Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Kudos
Views

Re: July 14 2018 A Thought Pen Pal difficulty

Message 1 of 298

Hello everyone.

AARP recommends that you do not publish personal details or information that may compromise your personal privacy in public view on ANY community.

If people wish to exchange details via AARP please use the Private Messaging function of this community by selecting the userID of the person you wish to contact, and then selecting the send the "send this user a private message" in the Contact Me function on the right of the window:

Annotation 2019-08-11 154330.png

We remind people to always be careful even when sharing details.

Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 298

Hello Jane,

Did you get the email that I sent you? I sent it about two or three hours ago. - Alan

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 298

Hi Alan

I just happen to check cthe website. [private email address removed to protect your online safety]

Thank you

Jane

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 298

Hello Jane,

I am having trouble with this website, which is why I want you to send me your email.  Don't worry.  I think its pretty safe.  Somebody else did and as far as I know nothing bad came of it.  Thanks! - Alan

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 298

Hello Jane, 

Thank you for the compliment and for the post.  Please send me your email address and I will email you right back.  I promise!  -Alan.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 298

Hi Alan

I was reading over your message again ......why are you jaded? 

Your  NEw Penpal Friend

Jane

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 298

Dear Alan

How are you? Your email was great! You sound like a wonderufl person to be my new penpal. I am quite lonely in the world.these days, but you are going to help me lsssen thosue feelings. . I am here in the Georgia area ni which I will be responding.

A bit about me.. working lady in helathcare field with a master degree, big reader of novels,, enjoy drama movies, the NPR radio and ;ove dogs.  I am over age of 62 years old,and raised 3 grown children hen I was married..A  daughter in  Washngton  DC just graduated wtih a BA degree from George mason University, a son in Army 4 years in California and another son who is married in Baotn Ruge Louisana .. 

Ok your turn to email me back

Jane S

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 298

A good Saturday morning, Alan,

Re: email - that is fairly safe unless you have many followers who read each other's responses to your posts.

You didn't say why you want a pen pal.

A book I read not so long ago was about a pen pal relationship of George Bernard Shaw with a museum curator and a cloistered nun; it lasted several decades until their respective deaths. Three people with very divergent lifestyles and interests. Their letters narrating their activities and experiences are very thought provoking, enlightening even. Of course, back then the only way to communicate was via what is now known as "snail mail," and letters were written in long hand.

I remember the days before all the social media and instant communication - I have none of those. I wrote long letters to friends, and awaited with great anticipation their responses.

Instant communication is shallow; it provokes no thought. Besides, what  momentous news does one convey texting every five minutes?

Enough said. [private email address removed to protect your online safety]

Have a great day/weekend...

Dita

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 298

Hello Dita,

I am afraid that most of this country is, as you say, a "cultural wasteland".  It is difficult to find anybody that can carry on a meaningful conversation about anything beyond growing grass, making money, sports, or trivia.

I didn't mean to create the impression that I am somehow hung up on WW II.  I am not.  Its just that I have been thinking about it and my father's role in it a lot lately.  I wasn't even born until 1952. 

No I remember the Vietnam days pretty well.  I was prime time age to get drafted and I can remember watching them draw ping pong balls with numbers on them for draft numbers on TV with my girlfriend.  My birthday is in December, so it seemed like all the "good" higher numbers were long gone by the time they got around to my month, but nope!  My poor girlfriend was so happy when she heard my number called.  I think that it was 363, or something like that.  Anyway, I used to tell people that the only contest that I ever won in my life (and it was the one that really counted!)was the draft lottery.  I remember friends going to Canada.  I remember student deferments.  I remember one friend whose number was 18 but his daddy was rich and on the local draft board, and he never had to go.  Of course, if you were low-ec or minoirty, you were godd as gone.  Pathetic!

Hey, you can have my email if you want it.  How should I give it to you?  If I put it on here, won't everybody and their dog see it? 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 298

Yes, indeed, Vienna and Austria are hard acts to follow. When I first came to Los Angeles I found it to be a cultural desert, hell bent on everything movies and nothing else. In many ways it still lacks in culture, the kind I grew up in. But with passage of time one tends to forget...

Everyone who's been in a war - WWII, Korea, Vietnam - suffered from PTSD. Only back in the day they didn't call it that.

I told you I'm a widow - WestPac to be specific - my husband was in the Navy; got killed while on river patrol in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. I was 29 then, and never remarried. I have no family left. Mother passed away in my house in 2013 at the age of 95-1/2.

Being curious - why do you keep writing about WWII? Recalling my childhood, that period is not particularly dear to my heart.

So, why do you want a pen pal?

Have a good weekend. Oh, lest I forget. Did you consider what I said about exchanging email addresses? Do let me know.

Dita

Kudos
Views