WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 1 of 93

ABSOLUTELY YES.   Immunizations are extremely important for adults as well as children and adolesents. As an RN I have encountered patients and friends with shingles.  NO THANKS.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 93

Nice to know I'm not alone!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 93

No. Absolutely not. I don't get flu shots and I've NEVER had the flu. I've had adult whooping cough courtesy of the live vaccine given to a coworkers child. I'm 66 and I stay away from doctors. I know someone who goes to the doctor for every little thing, including getting every shot recommended and he is constantly ill. Do your homework and make an informed decision.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 93

I had shingles down my sciatic nerve in 2006. Because I was out of the country, I didn't get to my doctor until it was too late to use drugs. Consequently, I have PHN (Post Herpetic Neuralgia) forever.  Symptoms like what you describe down my leg and foot.

I didn't get the old vaccine because it was made with a live virus.

This new one is made with a man-made virus.

My doctor & sis-in-law is a nurse and they both said to get it bc the protection % is over 90%.

I will be truly a basket case if I ever get shingles again; and, you can get it multiple times. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 93

Is the vaccine needed if you have had shingles. I strongly recommend everyone over 50 have the vaccine. I had the rash on my right side at my beltline from my bellybutton to the center of my back. The rash went away but after six months, i am still having nerve pain. I don't want to have it again if that is possible.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 93

Hey AARP!

What's going on with this Shingles shot? At my March annual physical, my physician recommended the Shingrix shot but said he was out and he wrote me a prescription. I went to my CVS and got the 1st shot. On schedule in May, a few months later I went back and CVS said "Sorry, no shots" we can put you on a list - so I have been calling weekly and waiting.

I have an appointment with my Physician coming up this week - so I sent an email, asking if they had any Shingrix in stock. I received an email back, from a nurse saying - "Yes, we have them, but not for Medicare plan patients!" only commercial insurance payments.

I have the BCBS premium Supplement program, which I pay a significant amount for each month - Why are Medicare patients being discriminated against?

What is AARP doing about this healthcare discrimination?

Mark

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 93

Also, my friend who never had chicken pox and got that shot some years ago does believe that is why she got the shingles.

So if you never have had chicken pox definitely do not get this new vaccine as you will be more likely to get shingles.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 93

Not necessarily.  My friend n1ever had chicken pox and got shingles.  It was a very mild case. But I will not get the 2nd injection since I was in to much pain after the first one.  I thought I had injured my shoulder again and had torn my rotator cuff.  After a few days I realized it must have been from that stupid injection. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 93

@sb4053877 wrote:

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

Even getting some of your regular type immunizations updated is recommended by the CDC - especially if you are going to be around very young children or new grandchildren.  It also helps not having to worry if you step on a rusty nail cause you have had a tetanus update.

CDC - Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule for ages 19 years or older, United States, 2019

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 93

If you had chicken pox as a child - that virus is still in your body lying dormant.  If, like me, you are exposed to someone who has chicken pox; then, stressed or not, your virus very well could re-activate as shingles.

I was visiting family & friends in the UK and happened to meet someone who had chicken pox.  Was NOT stressed about anything.  Got shingles and could not get to my doc until after I returned to the US. 

Too late for any drugs to treat the shingles so now I have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia PERMANENTLY).

The new vaccine for shingles was highly recommended and is not made using a live virus like the older vaccine.  This new one is in two doses and has a protection rate of 90%.

The shingles follows a nerve path and some people get it where it follows the nerve up to their eyes.  Mine followed my sciatic nerve.

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

If you get shingles - all the soothing music in the world is not going to do any good - it's a virus you are dealing with.

Kudos
Views