Help seniors affected by the California wildfires! Donate now and your gift will be matched up to a total of $300,000.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 21 of 137

Not if you have UHC thru AARP.  Silver Sneakers has been dropped from this supplemental plan.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 137

I have medicare because of being on disability. It was healthnet and they changed to Allwell. I have been told for the past 2.5 years that silver sneakers is a benefit with medicare and that I would receive a card. Still have yet to receive any information on the program from healthnet, allwell or medicare. My agent said the local gyms knows about it and if I just go with my medicare card they will honor it.

The cancellation/reduced benefit that is being talked about appears to be related to UHC or other specific insurance companies. Does anyone know if medicare/disability is also cancelling this program?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 137

UHC has a new plan for gym membership. Optum Fitness. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 137

@BeckyLHunt wrote: 

WHO THEN?

UHC.  This is a benefit offered by the insurance company (outside of the insurance contract).  They control it entirely.  According to other posts they are not the only company that has done this.

AARP?

I called AARP.  The representative had no knowledge of this.

Obviously not them.

Ron

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 137

Hey AARP.  Thanks for letting United Healthcare discontinue Silver Sneakers in Arizona.  It's the one benefit that my wife and I got via AARP by choosing the AARP/United Healthcare supplement coverage over other options.  Looks like you forgot to stand up for us with your United Healthcare endorsement.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 137
Check the Silver Sneakers website. I thought eligibility for this program was based more on your health insurance than on AARP membership, at least that's how I joined. My Blue Cross Medigap supplement includes it. I just went on the Silver Sneakers website and entered my Medigap info to get approved. My membership is covered 100%. (If AARP;s United Healthcare doesn't cover it, or doesn't cover it in full, that wouldn't surprise me.)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 137

One of our reasons for picking AARP is because of the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Where can I find information about the program and whether it is continuing ?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 137

I just signed up with AARP in April of 2018 and was told that Silver Sneakers was a part of the package that they offered me.  I was paying for a gym membership at the time and was delighted that Siver Sneakers was offered with my meidgap suppliment if I used AARP.  I request that they honor their propaganda and let us seniors have that access to a health club.  It was a deciding factor for me to go with AARP.   They do not seem to be on the ball with caring for seniors anymore.  Just another group in cahoots with the insurance industry. What a shame.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 137

I received my letter today from UHC which said I could give it to my fitness gym so I could start paying 50% of the monthly fee.  WHY is it going to cost money now?  Does everyone know that now?

WHAT?

I called UHC and told the representative that I was livid.  He told me there were many calls today from people like me.  He also said it was a corporate decision.

AARP?

I called AARP.  The representative had no knowledge of this.  She did tell me she was sorry.

I think AARP needs to stop endorsing UHC.  I think AARP wants its consituency to be healthy, and the way to do that is to KEEP MOVING.

WHO THEN?

I called my insurance person.  I am interested in another company who uses Silver Sneakers and allows no-cost gym use.  He has not responded yet.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 137

@PatriciaA710255 wrote:

AARP was supposed to be an advocate for the elderly. 

Where did you get that mission?  Their own website says "AARP’s mission is to empower people to choose how they live as they age."

AARP membership is open to people 50 and over.

Silver Sneakers (Tivity Health) is for those 65 and older -

AARP in joining with Tivity Health (parent company to the Silver Sneakers program) in the flip50 Program now has a fitness, wellness, rest, recovery and nutrition progrogram which I guess AARP believes  to be a better fit for all of their membership (50 and older)

Kudos
Views