Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! CLOSED

Message 1 of 253

PLEASE USE MORNING ROLL CALL! MARCH  - APRIL

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: MORNING ROLL CALL! JANUARY-FEBRUARY 2019

Message 2 of 253

Beautiful lighthouses! My mom was from Maine and as kids we spent hours at various lighthouses. Thank you for sharing. Kelly 

Kelly Morgan
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 253

@n566192l 

When I was stationed at Fort Monmouth Mary and I went to the base on Sandy Hook to spend time on the beach.  We saw the Lighthouse there in 1968. I had military I.D. and bumper stickers so it was no problem getting on the base. At that time it was a major Cold War Nike Missiles base so I was surprised we could go there.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 253

Dave, 

New Jersey has a 2 day Light House Challenge. Can you guess how many Light House, and stair, one has to  climb in 2 days.

I have done the event 3 times, thanks to Google maps.

Nancy

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 253

@LaDolceVita . I will not forget that wind event for sure. I heard from my friend later that the cashier in the diner had to come out to help my friend into her car because she was getting slammed up against the car that was parked next to hers! I had wanted to turn around to see if she had gotten safely in her car, but it was impossible! I had my cane, but it was not any help.

It had to be a freak thing. Whew! never have liked wind, andnow I really hate it! Cat Tongue N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 253

@k836981m Welcome to the Front Porch! 

I became a member of this group in January of 2009 when I retired. I live in Madison,  Wisconsin and became a fan of Lighthouses about 18 years ago. Wisconsin has a lot of Lighthouses on Lake Michigan and Green Bay and I have visited about 3/4 of them. I have posted articles about them here.  In the Fall of 2009 after my wife Mary and I were both retired we took a 2 week trip along the Pacific coast visiting relatives and Lighthouses. 

Over the years I have been active in trying to get Congress to provide funding Lighthouse repairs. In this economy that has been minimal but we need to do what we can to preserve our history. Many private groups have funded and have done repairs to local Lighthouses. 

I have a few pictures I will post of lights I have visited. 

Dave

FB_IMG_1542595879071.jpgFB_IMG_1454012869465.jpgFB_IMG_1462235657946.jpgFB_IMG_1447367011477.jpgFB_IMG_1453842602740.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 253

@LaDolceVita 

Wood stoves backup, generator backup, neighbors backup, friends and relations backup.

You live in most any rural area, backup plans abound.  Can’t open door to go out and not really into stepping over a 7 foot fence, call a neighbor. If close,

Neighbor, friends or relation backup is for who has power, wood or generator - and want to stay at my house.

Warming up now -11*, Need electricity to sleep. Neighbor takes on new meaning up here or anywhere else.

Never know when you need a jump or shovel. If really out in the puckerbrush you hope you have enough supplies on hand to survive, just in case.

Have been there, done that before as has pretty much everyone, I can think of.

Time to call and get update on power my area🤣. Don’t really want To brew another pot, only 4 cylinders of gas on hand.😇 Percolator Or French press for woodstove - backups.🤣

Froze

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 253

@Frozenoem  To be w/o power at those temps sounds rather scary.  I wonder how the very old or sick manage? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 253

@n566192l 

Thanks spam is great!

sleep didn’t happen, had to feed stove all night, lost power.

Chell is warm wool blanket and couch. Me -wool watch cap, insulated pants,Sorel’s and Bean parka, it gets downright nippy at -26*.

Warming up -22* and sun is up👍 No rest for the weary, can’t sleep until furnace works. Found another must have for outages in garage, battery operated fan to move woodstove heat to kitchen.

2-3 more hours before I might get to sleep. 

Froze

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 253

Frozenoem,

I sent the box out today. My Aunt Eileen, gave me some suggestions on what to send. Remember I told you she's a nut. She told me to include Spam. So, spam is a coming. Plus, other stuff. Just  hope it helps 😊. Plus maks you laugh 😂

Nancy 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark