Confused about which vaccines you need? Check out this list of every shot you should get after 50.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 1 of 98

thank you

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 98
Nice input, Epster! That link will probably help many who are new and just beginning to get acquainted with gym activity/ettiquette. It's also a quick and easy read. Very considerate of you . Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 98

@lizlizzie2wrote:

I think my point in the end is that for those of you with gym experience and starting from a healthy position, you probably know what to do. For people like me, no experience and dealing with a very limiting disability, I wish there was a guide providing of all these things. I need a similar brochure for the gym. 

Here ya go: http://healthandstyle.com/fitness/gym-guide-for-beginners/

Best regards,

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 98

kk6758 - I agree. I wish I had that assistance.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 98

My disability is the result of bilateral neuropathy. I am limted as to what I can do with my hands, arms, and wrists. I never was an 'exercise" person, but after 3 plus years of post surgical recovery and pain, I have lost the muscle tone I had. I don't know how to exercise, nor how to do so without injuring myself and causing damage to my hands, arms, and wrists. Physcial therapy when it was prescribed, didn't address this at all. 

After my waiting period, I have  been on Medicare since May 2017. I was told by the insurance people that I would be getting a Silver Sneakers card. It has never arrived. I have called them to follow up several times with no luck. They suggested that even without it the local gyms in our small town would honor it with my Medicare card. 

Adding to the above, I am 58, shy, been sitting at home alone with little to do and little interaction, so I am embarassed because I don't now how to dress, act, behave in a gym. No one teaches us these things in life. Trying to explain to people my situaiton when from an outside perspective I look fine, is very difficult. Additionally,  I was assaulted in November outside my home, which made me even more aware of how much strength I have lost throughout my body.

My 2nd problem is even if I made it to the gym and got past the questions (what do I wear, do I take a shower there, how do I obtain a locker, do I need my own lock, is it permanenty assigned or just using whatever is available the day I do in, what is appropriate for the pool, do I take a shower before using the hot tub or steam room? Do I bring my own towels? and more questions than I can remember at the moment )- --- is there someone qualified to show me how to use the machines and to tell me what I should or shouldn't do when suffering from bilateral neuropathy and limited to 2 lbs lift, push, or pull?

I get frustrated trying to get insurance companies to do their thing. Healthnet was taken over by Allwell who changed our ID numbers. I had eye surgery scheduled since December for last week and just got my Medicare card with the new number information (it took 3 calls a week for 5 weeks, each week being told it was in the mail). I will have to call my insurance agent again for them to call Allwell, and hope that I get a card before the program is cancelled. 

My understanding is I have the choice of several gyms. Having no experience in this, I don't even know what to look for or what questions to ask past the ones above on general gym behaviour. Because of the condition and severe insomnia, committed dates and times are real difficult for me. So I am probably better off initially figuring out a routine using equipment, with the hope I become comfortable and strong enough that i feel I can join a senior class. 

Some of you may say, google for information. But, that is another issue. Using a computer is very limited. 20 minutes, 3x a day. Hard enough just to pay the bills, read emails, check fb for pics of my granddaughter and at least attempt to let friends out of state know I am ok. Computer, phone, tablet, all of it is the same thing. To use one sufficiently just to take care of the necessities takes up my allotment and doing more means additional pain. Until this happened, I never knew a gallon of milk weighed over 8 lbs. or how difficult it can be to open a door. I had to have my door knobs replaced with handles because one week I could not turn the door knobs for 3 days. 

I think my point in the end is that for those of you with gym experience and starting from a healthy position, you probably know what to do. For people like me, no experience and dealing with a very limiting disability, I wish there was a guide providing of all these things. They do all those how to pick your doctor, what to expect from your doctor's office, how to talk with you doctor - I need a similar brochure for the gym. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 98
j383602c

I'm with you 100%!!! I, too, have always been active. But, although I faithfully hit the treadmill and do a weight routine three days a week - on top of all my other non-stop landscape/yard maintenance, I still require assistance for core strength that cannot be accomplished at home. I feel safer in a monitored setting with professionals present, and am more motivated by the social interaction that exists in such settings. It IS work! But, I rationalize that my payoff is the physiologic health I'm able to sustain. Having just turned 65, I am well aware that unless I make an effort to use it, I'll lose it (muscle mass, that is). You're so right...exercise and a nutritional diet are the cornerstones of good health. And, that's exactly what provides the cost-savings for the insurers. The reason they've started pulling these programs away is because, statistically, the only members who seem to take advantage of them are those who are already relatively healthy and fit (predominantly). Thus, it is not so much of a cost savings in the long run. Instead of penalizing and jeopardizing healthy members, I feel more needs to be done to get those marginal members and others who truly need supervised assistance into the gyms/pools on a regular basis so benefits can be realized by all stakeholders.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 98

j383602c (11-15-2017)         Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

I'm with you 100%!!!  I, too, have always been active.   But, although I faithfully hit the treadmill and do a weight routine three days a week - on top of all my other non-stop landscape/yard maintenance, I still require assistance for core strength that cannot be accomplished at home.  I feel safer in a monitored setting with professionals present, and am more motivated by the social interaction that exists in such settings. It IS work!  But, I rationalize that my payoff is the physiologic health I'm able to sustain.  Having just turned 65, I am well aware that unless I make an effort to use it, I'll lose it (muscle mass, that is).  You're so right...exercise and a nutritional diet are the cornerstones of good health.  And, that's exactly what provides the cost-savings for the insurers.  The reason they've started pulling these programs away is because, statistically, the only members who seem to take advantage of them are those who are already relatively healthy and fit (predominantly). Thus, it is not so much of a cost savings in the long run.  Instead of penalizing and jeopardizing healthy members, I feel more needs to be done to get those marginal members and others who truly need supervised assistance into the gyms/pools on a regular basis so benefits can be realized by all stakeholders.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 98

I also feel we have been cheated that Silver Sneaker has been taken from us Seniors. We pay higher premiums than any of my family and friends only to get less not more for Seniors. Please bring back  the Silver Sneaker Program!!!!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 98

Re Plan G vs F. Sorry, I did not see your question until just now. 

Plan G does not cover the part B deductible. Plan F does. 

Switching companies cut monthly premium by $60.00. Swithing from plan F to G  cut it an additional $50.00 per month. Total anual reduction = $1,320.00 if I add back in the part B $183.00 defuctible it is still going to be $1,137.00 less per year. 

Or if I just look at the plan G vs F premium difference worse case it is $600.00 less premium minus max deductible $183.00 = $417.00 savings

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 98

How come the front page of the AARP magazine did say, "The Silver Sneaker Program has been dropped by AARP." 

I did not receive a darn thing about the drop--I would have moved to another provider.

AARP does not represent me today or tomorrow.

Please stop sending any and all paper from AARP to me in the mail. Since I HAD to join AARP to use SS--I would like a refund. 

SHAME ON YOU!

Happy New Year

Kudos
Views