Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

[ Edited ]
Message 41 of 67 (6,207 Views)

Silver Sneakers is being removed from AARP Medicare plans, at least in Michigan, as of January 1 2017.  What a shame.  They're replacing it with a 50% discount at some fitness centers.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 67 (9,392 Views)

You can go to any gym or fitness facility that participates in Silver Sneakers give them your name, address (you don’t need to even tell them who your insurance is) and they can tell you using the Silver Sneakers database if you have that benefit.

My AARP/United Healthcare supplement plan includes Silver Sneakers.

Info Seeker

Message 43 of 67 (9,376 Views)

Ibelong to a gym " Planet Fitness" in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 67 (9,309 Views)

i belong to a gym Planet Fitness in milwaukee wisconsin.  and my friend got silver sneakers throuh his insuransance, humana.  I would like to know if AARP has silver sneakers for my gym.   If i get silver sneakers then i can participate with more in my gym.

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 67 (9,477 Views)
I belong to Silver Sneakers through my Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance through my employer; I am now retired. I have a friend who has her's through AARP, and is happy with it. Your problem seems to be local choices. There are many choices if you are willing to go out of your locale. I have 3 choices in my town of Round Rock, TX including Fitness 19 (where I go), Gold's Gym, and a 24-hour gym whose name I can't remember. AARP or United Health needs to vet these gyms because they are paying for your use of the facility. I wouldn't go where you described either. Hope you find a solution.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 46 of 67 (9,662 Views)
AARP does not provide Silver Sneakers, United Healthcare does. Confusing, I know but you need to talk to them.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 47 of 67 (8,912 Views)

lynneleahy wrote:

I live in Oregon and AARP canceled my Silver Sneakers when I moved here. I don't get it as I have paid my AARP membership since 2008. Why cancel Silver Sneakers?? Can someone from AARP  answer this?

Lance

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 67 (8,806 Views)

I live in Oregon and AARP canceled my Silver Sneakers when I moved here. I don't get it as I have paid my AARP membership since 2008. Why cancel Silver Sneakers?? Can someone from AARP  answer this?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 67 (8,624 Views)
I have New West Medicare Basic Plan. With the plan I get membership to a gym under their "Silver&Fit health club membership". Last year it was included in the plan at no cost.... the plan ..."New West" cost me $25 a month...in 2016 there is a annual fee of $50 for the Silver&Fit membership. The cost of the New West plan is going up to $36.50 a month .... a great deal for me as it has great coverage that Medicare does not cover....not a good deal for taxpayers.

Of course I will also pay &110.50 a month for Medicare.

Silver Sneakers ... sounds a lot like my Silver&Fit.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 67 (8,003 Views)
noniet01, I live in So Oregon and pay for the highest Regence Medadvantage Part C & D. They offer Silver Sneakers and only covers, "Curves" & has no pool, around 600 sf & no one to help with equipment. With Chondo Chondritis my Dr has prescribed me to swim, for low impact Stretching. Silver Sneakers doesn't even cover YMCA with this expensive MEDICARE Advantage PPO $246.00 out of pocket per month. I need Club Northwest Gym that's clean and huge with a saltwater long length pool, perfect for my illnesses, Agoraphobic (not a lot of people around) & my Chondritis, Diabetes Neuropathy, Back pain, Chronic Pain.The best insurances stink when it comes to us needing excersize. Curves is just equipment that Seniors don't get help how to use in Rogue River, OR 97537. Curves is to tone & build muscle not help with I'll Disabled and/or Seniors. Insurance should at least pay up to 75% for a Drs Script on what kind of excersize we need and the club that has it within 20 miles round trip. I'm just so furious, they will end up paying more in health problems, Surgeries, etc. STUPID & IGNORANCE in MEDICARE Insurances!