Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

I plan...on my 100th birthday party, my senior citizen children will be at my party.  I will stand up on my own two feet, and I will blow out the candles on my wonderful cheesecake with fresh strawberries on top!

Periodic Contributor

As long as can be relevant and have decent mind and body; I have family who,lived over 100 years...

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

As long as I am needed and have decent health...I’m 70; have family who have lived beyond 100...

Trusted Contributor

I want to make a difference, no matter how small. Maybe it's loving and raising kids and grandkids, or loving more deeply, or helping others. I don't choose when I go. But I can choose to be HEALTHY when I go.
I take supplements, eat well, avoid toxic things as much as I can (nearly impossible) , and I try to give all my cares to God and count on His grace.
It's all in His hands. I'm going to live to the fullest.
Contributor

I want to live to 2525 & Beyond. I'll be 569 yrs. old. & Still great Looking.

Periodic Contributor

I'll only be 585 in 2525.

Contributor

And I'll be 569 yrs. Old!

Periodic Contributor

As as I am mentally and physically fit to live...of course we all desire 100 or more when possible...best to everyone!

Contributor

I want to live as long as my family needs me. I lost my wife this year, but I have five children and eight grandchildren who often need my help. I guess you could say as long as I am relevant .

Super Contributor

How long do I want to live?  As long as my cat will have me, I guess.  He found me at the shelter and never lets me forget it.

Periodic Contributor

No reason to not believe in 100...stem cells, walking everyday and plant based...

Periodic Contributor

One hundred  !

Periodic Contributor

Nchalah 90 old

Contributor

Contributor

Contributor

I'm 77 now, and as far as I know, the oldest in our clan of the past several decades.  I do feel mentally alert . I am a writer.  I think writing is the thing that keeps me alert actually, and I'd like to feel that I will have at least another couple of decades to keep at it. I've kept journals for years, but have now moved on to full-scale memoirs which give me an enormous sense of having something worthwhile to do.  I think that's important for any person, whatever your age, but especially as you move up into the "senior" years.  Make sure you have something you absolutely love to do, and then share that with your family and trusted friends.  It's definitely something to live for!

Contributor

Both of my parents died in their 80's: 86 and 87.  In both cases, their last couple of years were marked with a sharp decline in health.  In fact, both died the night before they would of moved from assisted living to the nursing home section of the retirement community where they lived.  I would not be happy, i don't think, living unable to dress myself, being incontinent, needing ehlp with many ADL's.  I'm 69 now and still very active and trying new activites.  So, do I want to live to 90?  Yes, if I can still do most activities of daily living on my own and participate in community, learning activites,  But not if I'm in a nursing home having everything done for me,

I intend to live to 108.  Thought it had a nice ring to it.  Told my son that I was going to live to 108 and he said, "That's the plan!"

Periodic Contributor

Hi 108? WOW... What would be your plan at 108? Or should I say "What plan does your son have in mine"? If 108 "Rings" for you.. then let it "Ring"...
ANTONETTE LOUISE KEMPLEN

I wouldn’t mind reaching the 100 mark, providing I was healthy enough to enjoy it. I really love this world God created, it’s beauty and mystery, it’s people, but, to at last see the face of God, well, that’s something too.

Periodic Contributor

I definitely agree.  At present am 83, have a new hip and minimal other issues.  I think 108 as a minimum.  However, if my mind disintegrates then that is another matter but I feel as though it is still working well.  I appreciate every day I am here and pray I am  a positive example to all whom I touch.

Contributor

I'm 74. I plan to live to 94, then re-evaluate.  20 more years doesn't sound like a lot, especially now (The last 20 zoomed by.) But it may be a lot if my health deteriates.

@AARPTeri wrote:

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

I am 71 years old. I would like to live to at least 120 years. But between now and then I am hoping for some miracles from health science to help me maintain a decent quality of life. I'll need more money, too.

I am 62 years young but I admit I do have some aches and pains some days but to answer question I would like to retire at age 64 or sooner and to my late 80 if it's well with my God

Contributor

I would like to enjoy living and contributing to life on Earth as long as I am not in continual or debilitating pain, I am mobile, and particularly as long as my mind and eyes function well.  For me, that is not a number, rather, I aspire to an easy passing when the time comes to the Great Spirit, Allah,  and by any other name or verballization, God. 

Contributor

@AARPTeri wrote:

I want to live to a healthy 100plus .  I believe positive expectations matter.  Also important is taking charge and LEADING your life, controlling what is within your control - how you eat, exercise, and continue to learn.  I focus on extending youth rather than extending old age.

Contributor

I believe you can live long as you want as long as you can control how much rest that you can have.

When you have loss that control people will drawn you to worthless matters. Claiming it is a matter life of death went it is not. Stay away from people that can not respect your privacy.

You may have to choice your association carefully.

You also need to choice your carefully that demand too much overtime.

I'm shooting for a minimum of 120 and in good health, not in a nursing home.
Periodic Contributor

As for me it's not the quantity of life about the quality of it. As long as I am relatively if physically healthy, able to be independent, able to be mobile, and have a clear mind Reasonably good cognitive abilities then I want to live.   At the point that any of the aforementioned are no longer true, then it's time for me to make the decision to stop medical intervention and allow nature to take it's natural course.

Regular Contributor

I could not agree more! Age is just a number, not a milestone. I am doing my best to exercise regularly, foster social relationships and continue learning. Hopefully this will help in my continued physical and mental fitness!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP