Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

New Year's Resolutions

Are you one of the 8% who achieve your New Year's goals?  Tell us how you do it! 

And if you aren't - we get it!  Have you ever achieved a resolution?

AARPTeri

I resolve to live for today! Great article from PCR: https://www.privatecommunities.com/ with ideas for New Year's Resolutions for Retirees https://www.privatecommunities.com/blog/new-years-resolutions-retirees.htm.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

I don't make resolutions for the new year.  If I feel I should be doing something, or doing something better or differently, I attempt to do it no matter what time of year it is.  

Happy New Year to all of you, whether or not you make a resolution!

Super Contributor

Just keep on keepin on.  With the goal of meeting each birthday in generally good health.

Regular Contributor

Be good for myself. Focus on doing good for my well being and bringing joy to life. Keep a positive attitude and laugh at myself when things aren't exactly as planned. 

Trusted Contributor

I will stay far away from Cole and get much closer to Brooklyn--for real!

Regular Contributor

New Years resolutions for me are in vain. At my age (64), I've got enough things I should be doing to keep myself in some sort of decent shape. I walk 60-75 minutes everyday and try to eat healthier. If I keep at it, I feel so much better. Life is getting more stressful; why bring more of it on yourself?

Contributor

I share my new year's resolutions with my grandchildren. Last year I set a goal to communicate more frequently with family and loved ones. I started by writing a letter to each grandchild each month sharing family stories and challenging each of them with positive quotes I have collected along the way. I really don't want to disappoint them and also 2ant to inspire them. So I have kept this resolution. This year I am focusing on recognizing all that I am thankful for. I will share this in my letters and again challenge them. Believe me, I will not let my grandchildren down!

Regular Contributor

I made a resolution three years ago to lose some weight (I've kept about 17 pounds off sucessfully).  I had to think about what my major "weakness" was - and realized that my willpower evaporated in the evening at home if there was junk food easily available.

I wrote an article about it for Ideal Living Magazine - it may interest others if they have the same issue.

Here it is:  https://www.ideal-living.com/7-lifestyle-hacks/

Jan Cullinane, author, The Single Woman's Guide to Retirement (AARP)

Contributor

I make changes when I want to make changes, if it happens to fall after Jan1 that does not mean its a resolution. Love you guys. May you have a better New Year!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm not one for making or keeping resolutions. Making a list is impractical and can only be overwhelming. I do set certain goals when the need arises, and mostly try to deal with one issue at a time. This is easier for me due to my ADD from childhood.

For example, when I started heart medication I gave up drinking wine, replacing it with alkaline mineral water, and started an exercise routine. I made it a habit to exercise or walk at a certain time every day and gradually increased distance and effort. I can easily walk 2.0 to 3.0 miles at a vigorous pace. I really hate it when the weather is so bad that I miss my daily walk, but I settle for some indoor exercising on those days.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Contributor

I will come first this year.

Periodic Contributor

I resolved not to make any more resolutions. I've been sticking to that for years now.

Contributor

Build up my emergency fund, little by little, looking at all aspects of my budget, spending, savings, etc. to see where I can improve.

Indira
Regular Contributor

I simply commit myself to something that is moderately easy to achieve and of self importance. 

Contributor

I use to make New Years resolutions, but since I am an habitual procrastinator, they never get kept ... sometimes never even attempted.

I have no problem keeping my New Years Resolution. It is the same every year: I RESOLVE TO NOT MAKE A NEW YEARS RESOLUTION!

Regular Contributor

I don't recall ever making any new year's resolutions. The whole concept of doing something just because I opened a new calendar just doesn't register with me. If I want to do something new or make a change in what I do, I just do it whenever I have the desire to. The date is irrelevant to me.

to help my fellow man to be a better man n live better

Super Contributor

If it's something I really want to do, I put an alert in my iPhone so that I'm reminded regularly. For example practicing my French every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 pm, or doing a plank every morning at 6:00. I think it's important to schedule goals into your week in a specific time. I don't always do what I'd planned, but most of the time the guilt at not doing it outweighs my laziness or business. If I can't keep u with a goal I rethink the scheduling so that I can be more successful. If it's something more general like losing 10 pounds I would schedule in exercise sessions and reminders to eat small amounts slowly, etc. This seems to work for me. 

I will try the slow eating of small portions!

Contributor

No, I don't keep my New Years Resolution like most people I keep it maybe the first 2 months of the year.  I will try again this year like most its to lose weight after reading the information regarding body fat especially in the stomach is not healthy.  Low carb diet here I come.  Please pray for me to keep my resolution this year for health reasons.  And pray is the best way.  

I have no secret way of keeping my resolutions. My main one this year is to lose 20 pounds. The only way I have done it in the past is on a low carbohydrate diet.I will try it again. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Conversationalist

Go on a vegetarian diet, you will lose 50 pounds in a year, your cholesterol will vanish, you will have good blood pressure, your thyroid will go back to normal, if it’s out of whack.
For breakfast, try Tofu Ginger Soup- put all vegetables of your choice, no rice or noodles.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP