Confused about which vaccines you need? Check out this list of every shot you should get after 50.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 11 of 98

Because, unlike defeatists and absolutists, I will continue to speak out and attempt to reform the organization which purports to represent me. Compensation structure for the leaders at AARP is not closely linked to the service or satisfaction of its membership. They function largely in a vacume with little real competition for our eyes or the many millions of dollars that are paid by vendors who want those eyes to feather their own nests. Perhaps, rather than preemptively declaring defeat and resigning the field, you might use your considerable "bronze" platform to effect change - or perhaps you are among those seeking a quiet, contented group of cattle as followers.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 98
bk66969647
An you are still here then why?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 98

Yes, and I made a business decision to drop United Healthcare (and the associated kickback to AARP). I gave these clowns $1836 in premiums and the value of the SS benefit was between $120 and $710 depending on which fitness facility I choose to use in my area. You clearly do not understand the economics of health care. Healthier seniors (those who exercise) cost less to insure. Lower costs should lead to either richer benefits or lower premiums. It works well in most ot Eruope and Canada. SS and United Healthcare paid FAR less than retail for this benefit but got greedy inspite of balooning dividends for investors and bigger pay checks for executives. I did not beat a dead horse, I voted with my wallet. Loosing my $1836 + 6% will not break the bank for either AARP or UHC, but I got the same value for less money with a broker.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 98

janeth87473

The hospital and wellness center are private companies that made a business decision to drop SS.  United Healthcare, another private company, along with others made the business decision to drop SS in some (maybe eventually all) states.  AARP is being paid by whatever insurance company has the best deal for the association and with only a handful of the many insurance companies with SS anyway, not much competition.  Medicare has nothing to do with this because SS is not a requirement in any of the gov. plans.

So, unless you want to write your congressman to ask that a fitness program be mandated in medicare (good luck with that), there's really not much to be done.

We are beating a dead horse.  Time to move on to something else more productive.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 98

#hopedalehospital #hopedalewellnesscenter in Hopedale Illinois will stop accepting #silversneakers. #unitedhealthcare will not do anything to prevent it.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 98

robertc193036

G plan is lower than F.  What did you have to give up?

2017-09-20-popular-key Scaled.png

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 98

I find it very upsetting that the Silver Sneakers program or multi state/ multi gym -pool programs are NOT offered by the AARP United Healthcare Medigap company.

I have no problems with Denise Austin doing AARP online recommendations etc but these are available easily online. What a waste.  

What I need and want is AARP supporting me in true exercise ---- I know others want this too.  I'm just turning 65 in January and am shocked that this is not available.

Exercise and diet are the most important components of health.  I am pushed more when I exercise in a group or in a gym. I also enjoy the company and motivation of fellow participants.  At  58 I cycled across America and at 60 I completed an Ironman Distance event (HITS) in Ocala.  I am very lucky as I continue to swim, ski, bike. My husband is 71 and I cannot keep up with him. We work hard to keep in this shape.  I believe there are more of us aging people that need more than arm push-ups while popping popcorn.  I realize that some day I will not be physically able to do as much as I do now but if I don't have gym/pool access now to keep up my core strength etc this will change sooner than later and will cost insurance more.  

How do we get this changed?

Are there others who feel the same way?

We need great facilities--- not moldy, overcrowded facilities.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 98
And so is Aetna.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 98

And so is Aetna.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 98

Switched my wife to the Mutual of Omaha supplement plan. It does not include siver sneakers either, but saved her enough money to get three gym memberships. 

Switching might not be an option if you have pre-existing conditions. I switcher from plan F to plan G. Worse case, she will save a thousand dollars per year. 

Kudos
Views