Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: 5Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 1 of 76 (468 Views)

I have part C, the AARP Medicare Complete.... a medicare advantage plan.  The choices of AARP Medicare advantage plans in my area are zero premium, $26 a month premium, or $76 a month, all including drug coverage, and all replacing the SS with their optum fitness.  Again, without optum fitness Green Bay seniors would either have to pay their own Y fitness membership  (no matter if they have a different plan that included SS or not), or get it free with the AARP UHC optum. I am in Wisconsin.  Re the medigap plans...  Wisconsin is different... we do not have plans with letter names so I really have no clue about them.  I lived in Wi all my life so that is all I am familiar with, both with what my parents had (a medigap) and for myself.

Conversationalist

Message 2 of 76 (483 Views)

Inovative Health & Fitness is not an affiliate of the YMCA. They elected to withdraw from the SS program because too many SS participants in the Milwaukee area chose to use their club and SS was not paying them as much for these participants as their private members were paying. It was a business decision. In central Oklahoma, the regional YMCA, Planet Fitness and Gold's Gym among others currently participate in SS. Since UHC has elected to drop SS as a benefit of their medagap plans (except for Medicare Advantage, Part C), those of us purchasing UHC are receiving a hidden price increase of $120 to $600 depending on which of the athletic facilities you participate. Thats' ten to fifty dollars a month on top of the thirtyfive dollar a month increase in the plan F premium.

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 76 (500 Views)

It the supplement plans that are dropping the Silver Sneakers benefit. The Mdeicare Advantage HMO option still includes the benefit.  This is simpl6 a hidden price increase on the supplement plans. The Optum benefit will cover about half the fitness membership at participating centers. In reality, it pays the center nothing unless the member attends at least four times a month. Onl6 then do they the fitness center any money. 

Info Seeker

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 4 of 76 (543 Views)

My friend who lives in TX has UHC/AARP coverage and she was moved to Optum Fitness and doesn't like their fitness program.  There are no gyms or classes that are close to her.  I took her to the event at my Silver Sneakers class a couple of weeks ago and she loved it.  I told her I plan to switch plans to keep this benefit and now she is too.  I did look online about the program and have gone to the Silver Sneakers facebook page and several people on there are complaining and upset about the differences in the benefits. I guess it just depends on what you really want from the benefit.  I'lll stick with Silver Sneakers.      

Conversationalist

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 5 of 76 (559 Views)

My motto is "always verify ".  I want to see it in black and white if at all possible.  If an insurance agent tells me my dr is in there plan I want too SEE them listed.  If an agent tells me I can go anywhere that accepts Medicare I read the papers they leave... especially the fine print.  Caught one last year who said that, but in reading the fine print of the papers she left the policy said that if not "in network" it would not be covered except emergencies.   LOL

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 76 (566 Views)

I called and checked with my Y.  I was told they know all about the new fitness plan, and all the classes that are called SS in past will be just Senior classes and open to those in the new plan. Like I said... I never take what an insurance agent tells me...I research myself to verify it.  If I cannot verify it either online or by a phone call to the source, I take it as a selling tactic.  

The Y I use is calling in an independent insurance agency to station someone there to change the people over to the AARP plans with the new fitness coverage.  

Ps... some of the Y sites I found that dropped SS did so when people could not change plans.  

Look at this one.. dropped it in october of 2014.

http://myinnovativehealth.com/2017/04/03/silver-sneakers-innovative-health-fitness/

This one is one that confirms this is happening a lot.... not the insurance plans dropping, but the Y's doing it:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/11/silver-sneakers-program-discontinued-at-local-ymcas

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 76 (576 Views)

According to my agent the new fitness plan that UHC/AARP will offer will be one that is very different from Silver Sneakers.  No classes, no social events and I LOVE my instructors because they know me and it just won't be the same.  So I switched to a plan that I can keep my Silver Sneakers and go to a gym that is close to my home.  The other plan didn't have a gym in my area.  I'm glad I found out before it was too late.

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 76 (594 Views)

The other links I found are dated back from 2014 to now in various parts of the country.  That dates back BEFORE the AARP plans started removing SS.  The reasons the Y's gave (if they provided one) is over crowding. They were unable to handle the size of the people using their facility.  My guess is the Baby Boomers overwhelmed them.

Btw... in my area the AARP plans are not the only ones dropping SS.  The other plans are just plain dropping them and not replacing them with anything else. The AARP plans are the only ones taking SS out that replaced it with the same coverage under a different name.   It appears only 1 company in this area still has SS on them for 2018

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 76 (597 Views)

Some of the AARP policies in some areas took took out Silver Sneakers and replaced them with Optum Fitness Advantage.  If your policy removed Silver Sneakers check to see if it had Optum Fitness instead.  

Did you read through the link I provided?  The Y's are pulling out of Silver Sneakers.  Not all the Y's everywhere, but it is happening all over the country little by little.  As the YMCA page says in the link, they accept the AARP United Healthcare fitness instead of SS.

This link is talking about my area in Green Bay Wi.  When I saw posts in here not in my area who are complaining about Silver Sneakers being taken out of their AARP policies I did a little research on Y's pulling out of SS and found out it is happening in many places in the country.

You need to know that in Green Bay wI next year if my AARP policy had SS on it, I would not be able to use it in the local Y's.  The plans that still have SS in will find them useless next year in Green Bay Y's.  My insurance agent explained to me how my AARP medicare plan did not LOSE my fitness coverage by taking out SS;  it protected it.  I do not just take my agents word; I researched it, and found the link I shared with you, as well as similar webpages in different areas saying the same kind of thing. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 76 (635 Views)

karenp534752 wrote:

You need to check your policies.. I know some of them are replacing Silver Sneakers with a different plan...because of this kind of thing (and this is happening in various parts of the country).  Please note that, at least in Green Bay, WI having Silver Sneakers to use the Y next year is useless.  Please read this carefully all the way down to the faq regarding UHC's replacement for SS:

https://www.greenbayymca.org/programs/health-and-fitness/active-older-adults/silversneakers/

Check for what?  We know we have Silver Sneakers so it must be in the documentation somewhere.  It has already been established that UHC can cancel Silver Sneakers because they have already done it in several states. 

I assume because this is an AARP forum that when you say "some of them" you mean United Health Care the AARP insurer.  If not, who?

What different plan? 

This is an issue between UHC and the Y.  This is your locale Y probably not renewing it's contract with UHC.  I can go to the Y that's about 20 miles away but the one down the street doesn't have SS.  The Y's at least seem to have individual agreements.

The greenbayymca.org site sounds like so much marketing to me.  Either UHC is compensating your Y in order to soften the blow of cancellation ( this supposedly has already been done in other states with all of the gyms for at least a year) or the Y is trying to hold on to the members it has through UHC by discounting membership.  Don't count on getting that after a year.