Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

PENPALS

Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals.

thank-you-glitters-34.gif

Super Contributor

My name is David and Married.

Looking for a pen pal since we are spending
so much time close to home.
Also libraries which are starting to open up

A strange moment in American History.

What will be the new normal??

Me, I am staying close to home,
and looking for some new friends.

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to
[personal email address removed from public view - please use the Private Messaging provided on the community]

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello My name is Alice. I live in Cleveland. I am 56 years old. I like reading,Listening to music,Watching tv,Going dancing. Just to name a few of my hobbies. I work as a Nursing Assistant in Homecare.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Good afternoon, 

I would love to be pen pals! 

I am looking for pen pals. One that doesn't mind email. I was thinking of making it a weekly, biweekly, or monthly correspondence depending on their schedules. During these times, I feel that it is a good time to reach out to people and make friends. A little about me, I am recently married and almost 31 years old. We have two cats and a dog. I have been called an "old soul" my entire life which may be why I studied history and library science in college. I love history, listening and telling stories. I am really into puzzles, reading, gardening, baking, and crafts. I am currently learning cross stitch and crochet. 

Thank you! I look forward to hearing you all! Have a happy holidays:) 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hey Alice,

I am looking for Pen-Pals and as you like to read and I like to write maybe we can exchange many thoughts, while discussing several ideas?

I am a writer at heart, 40+ years of business correspondence, writing documents, specifications and procedures, even tried producing short stories so greatly enjoy exchanging messages.

A quick bio: 60, widower with 2-adult children living in central North Carolina. I am disabled so have a lot of time, my head still works, full of knowledge from computers to energy management and renewable resources. Just waiting to build my cyborg so I can transfer my brain into a new super body.

Hope you, your family and all your friends are happy and healthy during these hard times.
Best wishes and good luck,

Joseph....
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hi Joseph, Like you I also looking for a pen pal.
I am married and have 3 married sons, so 3 daughters (by marriage.)

Like you, I have lots of time to spend emailing.
My son is a published writer and is now working with Ken Burns.

Please contact me at
[personal email address removed from public view - please use the Private Messaging provided on the community]
Having a hard time with this site.

Stay well, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello David,   Today is Oct. 24, and since your post was almost 4 months ago, you probably have enough pen-pals by now.  But, I figure I'd "try" anyway. I was quite impressed when I read that your son is working with Ken Burns !  I really admire this film-makers work !  Well, since I don't know if you'll see this and/or reply, I'll just state that I'm a "transplanted Yankee" from CT, now living  in a  small town in southern GA. I'm a big animal lover, and reading and cooking are my passions.         Best  Wishes,    Vicki

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks for your service as a Nursing Assistant

I follow the Steelers and will talk about anything

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Alice,

I got your message via the AARP pen pals website and tried to reply with a private message to you, but it was not enabled, so I am posting this instead.  You sound like an interesting person so I am responding to your recent post which I saw just a few minutes ago.  I am an early retired professional, divorced male, age 67, living in an upscale suburb of Memphis TN.  I am not seeking a "date" or anything like that, just friendship and exchange of ideas. I am educated and articulate.  I have read a lot and still enjoy reading.  I also have a German shepherd named Gracie and through her, I have really come to love dogs.  Also, as you can probably imagine, she makes for a great security system.  You can try being my new pen pal by *personal information removed* Please let me hear from you!  Thanks.  - Alan 

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I will talk about anything

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lynne/Community Manager:

Thank you so much for your help.  I hope it works (as you probably suspect, I'll let you know early on if it doesn't!0.  I swear, however, that I did not do anything to cause it.  I did not know the first thing about it.

AlanG

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to

Thanks, David

David Eig
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lynne/Community Manager: 

FYI -- I just got a copy of Sharon's post just below to Roger posted to my private email, if that sheds any light on your website problem.  Please try to fix this!

AlanG

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Hi, @AlanG700989. I understand what's happening--you are subscribed to receive email notifications to all posts in this topic. I'm subscribed to this discussion and the subject line is "Re: PENPALS (AARP Online Community Subscription Update)" (you would see the same in your inbox). A couple weeks back, I posted instructions for you on how to manage the subscription. However, I'm happy to take care of that for you. For future reference, this is how you would view and manage your subscriptions:

1. Go to My Settings > Subscriptions & Notifications.
  2. Click My Subscriptions to see a list of the items you've subscribed to.
    You can click a subscription to go to the item.
  3. To delete a subscription, click the check box for the subscription and click Email Subscription Options > Delete Selected Subscriptions.
0 Kudos

Good morning, @AlanG700989 @BevC921141 @RogerR775369 and to all the penpal enthusiasts joining in this discussion!

