Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

๐Ÿค— WE are thinking of YOU! Please Stop By To See Us :)

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿค— WE are thinking of YOU! Please Stop By To See Us :)

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

WE cry, rejoice, talk, share!

Whatever YOU need, WE are here for YOU.

***YOU are a very SPECIAL person and WE want to hear from YOU***

Grief & Loss Team ๐Ÿค—

Honored Social Butterfly

@SpringIsHereSoHappy Iโ€™m glad you got that sorted out. Insurance stuff is a mess. I never believe any letter they send me. The more informed one is, the better. So stressful tho

Recognized Social Butterfly

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

My daughter is having a cookout Saturday as a meet Beasley and celebrating my 55th birthday. But nothing special on my birthday. I used to work on it unless Labor day fell on it. The only one that was really special was on my 21st. My grandmother promised to take us to dinner wherever I wanted to go. We used to have a restaurant here that had 2 million in artwork back in '89 so can you imagine how much it is worth today? The reason why that was so special was 1-my parents got me a happy birthday bouquet that had a horn and everything. I still have the card and the horn to this day because my Dad died almost 1 month after I turned 21. My dad will be gone 34 years on October 1st. So during dinner my dad and I had a beer. My Dad rarely and I mean rarely drank because his Dad was an alcoholic so that is a good memory for me. 

Honored Social Butterfly

This is from October. They are not cooperating on

this trip, well itโ€™s really only one of them lol. Front is Zeke aka Mr. Uncooperative, to left in back is Ned and on the right is Noah ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

IMG_0684.jpeg

Silver Conversationalist

DOGGEH B SAYN...

Ned to the left of me

Noah to the right

Here I am Mr. Uncooperative

Stuck in the middle with

@BeatleloverKT๐Ÿ˜€

Trusted Contributor

Nice pic and they are an attentive pack...

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm sorry for everyone's losses. I know how hard it us to keep on going, after these changes. A widow friend reminds me often that God still has you here on earth for a reason. Somebody still needs you! I think it's m

@SpringIsHereSoHappy wrote:

(1 comment) โš ๏ธ  GROUP CHAT TIME!

(1) Anyone besides OUR Beatle @BeatleloverKT TRAVELING? ๐Ÿค”

(2) OUR Mascot Beasley ๐Ÿ• has a vet's appointment THIS THURSDAY (8/31/23). MOM Kimberly @KimberlyM389662  has promised to update us on his visit.

(3) FLORIDA. Anyone have family, know someone there or own property? ๐Ÿค” I pray this Want To Be A Hurricane goes out to the ocean. Last year, 2022 - too many older folks lost EVERYTHING thanks to Hurricanes Ian and Nicole. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

(4) And anything else you guys want to chat about or share. Still hoping OUR Beatle gets around to posting a picture of her 3 ADORABLE granddogs ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ• - yes, that is a hint Beatle. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

Grief & Loss Team ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ™๐Ÿค—

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I can definitely take a hint lol. Hoping the hurricanes donโ€™t affect you ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿ™

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hi, Nicole, there is power in this AARP Grief Forum, and I am happy that you have taken the lead to encourage others to help others.  I have found that gratitude and self-less behavior has helped me to heal and not immerse myself in self-pity.  We are the village/community with broader reach and potential beyond our own suffering.  Love, Sue

Conversationalist

Hi, everyone, I am recently seeing that a number of my friends and acquaintances are getting sick or in accidents.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are all still very fragile and vulnerable.  Anxiety could be high as well leading to health matters. I have found that many of these people are alone, and no one seems to be reaching out to them to find out how they are. doing. Lately I have been making short but frequent phone calls to them, just to let them know I care.  Depending on the situation, I may not go into how they are feeling.  I just say I have been thinking of you.  That has meant a lot to them and hopefully given them some comfort in their time of need.  Unfortunately for them, they don't belong to the AARP Grief Forum, so they are on their own.  Not good and we probably know who they are.  Please set aside some quality time with them.  They will appreciate it.  Have a good day.  Sue

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

My friends and family keep in close touch with text and phone calls. I'm always happy to hear their news, good and otherwise. I think we forget that they look forward to keeping in touch with us, a trusted familiar source of hope and encouragement. 

Also vanilla ice cream is my favorite. It makes me feel better. And is easy to eat. Along with caramels covered in chocolate. Cookies and cake not so much. Mac n cheese is good. Meat is too much. Wait a minute, isn't the above my usual daily diet? Lol Why not, you only live once. Most importantly I just get going with the day no matter how I feel. Well, some days don't quite make it. But that's the way it goes.

