Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being droped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 1 of 688

I'm glad you can use Renew at your current health club. Unfortunately, the health club that I've been going to for over 30 years only participates in Silver Sneakers, NOT Renew. I tried LA Fitness by me using Renew, but still liked my health club better. Plus, LA Fitness was 30 minutes away, mine 5 min. So I left AARP/UHC's supplemental plan and now have a Humana Supplement Plan which offers Silver Sneakers so I can continue to work out at my preferred health club.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 688

This post is an update to the experience my spouse and I had over the Silver Sneakers debacle with AARP/UHC Medicare Supplement Plan (not Advantage plans!).  We complained vehemently to AARP when the change was made last year to drop the Silver Sneakers benefit to LA Fitness, a gym we have used for several years.  We decided to ride out the change--we paid our $22 per month per person for the year 2019 for our continued gym memberships and hoped that our voices had been heard by those in power in AARP along with maintaining our Supplement Plan with AARP/UHC.  We were very happy to see the change in Renew Active for 2020!  The management with LA Fitness was most cooperative in setting a plan to cancel our contracts, apply our last month fees, and start the new membership under Renew Active with LA Fitness.  We have experienced zero problems. The transition was smooth and easy and we have very positive feelings regarding what transpired.  We believe that AARP listens.  But as any other big organization, it takes time for them to act once the voices are heard. Yes, our Medicare Supplement Plan dues increased.  Yes, we know that AARP is paid by vendors in exchange for the opportunity to have our business.  Yes, AARP is a business.  However, if a member has a grievance, it pays to make your position heard in a positive fashion. AARP works a lot better than the governmental garbage we are seeing on television now.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 688

The following link is to an official Congressional investigation report completed in 2011 and explains a lot, most likely this link will be removed before much time passes. AARP is not what they seem.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/1446464/aarp-report-final-pdf-3-29-11

aarp-report-final-pdf-3-29-11.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 688

"We've gotta protect our phony baloney jobs!".............the governor, Blazing Saddles

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 5 of 688

The Renew Active site addresses this in their FAQs - you can indeed have more than one gym membership.
I kept my main membership at LA Fitness, which offers Silver Sneakers classes 3x a week free, and most all other group fitness classes are included as well; I go to yoga on the weekend. The front desk says I can visit any other LA Fitness without re-registering as well

This however, is not what I mean when I say 'more than one gym'.
A few weeks ago, I used the same RenewActive confirmation code to join a local Park District program for free as well. I joined that program because they have an indoor walking/running track, which I can access for free. They also have a schedule of group fitness classe (including Silver Sneakers) that I can attend anytime for free.

I'm currently eyeing a third fitness center from a neighboring town because they offer Tai Chi

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 688

@TheodoreV321949 

AARP Services, Inc., founded in 1999, is a wholly owned taxable subsidiary of AARP that manages the range of products and services offered as benefits to members.
Parent Organization:  AARP
Subsidiary:  AARP Financials, Inc.

They do the picking and the choosing of benefits for the most part - they do the negotiations.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 688

United Health Care pays AARP a huge stipend each year.   It goes to say that it's not in AARPs' interest to negotiate with UHC.  One would think with over 38 million members there would be some sort of bargaining power.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 688

The American Association of RETIRED Persons, (AARP), has over 38 million members.   Its' mission is to "work to address the needs and interests of middle-aged and elderly people in the United States".   One would think with that kind of power AARP could negotiate lower rates and benefits with United Health Care, (UHC).  

Then one, digging deeper, would discover AARP receives a huge stipend fron UHC each year.   So much for addressing the needs of elderly people.

We are also led to believe that we will receive "special" rates from UHC, but only if we are members of AARP.   Shame on me for accepting this as true.    I found several insurance companies offering the same policies as UHC at much lower rates.  Unfortunately, like UHC, these companies only offer "Silver Sneakers",  as part of "Advantage" plans.  

Fortunately, I found a company that offers the exact plan I had with AARP/UHC plan at a MUCH lower monthly rate.  Silver Sneakers is not offered with this company.  The good news is that the savings on my premium was such that I could afford to pay my full monthly gym membership fee and still have extra dollars left!

By the way, I've also cancelled my AARP membership and joined another association for mature citizens.   Studying where AARP spends its' members money made that decision for me.

I wish you all well!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers being dropped by AARP recommended insurer

Message 9 of 688

I did not know till this morning that AARP dropped Silver Sneakers. We should be informed by mail before this happened. I go to 2 gyms and so far nobody has told me about this . Just waiting to see what happens but if I lose my memberships I will be very disappointed because as we get older we need the gyms,I can't afford to go if I lose thid

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 688

I am having a hard time getting my YMCA to accept the Renew Active plan. However, there are multiple YMCAs signed up in the near by communities that have signed up. They accepted this last year but are refusing it this year. I am currently being charged a monthly membership and have to pay for classes every 6 weeks which is getting very costly. Can someone Please tell me why a YMCA would refuse to sign up and if there is anything I can do? 

Thank you,

MJK

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users