From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 51 of 169

From the Optum website:

"Optum Fitness Advantage is part of your UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage plan"

Not F or G plans.

There is no offering for plans other than Advantage.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 169

I got the letter here in Indiana yesterday, and I'm not happy. The Silver Sneakers benefit is what compelled me to move from the small fitness center I was attending (which had become too pricey for someone not working full-time) to the Y, which honored Silver Sneakers and allowed me to join for nothing, with no monthly fee. That was a no-brainer--even if I didn't attend classes or use the machines I could use the track and attend the paid Reformer class, which is less expensive for members. I've been doing all of the above since joining in May. And now United is pulling the rug out?! Shame on them. Shame on AARP for not advocating for its members with a company they endorse. And shame on me for not taking my husband's advice and signing with a cheaper insurance company--I thought AARP's endorsement of UHC meant something. Maybe the money I pay to belong to AARP will have to go toward paying for a new gym membership and switching to another insurance company.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 169

Not if you have UHC thru AARP.  Silver Sneakers has been dropped from this supplemental plan.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 169

I have medicare because of being on disability. It was healthnet and they changed to Allwell. I have been told for the past 2.5 years that silver sneakers is a benefit with medicare and that I would receive a card. Still have yet to receive any information on the program from healthnet, allwell or medicare. My agent said the local gyms knows about it and if I just go with my medicare card they will honor it.

The cancellation/reduced benefit that is being talked about appears to be related to UHC or other specific insurance companies. Does anyone know if medicare/disability is also cancelling this program?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 169

UHC has a new plan for gym membership. Optum Fitness. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 169

@BeckyLHunt wrote: 

WHO THEN?

UHC.  This is a benefit offered by the insurance company (outside of the insurance contract).  They control it entirely.  According to other posts they are not the only company that has done this.

AARP?

I called AARP.  The representative had no knowledge of this.

Obviously not them.

Ron

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 169

Hey AARP.  Thanks for letting United Healthcare discontinue Silver Sneakers in Arizona.  It's the one benefit that my wife and I got via AARP by choosing the AARP/United Healthcare supplement coverage over other options.  Looks like you forgot to stand up for us with your United Healthcare endorsement.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 169
Check the Silver Sneakers website. I thought eligibility for this program was based more on your health insurance than on AARP membership, at least that's how I joined. My Blue Cross Medigap supplement includes it. I just went on the Silver Sneakers website and entered my Medigap info to get approved. My membership is covered 100%. (If AARP;s United Healthcare doesn't cover it, or doesn't cover it in full, that wouldn't surprise me.)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 169

One of our reasons for picking AARP is because of the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Where can I find information about the program and whether it is continuing ?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 169

I just signed up with AARP in April of 2018 and was told that Silver Sneakers was a part of the package that they offered me.  I was paying for a gym membership at the time and was delighted that Siver Sneakers was offered with my meidgap suppliment if I used AARP.  I request that they honor their propaganda and let us seniors have that access to a health club.  It was a deciding factor for me to go with AARP.   They do not seem to be on the ball with caring for seniors anymore.  Just another group in cahoots with the insurance industry. What a shame.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season