I never owned anything as large as yours. Glad the two of you were able get out of the house. We are looking at snow midweek, as Catwoman500 posted. It's 42 now, yesterday 60 . Ms Chelli picture looking at all the snow, reminds me of women waiting for their men to return from the sea. Well , if it's any consolation to you, I am too short for my height. How everyone is doing well and enjoying your day.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 253

@LaDolceVita 

@catwoman500 

I’m doing all I can not to fall, never walked this slowly in my life.Slow and me used to be dirty words.

Just want to return to hiking fast, sitting in house getting annoying, need answers. Cross country ski’s old style taught me how to fall, right. But, that was in ‘88 when I was in slightly better shape.🤣

Neighbor up road keeps telling me at 6’10 it’s a bugger falling and getting up the taller you are.

He’s right.

Just want my balance back.Time to shovel Chell needs her run back 31* and sunny, might make it 3’ x 15’, should keep me upright and her from jumping or stepping over the fence.

@n566192l 

Had a ‘78 Travelcraft back in the 80’s, gave me perpetual scare of Chevies. 2 transmissions worth.

Froze

Kudos
Views