Make Your Weekends Even Longer. Add an Extra Day With Easy and Affordable Ideas From AARP Travel. Let's Go

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 41 of 91

tackless1 wrote:

Odd that Silver Sneakers does not appear to have a list of insurance companies that have this benefit.  The only thing I can find on their web site is the ability to check whether or not my current company provides membership.  I'd like to know before I pick my next insurance company.  Did I miss something?

Like the other poster today said, you have to check with the insurers and personally,nInwould get it in writing.

However, then you have to check every year for continued coverage because it is a special benefit and is not required by Medicare to be a benefit.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 42 of 91

Contact an insurance agent and they can tell you which plans have the benefit.

Conversationalist

Message 43 of 91

The economic value of of SS is somewhere between $150 and $700 per year depending on which which athletic facility you choose. This value is not simply a "perk", it is part of the value equation which UHC has chosen to abandon. Perhaps AARP members should choose to abandon UHC and question why AARP has elected to continue to promote UHC when they have so profoundly snubbed our membership.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 44 of 91

Odd that Silver Sneakers does not appear to have a list of insurance companies that have this benefit.  The only thing I can find on their web site is the ability to check whether or not my current company provides membership.  I'd like to know before I pick my next insurance company.  Did I miss something?

Conversationalist

Message 45 of 91

Of course United Health Care does not have to continue the Silver Sneakers benefit. But, I see Humana is still including it at least in some of their plans. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 46 of 91

The simple answer:
Silver Sneakers is a perk from United Health Care probably from way back as a sales tool. Just as your coverage has nothing to due with AARP, neither does SS. It is in the fine print somewhere that they don't have to continue providing these added benefits.  There is really nothing that we can do as it appears that UHC is stopping SS on all their plans not just our J plan.  What do we do, threaten to cancel a plan that they undoubtedly want to get read of anyway.  Time to move on.

Conversationalist

Message 47 of 91

RE: AARP dropping Silver ZZSneakers 1/1/18:

Yes, and when I called about it the rep gave me false information.

She claimed Silver Sneakers is no longer offered in Texas as if it is dropped on the Silver Sneakers end. It is actually AARP / UHC cutting benefits.

I am very disappointed and looking at other options.

Conversationalist

Message 48 of 91

Not after 1/1/2018. UHC dropped them nation wide.

Conversationalist

Message 49 of 91

Try contacting SS:

GENERAL SILVERSNEAKERS PHONE NUMBER

If you are a member or want to see if you are eligible:
Call toll-free: 866-584-7389, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. EST. TTY: 711
E-mail: support@silversneakers.com

Conversationalist

Message 50 of 91

Silver Sneakers is a third party program that UHC added to their products at "no extra cost." It is unralated to the standardized package for Medicare benefits under any of the options, A through J.

UHC has decided to drop Silver Sneakers because it costs them money each time on of us uses it and we subscribers to their plan used this benefit more than they anticipated. You will recieve a letter advising that it is "being replaced by a variety of new services" which is marketing speak for you will get many fewer options and benefits for a much higher total price!