You may not realize, "PENPALS" was started by @SIMPLEGAL a few years back (in Feb. 2016 to be exact). It all started with this post by SIMPLEGAL, "Please post a reply if you would like to be penpals." This is a public forum and can be a way to meet new friends and have online penpals. A bit of housekeeping: To protect your privacy, please do not post publicly your email address.

I've read posts saying that the site is confusing. One thing that I find to be very helpful is to "tag" the person(s) you are addressing (just as I have in the start of this message). This helps everyone know who you are answering.

• Tagging is easy! Simply type the "@" symbol on your keyboard. This will bring up a menu of usernames. Click the on name to tag the person you wish to address. When notifications are enabled, the person will receive an email letting them know they've been mentioned in the discussion.

We're glad to have all of your participation in the AARP Online Community. Please let me know if this was helpful information to you. Have a great day!

Periodic Contributor

This is the most messed up, user-unfriendly site I could ever have imagined. I wish that wasn't the case. I was hoping to be/ find a penpal. 

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Justin
I sent you a note via email.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Be careful, Stay safe.
Please answer to

Thanks, David

David Eig
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree.  having trouble myself.  i am 73 not a whiz at this but just looking to find friends and penpals.  Am in south TN retired, wheelchair bound in assisted living but still active as possible. if you would like to correspond i would be happy to reply.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker +

Why does David and Married have so many repeat posts?  One is enough since it is taking up a lot of room.  Is there an admin around here?  Very unorganized.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Roger--

Many problems have arisen on the penpal site.  Hope this quarantine is too depressing for you! It sure has thrown me for a loop. Not enjoying it at all. I am a retired teacher living in S.CA.  It's a stuggle to keep busy since most of our usual activites have been cut off. So what are you doing with time?  How are you staying busy?.  Not much of a TV person.  I am a writer though, and my co-writer and I are working on a script about the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, NV.  We took a trip there in January and heard an assortment of cowboy poets (men and women).  Some of their work was astonishly good and the cowboys shuttle you around from location to location to attend the readings.Even the weather was friendly for that time of year.  So fill me in on your life. Until then-- stay safe-- Sharon

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi Sharon - Just ran across this site again - I joined 2 yrs. ago but had trouble using it so gave up.  Noticed that we have some things in common - retired teacher, So. Cal., interested in script-writing.  If you wanna "write" back, please do so.  Claire

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lynne/Community Manager:

Well, I haven't had any strange notices hit my private email from the AARP pen pals website in recent days.  None whatsoever.  I have also noticed that, while people continue to look at the site, nobody seems to be posting.  The last post that I can see seems to have come from Roger, if I am not mistaken.  This all leads me to conclude that the strange messages that I was receiveing (and others were too) were somehow related to new postings.

AlanG

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lynne Community Manager:

I have communicated with a couple of other people who have used the AARP pen pals website and they are also getting strange messages, just like me.

Alan G

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

probably a teenage hacker with nothing to do but irratitate people. happens all the time.  some juvemile trying to be cute

0 Kudos

Hi @AlanG700989, for my own clarification, are you getting strange Private Messages ("PM") on the site? If so, there is a mechanism for reporting SPAM. At the bottom of each PM, you may click "Report". This takes you to a screen to "Notify Moderator of Inappropriate Content". Please let me know if this helps you. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello Lynne/Community Manager:

I have been receiving these strange email messages directly to my personnal email, not to the AARP website.  Does that help you to know that?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Community Manager/Websitemaster:

I just got two more strange messegages via your site -- again it seems that I am getting messages from people in response to emails that I never sent.

Alan Gray

0 Kudos

Hi @AlanG700989, I'd like to help you with this. Would you please forward a copy to Community@aarp.org so we can review the strange messages you're receiving? Thank you.

@AlanG700989 wrote:

Community Manager/Websitemaster:

I just got two more strange messegages via your site -- again it seems that I am getting messages from people in response to emails that I never sent.

Alan Gray

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Lynne/Community Manager:

Thank you for your offer of help.  Unfortunately, I do not know how to make a copy of the strange messages that I have been receiving and to send them to you.  Sorry.  I am an old guy and just not very tech savy!

Alan G

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dont understand how to get messages...can you explain? Thanks Lenaj30

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP