Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: HOW OFTEN?

Message 1 of 17

@n566192l. we miss your posting here! It has been almost a month since your last posting. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 17

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 17
BeBa789
My sister-in-law has had to deal with an ungrateful daughter and one very ungrateful granddaughter. Her son-in-law has created most of this issue and she has removed them all from her will.
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 17

These days the only time I hear from my 21 yr. old and 16 year old Grandchildren is when they want money. My son is getting a divorce and their Mother is teaching them this behavior. She is an angry controlling woman. To those who get to talk,and text with their loved ones I am happy for them. I could see this if they were in need but she just used student loan money to help pay for two dogs at the cost of $5000.00 from Petland. I have offically cut them off. So they have cut me off.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 5 of 17

I talked with my mom everyday over the past 2 years, sometimes more. However we did go for about 20 years without communication, I feel blessed that I got to spend precious time with her before she passed! My sons do not call me, my daughter maybe once a month. I do not talk with my father as I did with my mom, I call every few weeks. I would love it if I got a check in call at least once a month. 

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 6 of 17

3 kids. #1 son, 38, calls his mother every day and me the most days I'd guess. He's a charmer and knows where the balance of power lies. No matter how short the call, she knows she will hear from him daily. 

Daughter, 34, and son also 34, yes, they're twins.

She calls me when she needs something or something is broken. She's divorced and I help her with her 4-year-old girl regularly- and am delighted to do it- usually. She and her mom will usually be operating some sort of obscure feud that I can't keep track of no matter how much they tell me. In between diatribes, complaints, and interpretations of social media posts as slings and arrows in a war too subtle for me to detect, they talk on the phone for hours at a time. What on earth can they find to talk about for that long and never once mention the election, baseball, or the Civil War? I thought they were mad at each other? Better stay out of it, besides, they have to talk to arrange their shopping, lunches, and pedicures.

And then there's #2 son. We actually have two for one with him. We'll call them #2a and #2b. "A" is the sweetest, kindest, most respectful, helpful and generous kid you would ever want. "What a nice young man." "B" is not. He'll call during his long commute, and you know it's in a large part to assuage his boredom. You will either get a fascinating and informative discussion of an art object, antique, or personality #2a had encountered that day, or you will be hearing a very upset #2b providing a furious running commentary on the vehicular felons with whom he is forced to share the road. You will also hear from him on the weekend when his wife works a day and he wants to go climbing, fishing, sailing; "You should spend more time with the kids, don't ya think?" Transparent as they may be we really like those calls.

So no complaints, 3 kids, and I figure about 20-30 calls a week. Now, if they would just get all their stuff out of the basement and garage.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 7 of 17

I don't have any relatives. All passed away.

Highlighted

Message 8 of 17

I have the same problem with my daughter but she is an artist and I want to respect her space. If there is an emergency, she will call and I invite her over for brunch or dinner on occasion. So far, that is working.

Highlighted

Message 9 of 17
My daughter who lives 3500 miles away and I talk 2-3 times a week and text in between. I hear (text only) from my daughter who lives 4 miles away when I reach out (text only) first. Rarely will she contact me first. She told me she hates chatting on the phone so I don't call knowing my call would go unanswered anyway.
Highlighted

Message 10 of 17

My parents are deceased and there are 5 of us - spread out all over.  I try to use their birthdays as a reminder to call or text them once a month.  I have it programmed into my calendar.  There are times that I skip it, just because of other stuff going on, but I miss talking to them, or at least connecting with them in some form or fashion at least once a month.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.