If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: PENPALS

Message 1 of 247

Hi Nancy,

Wow it sounds like your daughter , at her young age, has had many good adventures.  Probably has many great  and not so great tales to tell. Do you have any souveniers from her trips? Glad it all turned out well though. "Bully for her"  lol.

Easter Sunday I will be going out to dinner with my two children and their mates.  I have to discuss birthday presents with my daughter and her hubby.  Hers is May 3rd and his is May 13th.  I never know what to get and try to find hints as to what is really needed, if any thing. Since they just moved from their house to a new one I figured they might want or need something new for it. You know, when you get to a certain age, you have most things and have no need for more.  Only if things wear out or break, then that is different.  I don't like to give just cash because that is too impersonal, like no thought went behind the gift. 

I hope you have a nice Easter day. 

take care,

Marianne.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 247

MarianneS959437,

I only write on this pen pal board. However, a daughter of an AARPer did reach out to me. She is 21, from Africa and currently in her last year of college. This is pretty cool. I don't even have a Facebook page. I understand your son's concerns, I get the same thing from my daughter. Yet, Ashley will travel the world. She has been to Rwanda, Sweden, Trinidad, Tobago, New Orleans, Amsterdam, Brussels.etc. Ashley used to go on camping trips with various groups of people. I think it's sweet that our children are concerned about us. I am sure, like me, you have been worried about your children.

I am watching the News, I am sadned by the fire of the cathedral of Notre Dame. Oh the history that was destroyed. The beautiful architecture. Did you see the news. Hope to hear from you soon and that you are doing well.  Nancy

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 247

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your kind words.  Yes, I will think of my friend especially when I listen to the music he had sent to me.  I think he had a good life. He was a Marine in his younger days.  When that career was over he joined the NY State Troopers.  I do believe he retired from there.  Loved his motorcycle too.  Believe it or not I met him in a Pen Pal site way back when.  See.. nice things can happen on those sites.  But.. you have to watch out.  Choose wisely. My son is always on my case.  Giving me warnings.  I listen to him too.  Alert.. lol. 

Another friend that I had met on the old AOL Pen Pal site 13 years ago is now my real friend.  Turned out he lived not to far from me. After talking (or writing) for 6 months we started talking on the phone.  Then one day we met up in a Dunkin Donut coffee shop.  We liked each other's company.  Now and then he takes me to Dr. appts, shopping, dinners.  He, at times, goes to my son's BBQs.  Turned out to be a good friend.  See, ya never know!!  lol

Take care, 

Marianne

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 247

Hi Agnes,

I think you have me mixed up with someone else Cat Very Happy  I never lived in Sea Girt. I am from NY.

Thanks for your concern though, about me losing a close email buddy.  I am sure he is a better place now.  I will not forget him.  I will replay some of the honky tonk songs he had sent me and think of him.

Wow, so sorry about your accident.  That was some scary time you had there.  I can't imagine what was going thru your mind at that moment.  Car can always be replaced, but you can't.  I guess you're sore now,which is understandable.  Did you seek medical attention?   Rest up and take care of yourself.. be well.

Marianne

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 247

MarianneS959437,

I am truly sorry for your loss. But every time you reread an email he is with you. Some little thing will spark a memory of your friend 😉. I know how hard this is, I keep a candle burning for a friend I lost resently.  I know her for over 25 years. We went to school together. This year I think I will plant a tree in her memory. This way I will always have some thing to remember her and can see the tree every day. Hope you are doing well. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 247

AgnesG768435,

Glad you are ok ❤️. I am the person who grow up in SeaGirt and on disability. Yes, I have been to SeaSide Heights and LBI. My Aunt Nancy had a house on Grant Beach. I love that area, just not all the traffic. I have been to Wilwood also. I used to take a group of special Olympians, fishing every year. The Cape May Marlin and tuna group, would provide free fishing tournaments in August. Our group would stay at the buccaneer motel over night enjoy the boardwalk and rides. Of course the tram car. Get up early and go fishing. The group had a blast at this yearly event. Plus, there were several wrestling people, our group was excited to see and get autograph s . BBQ at the end of the event, an award ceremony. One year, with the help of the first mate our group caught a Blue Marlin. I was able to sell the Marlin after the event and made money for the ARC of Monmouth.  Everyone in Wilwood was always so nice to my group. The buccaneer always had us stay there. The hotels and motels and boats were all Free. Such kindness brought great joy to all

Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 247

Marianne, I've so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a special,

lovely friendship. I'm sure he will never forget you. I'm glad you stuck it

out and your still posting. You said you had lived in Sea Grit. Did

you go to Seaside Heights or Long Beach Island as a child? We went

to those places. Dad use to like Ocean City. We went there a few

summers and I had a great time. I loved the beach. My favorite

beach is Diamond Beach at wildwood. Sorry you are on disability.

You seem like you keep busy and that is a good thing. I had an accident

Thursday. I was just leaving a gas station and my brakes failed. I nearly

hit a parked car and a glass window. Finally to my horror the car almost

when out on the highway. I turned to the right on grass and hit a pole!

I tried steering from it but I couldn't it fast enough. Lots of damage to

car. The airbags did not deploy. I had seat belt on but I'm black and blue.

God was with me, Marianne. Thanks for listening dear. Take care of

yourself.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 247

It is with heavy heart that I write this today.  In the past I had about 14 email buddies.  We would  send each other jokes, notes. They came from all parts of the US and one or two from Europe and Australia.  Little by little they passed on, or went to nursing homes.  I was left with just two. Today I was notified another of my buddies passed on. He was a sweet man who loved to play the old time piano. He sent me emails with attachments of  his music, which I made a folder of on my computer. Very humorous too.  I will sorely miss him  I hope he is at peace now.

I still have my buddy in Australia.  He takes trips and sends a few pictures of these trips.  He recently went to Tailand with his family.  In a way, I feel like I went on vacation too... seeing all that scenery thru his emails. I will never get to these places but as least I get an idea of what they are like.

I do wish , thru this Pen Pal site that I can make new friends .  So, if interested, just drop a note.

Marianne

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 247

Hi Nancy,

What you do is amazing.  Very rewarding feeling.  I am sure all that you do is appreciated by those who benefit from yours and others help. It's people like you that make a big difference in one's life.  Bringing peace of mind to others. And nourishment too for the body.

I give you 5 kudos for that.. lol

It is interesting what you do.  I have never heard of organizations that you mention.  See, you learn something new each day.  

I hope you rest up sometimes , for your own well being. 

Nice hearing from you once again,

take care,

Marianne

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 247

MarianneS959437

To answer your question about why I help out our service personnel, my father was a colonel in the Marine corps. I never lived on any base or moved. I grow up in a small town in New Jersey, SeaGirt. Before my daughter, Ashley went to Rutgers University, she volunteer ed for Food Not Bombs. After she moved, I started to help out with the group. We provide food, clothes etc at a weekly share held in Asbury Park. Each Sunday a hot meal and fresh produce plus other supplies are given out for free. I had the opportunity to meet some veterans who needed a little help. I wrote a grant, with help from the community, I was able to place 12 individuals . This did take me 2 years to accomplish.

I got involved with watching the deployed veterans 🐕, do with semper Fi race. The race is held each year in Seaside, NJ. This race was in the News years back, when a person blew up a trash can. I happened to be there giving out water. So, I try to do my part.

I am a Social Worker. Currently on disability, so I have the time. Plus several of my friends are food Brokers. That's were most of the donations come from others are community contacts.

Have to go unload a truck.

Stay safe. Nancy

Kudos
Views