Open enrollment for the ACA health insurance marketplace ends Saturday! There's still time to sign up or change your plan.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers One size does not Fit All

Message 31 of 144

@BeckyLHunt wrote: 

WHO THEN?

UHC.  This is a benefit offered by the insurance company (outside of the insurance contract).  They control it entirely.  According to other posts they are not the only company that has done this.

AARP?

I called AARP.  The representative had no knowledge of this.

Obviously not them.

Ron

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 144

Hey AARP.  Thanks for letting United Healthcare discontinue Silver Sneakers in Arizona.  It's the one benefit that my wife and I got via AARP by choosing the AARP/United Healthcare supplement coverage over other options.  Looks like you forgot to stand up for us with your United Healthcare endorsement.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 144
Check the Silver Sneakers website. I thought eligibility for this program was based more on your health insurance than on AARP membership, at least that's how I joined. My Blue Cross Medigap supplement includes it. I just went on the Silver Sneakers website and entered my Medigap info to get approved. My membership is covered 100%. (If AARP;s United Healthcare doesn't cover it, or doesn't cover it in full, that wouldn't surprise me.)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 144

One of our reasons for picking AARP is because of the Silver Sneakers benefit.  Where can I find information about the program and whether it is continuing ?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 144

I just signed up with AARP in April of 2018 and was told that Silver Sneakers was a part of the package that they offered me.  I was paying for a gym membership at the time and was delighted that Siver Sneakers was offered with my meidgap suppliment if I used AARP.  I request that they honor their propaganda and let us seniors have that access to a health club.  It was a deciding factor for me to go with AARP.   They do not seem to be on the ball with caring for seniors anymore.  Just another group in cahoots with the insurance industry. What a shame.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 144

I received my letter today from UHC which said I could give it to my fitness gym so I could start paying 50% of the monthly fee.  WHY is it going to cost money now?  Does everyone know that now?

WHAT?

I called UHC and told the representative that I was livid.  He told me there were many calls today from people like me.  He also said it was a corporate decision.

AARP?

I called AARP.  The representative had no knowledge of this.  She did tell me she was sorry.

I think AARP needs to stop endorsing UHC.  I think AARP wants its consituency to be healthy, and the way to do that is to KEEP MOVING.

WHO THEN?

I called my insurance person.  I am interested in another company who uses Silver Sneakers and allows no-cost gym use.  He has not responded yet.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 144

@PatriciaA710255 wrote:

AARP was supposed to be an advocate for the elderly. 

Where did you get that mission?  Their own website says "AARP’s mission is to empower people to choose how they live as they age."

AARP membership is open to people 50 and over.

Silver Sneakers (Tivity Health) is for those 65 and older -

AARP in joining with Tivity Health (parent company to the Silver Sneakers program) in the flip50 Program now has a fitness, wellness, rest, recovery and nutrition progrogram which I guess AARP believes  to be a better fit for all of their membership (50 and older)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 144

AARP was supposed to be an advocate for the elderly.  HA HA United Healthcare has them under their thumb.  Rate increase and loss of benefits. AARP does not need to send me any more petitions to sign nor request another donation.  My donations will now be used to purchase an expensive program at my local pool to allow me to keep working to stay healthy.  More than 35 people attend classes at our pool 3 days a week for one hour.  There are other  Silver Sneakers classes at our pool that are also well attended.  AARP you have lost your reputation.  You have the clout to renew this program.  It's time for you to take action.  Prove your worth.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 144

In the litigious society we live in, I can't imagine this would have escaped the lawyers.  I have been in this program for 9 years and don't remember any legal action reported.  Of course I am in Virginia and we still have Silver Sneakers so I could have missed it.

Again, I think it comes down to contract law which in my experience can be pretty rigid.

Ron

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 144

@CRTSR wrote:

@jh5231035 wrote:

"Somehow, Silver Sneaker programs are state by state."

Thats because insurance is regulated by each state so an insurance company could have a different policy contract state by state.

Notice the word in red, this is key I believe.  Silver Sneakers is not in the insurance contract.  It is an extra feature that is provided for by the insurance company and can be withdraw at any time.  This was in the information we got when we signed up for the insurance, albeit in small print no doubt.  I'm not a lawyer but I believe it is generally true that if it ain't in the contract, it ain't enforceable.Smiley Sad

I wonder if that has ever been legally tested on this type of extra benefit in a Medicare plan?

I can understand how they can add or drop benefits like this, meaning an extra benefit outside of the Medicare stipulated coverage, in Medicare Advantage plans because you have to annually re-up each year with the same company or choose a different Medicare Advantage plan.

But this is not usually the case in (traditional) Medicare with a Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plan and this extra benefit was/is included as an incentive when a beneficiary 1st signs up.  Under the Medicare rules for a Medicare supplemental plan (Medigap), the only way they can drop a beneficiary is because they failed to pay their premiums.  You cannot easily switch, if at all,  a Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plan after the initial guaranteed issue.  Some people stay with the same Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plan and issurer for their whole time in Medicare. 

To me, this should assume that the plan (Supplemental/Medigap), including any extra benefit(s) offered is all inclusive and final.  Again IMO, but by including it ( this extra benefit) in the purchased package of a Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plan, it seem to infer that it should be there for the long haul.

Kudos
Views