Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Would love to just chat!

I am recently retired and still getting used to being at home all day.  I tried to get a part time job but no success. I would love to chat and get to know people from all over the country.  Maybe you can give me some advice on retirement loneliness!  Rebecca 

Rebecca
Regular Contributor

It doesn't appear that the original poster has been back here since June 2020. I can see your post so it is there. She just hasn't seen it. That's a big problem with systems like this is that people join, stay gung-ho for a month or so and then quit coming back. I have been looking over threads and other than the people who want to argue about politics, a large number of the threads have had no activity in months.

Conversationalist

Hey there, I'm the original poster. When I joined this site I didn't know how posts and responses worked. I left the site because it's not user friendly. However, I'm back! I see how it works now.

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

It's very late here and I'm tired so will reply at more length tomorrow, but I had to say I freaking love your avatar.  

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Okay, it's morning here now and I'm not sure what I meant by, "more later," but I will at least add that I have no interest, like none, in arguing about politics.  At this point unless you're a political analyst the situation is pretty much impossible to tease the truth from.  (I know that's a prep. ending, but that rule is fluff based on the false ideal of one guy.)  

I'm open to anything but politics.  🙂

People will stop asking you questions if you answer back in interpretive dance. - Meme
0 Kudos

It says here that you are regular contributor..... and I'm interested in having folks to chat to, as well. Can you give me some tips for that? 

Social Butterfly

@jt56285305  Welcome to the AARP on-line community! It looks like this particular post has sporadic contributors. Have yet to find a post that has regular contributors who would just like to chat. I've tried in the past, but it didn't seem to have staying power.  

You can always thrown your hat it the ring, and try to start a post of your own. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, I would just like to chat. What are your interests?

Social Butterfly

@snop1010  I love to read, travel, play games ( Rummikube, quiddler, Mexican train, boggle ) Zumba, write limericks, dance, crochet, Sudoku.  The latest thing is the online trivia games they have through AARP on Thursday nights.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I would love to have chat friends but I don't trust most sites but I do this one problem is I can't seem to function on it . I respond then nothing now I am getting it on my email but dont know what to do except resond . like this is there anyway to have a two way chat?

Regular Contributor

Hi, im looking forward to retiring soon also;oh how i wish it were today! im so restless these days;it just takes a lot of prayer to get through some days on the job; its not a hard job, im an elementary school janitor, but after over 25 years, Im burnt out, and at nearly 60, its too late to start over somewhere else, or is it, and still have the same salary or better? I dont know, what do you think?

Wendell Bowen
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WendellB235731 do you have a SCSEP program in your area? They hook up age 50 and older with jobs and training for a new career.

Regular Contributor

hello  trying to learn how to chat on this site . I am not haveing good results Hope this  will begin a two way chat as It has not worked in the past.

I hear you ,us too

Warmer weather gets here

My best is more cheerier 

Regular Contributor

Spring is my favorite time, great to get busy outdoors, cutting grass, landscaping, gardening, walking, jogging, getting the bicycles out; ive been wanting a moped and one of those classy Italian bikes like they ride in the Tour De France!  Ive always been real big on fitness and stuff; that with my passion for art and painting pictures, art has become real therapy for me; plus getting paid is always nice too. I paint signs and murals too.

Wendell Bowen
Periodic Contributor

Hello my name is Richard from Oklahoma would love to just chit chat sometime.

Periodic Contributor

Greetings,
Got lots of time and love to write, share ideas, opinions and thoughts, so who knows?

Best wishes of health and happiness to you and yours, take care and be safe,
Joseph...
Periodic Contributor

Greetings from Tucson, Arizona.

My name is Michael.  Here to chat or reply to messages.  Love talking to people.  Take care everyone.

Conversationalist

Greetings from Augusta, Georgia. Sorry,  just a few years late. I didn't know how the posting worked and I didn't realize I had all of these responses!