Honored Social Butterfly

Me too. We have a need for that topic ๐Ÿ‘

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I was depressed long before John died.
I had just never addressed it. After he died, I went to pieces. I was crying everywhere I went. Even to my Dr. Who finally put me on an antidepressant. I didnโ€™t really want it and have found out itโ€™s not a cure all but Iโ€™m better on it then off of it. And that I was told by my two sons.I have a few close friends I can vent to anytime I need to and am very close to my brother, who texts me everyday to see how I am. I try to surround myself with positive people. Negativity just makes me feel worse. And music is a major help to me as well.

And of course thereโ€™s always chocolate

๐Ÿคฃ 

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Honored Social Butterfly

All we can do is try. I am a work in progress still. Meds are not for everyone. And chocolate helps in all situations lol

Trusted Contributor

Hey, count me in..

Bill

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hey Nicole, I sure wish I had a magic wand or a prophetic response. For me so far, I look to refocus on something else.  I may go for a walk, watch a TV show, heck I've even gone to the mall so shop.  I find that getting out around people even strangers can help lift my spirits. For me, I realize that not changing my setting really helped out.  Depression will be there for us and having a few tools in your tool bag can help.

Grief is just a crappy part of our lives and there no way around it. Depression rides along too.  I've called my sister and brother once in a while too.  

I guess, I'd just suggest get up and get out and leave it behind for a bit.

I'm working on a welcome speech (short as it can be) for my wife's memorial in a couple weeks.  Its no fun, but we all want our spouses to be proud of us.  She'll hear it and smile..

Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

Bill I hope you and your adult kids have a nice memorial. We had one by the water with lots of flowers strewn. I realized how my kids and their spouses and my grandchildren needed a structured focus for the event. Maybe because it was outside. Their Dad was a Veteran. I played Amazing Grace and Flowers of the Forest by Dark Isle Bagpiper on youtube, and a sacred hymn. I started with having the youngest grandchild putting her flower in the water. And so on to the oldest one. Then my youngest adult child and spouse up to the oldest one and his spouse. The music made a good focus for grieving, and not tacky as I was afraid it could be. I asked my children to instruct the grandchildren that it was a somber occasion and to be respectful at all times. Which of course they did. Their Dad is in the military and they're well acquainted with loss. This particular son read a text from the Navy funeral services. We all struggled with memories of deployments in the family. For me, it was my son's deployments. The visual focus of the flowers floating towards the sanctuary of a cove was beautiful and comforting for all. It was a small cohesive service. I was surprised and honored to receive a flag from a Navy representative. We opted for cremation and small family/friends memorial. I wanted the kids to remember their Dad with respect. He'd been sick for a long time. And not the person he once was. I'm sure he was proud of them all that day as always. 

I'm sure it will be fine for your family as well.

Conversationalist

Hi, Bill, good hearing from you.  I guess we are all struggling with our grief.  I like your ideas of getting out, which I have been doing too.  I wanted to offer some ideas on your wife's memorial speech.  I put a short revelation together right after my husband died and was at a loss on what to say.  I kept it short too and incorporated a lot of comments from friends, neighbors and business acquaintances who knew him.  It ended up being very genuine and a tribute to him and his longstanding good relations.  Also, I strongly believe that all our loved ones are still with us in spirit and smiling down on us. That is why I planted some bushes and perennials that he loved, so I can remember the good times when were together enjoying the garden.  Good luck with the memorial services.  It will be a blessing and challenge, at least it was for me, but I felt better afterwards.  Your friend, Sue

Trusted Contributor

Sue, thanks for the note and I'll certainly use your advice.  My kids who have helped me during this time (they wrote their Mom's obit for me) have suggested that we buy potted plants from Lowes and that way folks can take one home to plant if they want. My wife was a lifelong gardener.

I know that my threshold for a welcome speech will be short (can't talk too well when when I start crying) so I'll keep it short. 

For me its one of the ongoing tests for this entire challenge.  I know I'll feel better afterwards.

Bill

Conversationalist

Hi, Bill, you have the right approach.  I cried through most of my revelations at my husband's funeral.  They say that tears represent all the love you feel for you loved one.  So please do not feel ashamed about shedding tears.  It is natural.  Also, I recently read that sometimes those who grieve need to remember that family members are also grieving, only in their own way and time.  That is why we need to be gentle with them as well.  It is a tough time for all of us. Continue to take care of yourself and your kids.  Sue

Bronze Conversationalist

This makes the topics a little easier to follow. Thanks Nicole. I hope you're feeling a little more cheered up. God is always with you.

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

Bronze Conversationalist

How did you know Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy that I am feeling just like that poor little kitty?

Marcy

One Step At A Time ๐Ÿค—

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP