What the Government Shutdown Means for You! Which Federal Government Services Will Be Affected? Read More

Conversationalist

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 1 of 90

Re Plan G vs F. Sorry, I did not see your question until just now. 

Plan G does not cover the part B deductible. Plan F does. 

Switching companies cut monthly premium by $60.00. Swithing from plan F to G  cut it an additional $50.00 per month. Total anual reduction = $1,320.00 if I add back in the part B $183.00 defuctible it is still going to be $1,137.00 less per year. 

Or if I just look at the plan G vs F premium difference worse case it is $600.00 less premium minus max deductible $183.00 = $417.00 savings

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 90

How come the front page of the AARP magazine did say, "The Silver Sneaker Program has been dropped by AARP." 

I did not receive a darn thing about the drop--I would have moved to another provider.

AARP does not represent me today or tomorrow.

Please stop sending any and all paper from AARP to me in the mail. Since I HAD to join AARP to use SS--I would like a refund. 

SHAME ON YOU!

Happy New Year

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 90

Because, unlike defeatists and absolutists, I will continue to speak out and attempt to reform the organization which purports to represent me. Compensation structure for the leaders at AARP is not closely linked to the service or satisfaction of its membership. They function largely in a vacume with little real competition for our eyes or the many millions of dollars that are paid by vendors who want those eyes to feather their own nests. Perhaps, rather than preemptively declaring defeat and resigning the field, you might use your considerable "bronze" platform to effect change - or perhaps you are among those seeking a quiet, contented group of cattle as followers.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 90
bk66969647
An you are still here then why?
Conversationalist

Message 5 of 90

Yes, and I made a business decision to drop United Healthcare (and the associated kickback to AARP). I gave these clowns $1836 in premiums and the value of the SS benefit was between $120 and $710 depending on which fitness facility I choose to use in my area. You clearly do not understand the economics of health care. Healthier seniors (those who exercise) cost less to insure. Lower costs should lead to either richer benefits or lower premiums. It works well in most ot Eruope and Canada. SS and United Healthcare paid FAR less than retail for this benefit but got greedy inspite of balooning dividends for investors and bigger pay checks for executives. I did not beat a dead horse, I voted with my wallet. Loosing my $1836 + 6% will not break the bank for either AARP or UHC, but I got the same value for less money with a broker.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 90

janeth87473

The hospital and wellness center are private companies that made a business decision to drop SS.  United Healthcare, another private company, along with others made the business decision to drop SS in some (maybe eventually all) states.  AARP is being paid by whatever insurance company has the best deal for the association and with only a handful of the many insurance companies with SS anyway, not much competition.  Medicare has nothing to do with this because SS is not a requirement in any of the gov. plans.

So, unless you want to write your congressman to ask that a fitness program be mandated in medicare (good luck with that), there's really not much to be done.

We are beating a dead horse.  Time to move on to something else more productive.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 90

#hopedalehospital #hopedalewellnesscenter in Hopedale Illinois will stop accepting #silversneakers. #unitedhealthcare will not do anything to prevent it.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 8 of 90

robertc193036

G plan is lower than F.  What did you have to give up?

2017-09-20-popular-key Scaled.png

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 90

I find it very upsetting that the Silver Sneakers program or multi state/ multi gym -pool programs are NOT offered by the AARP United Healthcare Medigap company.

I have no problems with Denise Austin doing AARP online recommendations etc but these are available easily online. What a waste.  

What I need and want is AARP supporting me in true exercise ---- I know others want this too.  I'm just turning 65 in January and am shocked that this is not available.

Exercise and diet are the most important components of health.  I am pushed more when I exercise in a group or in a gym. I also enjoy the company and motivation of fellow participants.  At  58 I cycled across America and at 60 I completed an Ironman Distance event (HITS) in Ocala.  I am very lucky as I continue to swim, ski, bike. My husband is 71 and I cannot keep up with him. We work hard to keep in this shape.  I believe there are more of us aging people that need more than arm push-ups while popping popcorn.  I realize that some day I will not be physically able to do as much as I do now but if I don't have gym/pool access now to keep up my core strength etc this will change sooner than later and will cost insurance more.  

How do we get this changed?

Are there others who feel the same way?

We need great facilities--- not moldy, overcrowded facilities.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 90
And so is Aetna.