Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 31 of 65 (14,147 Views)

j73671b wrote:

j73671b wrote:

. . . . . But we arranged for you to pay a discounted price to join Silver Sneakers on your own. 

I cannot find a supplemenatl plan that offers Silver Sneakers as a benefit and that has a suitable premium.  By the way BC/BS may not offer Silver Sneakers as a benefit with its supplemenatl plan.  It does offer Silver Sneakers with a Medicare Advantage plan.

Yes, Medicare Advantage plans sometimes use extra benefits to lure in insurees.  Rarely is this sort of extra benefit offered in a Medigap (supplemental) policy.  However, if you do happen to find one, take note that certain pre-existing health conditions may not be immediately or fully covered under a new policy.

(See the heading of " REPLACING YOUR EXISTING MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT POLICY WITH ONE FROM A DIFFERENT COMPANY" at this linkSmiley Happy

Michigan Dept of Insurance and Financial Services: Medicare Supplement Policies

Have you checked the discounted price they are offering?  Seems like the easier, softer way if you are otherwise pleased with the supplemental policy.  Remember that ALL supplemental plans under whichever alphabet must cover the same things and only vary by price normally.

Info Seeker

Message 32 of 65 (14,185 Views)

The reply you got from AARP/United is a big joke.   You wote: I spoke with a representative about this matter and was told that strong support was shown for the alternative benefits they will offer.

The new scheme is not in effect yet but they say it has "strong support".

If anyone knows of a competitively priced Plan F that will offer Silver Sneakers in 2017, please post that info.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 65 (14,188 Views)

(I hope this message works.  The site is not well designed in my opinion.)  I am also in Michigan and am disappointed that Silver Sneakers has been eliminated as a benefit.  The explanation letter from AARP/United is nonsense.  "AARP no longer provides this benefit.  But we arranged for you to pay a discounted price to join Silver Sneakers on your own.  And AARP/United has some other worthless fitness benefits.  Why you can phone and speak to someone for advice."  Big deal.

I cannot find a supplemenatl plan that offers Silver Sneakers as a benefit and that has a suitable premium.  By the way BC/BS may not offer Silver Sneakers as a benefit with its supplemenatl plan.  It does offer Silver Sneakers with a Medicare Advantage plan.

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 65 (14,291 Views)

I am in Michigan. Do you know what other insurance companies might offer Silver Sneakers with the Medicare Supplement? I have not been able to find one and I want to leave United Health Care for taking this very valuable benefit away and still raising my rate!

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 65 (8,861 Views)

Wow!  I usually do not read these forums. The Silver Sneakers membership is going to be the determining factor in my selection of a supplemental Medicare policy.  This is really a shame. 

Conversationalist

Message 36 of 65 (9,346 Views)

I think it's a done deal.  For us, it amounts to a $50/month premium increase all by itself, since that's what it will cost us to keep the Silver Sneakers gym membership at the new "special" rate of 50% off.

We got Silver Sneakers in our Plan F.  It looks like BCBS Plan F's still have Silver Sneakers next year.  We're looking at switching to the Blues.

Info Seeker

Message 37 of 65 (5,959 Views)

United Healthcare is also discontinuing Silver Sneakers in Kentucky.  Any ideas on how we can fight this?

Info Seeker

Message 38 of 65 (7,108 Views)

I also received a letter from MI United Healthcare telling me and my husband that Silver Sneakers would no longer be covered by my insurance plan.  I spoke with a representative about this matter and was told that strong support was shown for the alternative benefits they will offer in place of Silver Sneakers and that these benefits would support a larger number of their membership. 

These are 1. Personalized wellness resources.  (this involves phone and wellness coaches and joining online groups. 2. A registered nurse by phone. 3. Community resources, healthcare cost saving opportunities and social services.  

All these may or may not be exciting to others but I seriously doubt it takes the place of joining a Silver Sneakers group where you have both social interaction and physical exercise.  I suspect some of the new services might be a means of financial reimbursement for United Healthcare from Medicare.  

AARP should use their immense lobbying power to support all their members in making Silver Sneakers available.  As you have so often preached there is nothing more medically and mentally important than getting up and out of the house and exercising.  Group interaction is an important part of this.

I have supported AARP in all their requests to help lobby for other good issues.  Please help us to keep Siliver Sneakers as a part of the AARP United Healthcare plan in all states.

Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 39 of 65 (6,201 Views)

Silver Sneakers is being removed from AARP Medicare plans, at least in Michigan, as of January 1 2017.  What a shame.  They're replacing it with a 50% discount at some fitness centers.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 40 of 65 (9,387 Views)

You can go to any gym or fitness facility that participates in Silver Sneakers give them your name, address (you don’t need to even tell them who your insurance is) and they can tell you using the Silver Sneakers database if you have that benefit.

My AARP/United Healthcare supplement plan includes Silver Sneakers.