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi. I am just getting the hand of aarps chats so bare with me. I have been totally retired  for almost 4 years.Up until covid I was never lonely. I live on a small rural acreage but I traveled to az a lot. but since I haven't been able to travel and my family is in another state i am starting to . We just recently zoomed my grandsons grad. set up by my daughter that helped alot to see everyone and listen to the chatter. What a wonderful time we live in. I love to travel all anyone has to say is lets go???? and if the finances let me I am gone(or was) I am starting to quilt, and sew I have two **bleep**zu . I love movies and netflicks frankie and grace is my favorite series  also virgin river as I have read all the books Okay tired of talking about my self  would love toa chat with everyone 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Good day Ms Lynne. Yes I too love to travel. Spent most of my career working out of state primarily the West Coast , Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas. So I'm ready to see the rest of the country. I love to garden , cook and wood working. I love to read books based on historical events. As for tv anything that's entertaining, movies the same but love a good scare. 

Regular Contributor

good morning  It is a glorious morning in the hills . could do with a little rain but I am satisfied with the beautiful sun . I am a huge nora Roberts fan especially jd Robb. I also like Robyn carr and john grisham and David Baldacci to name a few. My favorite feel good movie is Jumping jack flash . My sister is the gardner My girls used to beg me not to buy any plants as I would murder them in weeks never have found out what I do wrong. lol. 

Social Butterfly

Good morning @LynneS930241 .Do hope you're having a Wonderful Friday. Here too could use some rain we're in the 100's 😆 😥

Social Butterfly

Hello Everyone. I too recently retired and have begun feeling the loneliness of not being around my coworkers. After tending my mini garden and doing odds & ends around the house there's a lot of time left till its time to make dinner. With the pandemic and most gathering places closed, a penpal would be nice.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hey OscarE, I'm feeling the same as you in regards to missing my coworkers. I have hobbies and my art but sometimes it would be nice to sit with people my age, talk about nothing and laugh! I miss laughter.
Rebecca
Rebecca
Periodic Contributor

I would love to chat .

Hello I'm Richard King I live in yukon Oklahoma I'm a 55 year old diesel mechanic.

I look forward to your replay

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Bess...loneliness is the downside of retirement.  When I worked I was never alone.

Send me a note when you can.

2441872tr5hi57akf.gif

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Hi Besslewis. Yes I too miss the laughter. Most of the guys on my crew started in the union almost on the same week. We spent 33 years working together. Spent more time with them then my family lol. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist

Hi Rebecca,

Just send me a note or post again and let's chat!  Tell us about yourself and what you would like to do to make your life better.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@Rebecca2004 wrote:

I am recently retired and still getting used to being at home all day.  I tried to get a part time job but no success. I would love to chat and get to know people from all over the country.  Maybe you can give me some advice on retirement loneliness!  Rebecca 

Same here, Rebecca! I found that CoVID has interfered as I am truly not willing to take the chance; I live in a "senior" community and although I have no pre-existing health issues, I was in the hospital late January/early February due to fall and one of the Therapists had flu; she took one day off and wore mask on return, but with the infection reports being so vague, I feel I need to be overly cautious to not spread if I've been infected but hospital stay prevented symptoms.

Prior to that my plan was to volunteer at faith-based social service center across the street (I no longer have one due to daughters being victims 1-Oct) because I can walk there and so accomplish exercise, caring for others, and supplement my food.

I also volunteer (and hope it will begin again) for "homeless shelter" volunteer opportunity.

You may also want to investigate civic organizations such as advocacy, consumer rights and others.

I'd also recommend checking in with your local AARP office; they provide job postings, volunteer opportunities, and options to prevent loneliness and other issues that make us sad...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

Hey there...thanks for responding.  This has really been a weird two or three months.  In all my 67 years I have never experienced anything like this.  Unfortunately, all of this protesting had to start and it's really bring me down.  I remember the same scenario from the 60's.  

I too wanted to volunteer but unfortunately, I lost my car when I retired and I'm not comfortable using Uber.  I would love to work in a soup kitchen or something that would make sure people are fed.  I planned on working for four or five more years but because of a new hire at my office I had to leave.  She was younger and we just didn't mesh.  Unfortunately, she had the support of her supervisor and it wasn't a pleasant environment.  It all happened for the better and I'm finally at peace.  Maybe something will come up for me to do for a couple hours a day.

Enjoy your day, Rebecca

Rebecca
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP