Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Supplement Insurance plans

I have C O P D , and been turned down by numerous  medicare supplement health Insurance,

even your Physician Mutual. Can you give me some advice on what supplement Insurance is out there and one who will cover me.

Thank you for your time

Ms. Debra Carter

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@dc29045071 since you state you have been turned down by numerous  medicare supplement health Insurance" I must assume you are not in your IEP, reside in a state that requires underwriting, does not have a carrier of last resort or qualify under one of these "guaranteed issue" situations.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

I am not aware of any Medigap carrier that will UNDERWRITE and approve someone with COPD.

Even if you found such a carrier the premium would probably be unaffordable.

Bark less. Wag more.
Honored Social Butterfly

@somarco wrote:

@dc29045071 since you state you have been turned down by numerous  medicare supplement health Insurance" I must assume you are not in your IEP, reside in a state that requires underwriting, does not have a carrier of last resort or qualify under one of these "guaranteed issue" situations.

https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

I am not aware of any Medigap carrier that will UNDERWRITE and approve someone with COPD.

Even if you found such a carrier the premium would probably be unaffordable.

I got the impression that the OP might be less than 65 years old (on SSDI) and lives in a state that does not offer Medigap coverage for those less than 65 years old.

But until there are more descriptive details offered by the OP - it is all speculative.

For good question answering, the pertinent details/info have to be known because it is all rather complicated and specifics matter a lot.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@dc29045071 wrote:

I have C O P D , and been turned down by numerous  medicare supplement health Insurance,

even your Physician Mutual. Can you give me some advice on what supplement Insurance is out there and one who will cover me.

Thank you for your time

Ms. Debra Carter

Debra,

PLEASE EDIT YOUR POST AND REMOVE YOUR PERSONAL INFO (EMAIL ADDRESS)

Next, after I answer your question here, I am going to ask the moderator to move this thread to the "Medicare and Insurance Board" where your question better fits and where there are others who may give you other info.

Now to answer your question - partly with a Question for you.

Traditional (original) Medicare gives people the option of buying a Supplemental policy to pay some of the beneficiary's out of pocket cost.  This coverage is better know as MEDIGAP coverage because that is in essence what it is - GAP coverage - it does little else except pick up some of the beneficiary's out of pocket cost.

Although the various Medigap plan designs are dictated by the Federal Medicare laws, the state where you are located also has some regulatory oversite and rule making.

Now my questions for you because these details are important in answering your question and maybe give you some direction..

• What State are you located within?
  • Are you 65 years old or are you younger and have Medicare because you are on Social Security Disability and have been on it for at least 24 months?
  • If you are at least 65 years old and are on original Medicare, how long have you been on Medicare?  More than 6 months?
  • Have you ever had a Medicare Advantage plan before switching to original Medicare?

A LOCAL Medicare Insurance Agent or your states' SHIP (State Health Insurance Programs) representative may also be able to help you - or at least give you the reason(s) why you are not able to get a Medigap policy -

Medicare is a complicated insurance program with all its moving parts - I will be happy to help you, in general, but those details are important in answering your question specifically.

Some Resources for you:

Medicare.gov - What's Medicare Supplement Insurance (MEDIGAP)? 

Then follow along each of the topics on the left hand-side of the page -

Screenshot_2020-05-29 What's Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) Medicare.png

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP