Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Contributor

Long enough to see how my 5 grandchildren's lives turn out. They range from 13 down to 5 months. I am not leaving this world until I see how their stories turn out. I am 62 now..so atleast 100.

Contributor

I'm sure glad you wrote what I was thinking about writing. It will save me from having to write something. Thanks. Maureen
Periodic Contributor

I'm afraid once the Republicans kill/cripple Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security much of the optimism on this thread will begin to turn.  Of course they will delay this for several years (see their healthcare "reform" bill that was defeated by a single vote) so their voters will "forget" that the Republicans are the responsible ones.  And they will get rid of all of them/cripple them, or try like hell to get rid of them - see Ryan's proposed budget.  What better way to have a loyal workforce than to force your workers to work or lose health benefits as they're aging and need health benefits?  My father and step mother have benefited enormously from the current system, at my, my wife's and my daughter's (continued) expense, but are full throated supporters of this attempt. Hippocrites indeed. 

Periodic Contributor

I get what you are saying. But still, unless there are some awful things you are dealing with, you really would like to have a long life....right?

Contributor

I have often heard you live to be as old as your mindset.  In the 50's I wanted to be a Rocket Scientist and have been fascinated by technology ever since.  I set my longevity to 107 or the year 2050.  I wanted to see if we would make settlements on the moon, how automobiles would evolve (driverless as they predicted in 1960), and how our living could be made better by technology.  Some things have been great, others no so great.  Lets see what the next 33 years will bring.

Periodic Contributor

I am there with you!  Born in 1945 and I have always wanted to live to 2050.  My reasons are much like yours. Let's do this!

Contributor

i will be content with every day god allows me to awaken to see another day.thats good enough for me.

Contributor

I would love to live into my 100's so I can see my children and grandchildren enjoy their lives but would want to have my mental faculties in place.

Periodic Contributor

Of course.

Contributor

At 75 with the pains of arthritis and bad kidneys from diabetes, each day I wake to say: "I love life!" I hope to live beyond 100, to see the virus - humans, land and live on Mars; possibly to spread beyond. As an atheist, I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life, the end of my creative life as I practiced medicine, still write words, music and love the world. Why would everyone want to leave knowing a child, or a wet flower in the morning dew?

I stopped eating meat so my kidneys are stable, and my joints aren't that bad. I can survive aches and pains; however, though my senses are less and I can't smell the morning grass, the tree leaves or my morning coffee anymore, but I luckily glance a visiting humminging bird occasionally. Life is still everywhere is see and enjoy.

Regular Social Butterfly

@dm24273230 wrote:

At 75 with the pains of arthritis and bad kidneys from diabetes, each day I wake to say: "I love life!" I hope to live beyond 100, to see the virus - humans, land and live on Mars; possibly to spread beyond. As an atheist, I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life, the end of my creative life as I practiced medicine, still write words, music and love the world. Why would everyone want to leave knowing a child, or a wet flower in the morning dew?

I stopped eating meat so my kidneys are stable, and my joints aren't that bad. I can survive aches and pains; however, though my senses are less and I can't smell the morning grass, the tree leaves or my morning coffee anymore, but I luckily glance a visiting humminging bird occasionally. Life is still everywhere is see and enjoy.

I don't know what to make of this. You talk about your aches & pains and yet say, "....I have no fear of death, only the loss of consious life....". To me, being conscious during death is the scariest part. I have no fear of "non-existence", but, existing/conscious during the process of dying seems brutal to me. Don't your aches & pains make you want to avoid them? Imagine how it would be to experience the slow process of rigor-mortise setting in. That would definitely be a horrible way to die. It's a good thing that that happens AFTER death/loss-of-consciousness. Life includes the good and bad. Consciousness doesn't choose between the two; it's aware of both.

Periodic Contributor

Good for you to have the desire to live to 100! Most of us have the "usual" (pains, various problems) if over 70, but we try to find the joy in everyday living. You are doing great. And 75 is the new 60. Haven't you heard?

Regular Contributor

Because of a bad infection, I lost my hearing and some memories and my car in an accident prior. I am almost 82. I asked God to restore what I lost or take me home. It's up to Him now. I know i don't want to live a lot longer like it is now but as long as I have my mind and don't develop anything more serious, I am happy to stay here. I have a wonderful granddaughter and she is planning to marry sometime soon.  I want to be around to share her joy. 

Periodic Contributor

Yes. You do want to be around to be involved in many things like this. Think about the good stuff that is still with you. Sometimes it takes a lot, but try to find a little bit of joy in every day. Try to get a laugh every day (or at least a smile).

Contributor

100 years young, provided that I am mobile and, perhaps, even active until then. Now, I am 64 and I cycle intensely 6 days per week and power walk as a alternative. My BP averages 100/55 and my resting heart rate at about 45bpm. early all of my bllod values are normal or, at least, just very slightly elevated in a couple of areas.

My ailements right now are Osteo Arthritis in my hands, 2 collapsed discs in my neck which I keep under control with meds. I am also on prostate cancer watch due to high PSA values. I had 3 sample procedures done, with a terciary confirmation that came back negative.

I don't have any family medical history of which my doctors feel that I am at risk for, but my father did pass frolm pancreatic cancer and my mother of liver failure, auto ammune and CHF. My father did have high Cholesterol but mine is OK for now.

I don't feel (hope too) that my body is breaking down anywhere else for now. But my Osteo Arthritis did seem to appear from nowhere, so I try to be very aware of any bodily pains or squeaks as much as I can. The best that I do is get an annual check up and the required shots like clockwork.

So, for now I am HAPPY and hoping to see 100 !

Periodic Contributor

86 should be about right for me unless having severe life problems!!!

Periodic Contributor

For me age isn't about time, it's a state of mind. I'm 58 now, I have some health issues but I still enjoy life. I have to work around my health stuff, but I find joy in little things. I want to see my grandson's children grow up. I want to see him succeed in life. Not about making a ton of money, but grow up, be happy and create the life he wants. He's 16 now, so if I have to live to be 100+ to achieve that, then that's what I'll do. I'm a very determined human being

At 58 years old, I naturally ran circles around my younger colleagues at work. I am told that I look like someone in her early 40's - I feel like someone in her 30's. This was a beautiful video.

Contributor

i would like to live to see my grandchildren graduate from college. As long as I can maintain my health and live independently I sure do want to live and experience all the joys of life.

Periodic Contributor

Ditto most of above. As long as I'm productive, contributive, and not a burden to my children or society, I'll go for 100 and beat my Mom, who passed from this level at 98.

Periodic Contributor

As many comments before, as long as I'm relatively healthy, maintain my hearing and eyesight and can enjoy daily life.

Contributor

I don't want to pick a specific age.  I'm 70 now and in good health, so as long as that remains true, and I'm able to live a meaningful life, I want to keep going.

Periodic Contributor

As long as I can remain useful, independent and relatively pain -free. Much of that depends upon Social Security and Medicare, so it is not age-related. It is Trump-(lack-of )-care related.

Honored Social Butterfly

80 for me, but I'm 50 now.  Ask again whem I'm 75.   ๐Ÿ˜„

90 would be good.

Contributor

I am not wedded to a number. If I begin to fail physically or mentally, I hope I drop off my perch.

I love life now at 63 and if I could stay as healthy and active as I am now I would want to live forever.  However, if I can't enjoy life  and be daily grateful for all that I have then it will be time to leave.

Contributor

I agree. I am 62, and I feel 25. Can't imagine checking out for many many years to come. 

Trusted Contributor

No longer than I'm supposed to. I've had a good life, so let'er rip.

Regular Contributor

It's not about a particular number, much more about where I'm at health-wise as I get older. If you've got nothing going on from the neck up, what's the point?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP