Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Retired Community Manager

Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

The FDA recently approved a [new] shingles vaccine. Would you consider being vaccinated for shingles?

Contributor

I had it years ago. I had no problems with it.  My husband had shingles before the vaccine was available. He suffered terribly. I am a retired RN. Since vaccines started when I was a child, we began with polio drops on sugar cubes. I have seen so many less terrible diseases happen.

0 Kudos

Yes, what is it called?

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I know someone who suffers from shingles, in the groin area, and he is in pain during a flare. After seeing this, I decided to get the Shingrix 2-dose vaccine in 2019.  My insurance covered it 100%, so I'd say it was worth it.  The vaccine side effects that I experienced were pain at the injection site, chills at night and fatigue for a couple of days. 

Bronze Conversationalist

I had a mild case of shingles years ago, nothing since. I would not get the shot.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Having experienced shingles I would urge EVERYONE, even someone who did not have chicken pox, get this shingles vaccine!

The shingles issue is one of irritation and really bad itches 😉 while that sounds mundane, it is HORRIBLE... (as in digging into your skin Halloween-ween style)...

I urge everyone who has not developed shingles to take that vaccine, please...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

Most definitely!! had mine a few years ago. If you ever see someone with this you will take the vaccine. Shingles are very painful.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LindaL413638 

The newest, I hope

Shingrix - a 2-dose regiment.  

The older - Zostavax - is still around but doesn't give great protection -

the newer one is much better.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Super Contributor

I became very ill for 2 days after getting each of the shingles vaccines, but it was worth it. My friends who have gotten shingles were in terrible pain for MONTHS. I feel lucky to have been able to get the vaccines.

Regular Social Butterfly

This is something I feel very strongly about: GET A SHINGLES VACCINATION!

I truthfully was not aware of shingles or vaccines until it was too late for me; until one day I awoke with the most irritating rash in a position that didn't make sense... well below my armpit next to my chest; not a chaffing or usual contact area.

It became so bad. I didn't know what else to do so googled and found it might be a) poison ivy (no known contact that I knew of), b) measles (again, no contact that I knew of) or c) chickenpox (which I had in 1960)...

then, layers deep then, I found there was a "follow-up" disease to chickenpox: shingles

For active seniors, this is awful; I don't imagine it's better for others.

Bottom line, imho, GET THE SHINGLES VACCINE!

While not contagious, it can transmit, just as COVID immune can transmit.

Shingles was more painful, harmful, hurtful and disgusting than any disease I've had; I'm sure COVID is worse, but please recognize Shingles is real and awful!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Contributor

I got the original shingles shot long ago; and plan to get Shingrix ASAP.  My mother had shingles and never fully recovered from the pain in her leg, even after treatment.  

Periodic Contributor

Absolutely!  I have had shingles and it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced.  2 shots about a month apart.  Call your pharmacist for price or check your insurance coverage.

Contributor

Yes, and recommended by my physician - have history of skin issues since teens and father had a terrible case of this years ago. BUT I'm in the donut hole and cannot afford another $200 or more bill.

Periodic Contributor

Yes I did have them 10 years ago and would do it again!!!

Jacki Oliver
0 Kudos
Contributor

How much do the shots cost now$ in the past they were so expensive.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

With Medicare, it was $45 per dose - 2 doses 6 month apart. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes. My sister, my husband, and my 50 year old daughter all got Shingles last year. None were exposed to each other since they all live in different cities or states. 

Periodic Contributor

Yes I would. I have personally not had the shingles. I known close friends who have. It's brutal. Around the waist and on t he face and head. No blissters, it's under the skin. 

Jacki Oliver

ABSOLUTELY YES.   Immunizations are extremely important for adults as well as children and adolesents. As an RN I have encountered patients and friends with shingles.  NO THANKS.  

Periodic Contributor

No. Absolutely not. I don't get flu shots and I've NEVER had the flu. I've had adult whooping cough courtesy of the live vaccine given to a coworkers child. I'm 66 and I stay away from doctors. I know someone who goes to the doctor for every little thing, including getting every shot recommended and he is constantly ill. Do your homework and make an informed decision.

Contributor

I had shingles a few years back and the three most painful things I have had in my life are having my first child, passing a kidney stone, and shingles. If you do get shingles you will really really be sorry you didn't take the shot. Hope you will change your mind.

Regular Contributor

Hey AARP!

What's going on with this Shingles shot? At my March annual physical, my physician recommended the Shingrix shot but said he was out and he wrote me a prescription. I went to my CVS and got the 1st shot. On schedule in May, a few months later I went back and CVS said "Sorry, no shots" we can put you on a list - so I have been calling weekly and waiting.

I have an appointment with my Physician coming up this week - so I sent an email, asking if they had any Shingrix in stock. I received an email back, from a nurse saying - "Yes, we have them, but not for Medicare plan patients!" only commercial insurance payments.

I have the BCBS premium Supplement program, which I pay a significant amount for each month - Why are Medicare patients being discriminated against?

What is AARP doing about this healthcare discrimination?

Mark

Conversationalist

Absolutely Not! I believe it's brought on by Extreme Anxiety- Nerves.

My son had chicken pox when he was young and when his wife was a having a baby and after birth he became extremely agitated with all the pressure he was under.  He broke out with what looked like hives, big welts on his back, but then extreme itchiness.

He finally went to the doctor and the doctor told him he has shingles. What in the hell was that?  Never heard of it.  The medicine he took did not help with the Burning, he had to use Aloe Vera, the plant, which I peeled and put it on his back.  My son told me it's contagious.  That's another lie, never got it and I put it on his back for 5 days.

so, if your under Extreme Anxiety- go outside- put on a some soothing music, take deep breaths and pretend your in the most beautiful place ever, like at a beach, at a park, or a forest.  Make it a place where you enjoy going to!

Regular Social Butterfly

So, why are you posting your son's lies as factual? You point to misleading information but then post as if everyone should accept as fact?

Please stop; misinformation is as lethal as weaponry.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you had chicken pox as a child - that virus is still in your body lying dormant.  If, like me, you are exposed to someone who has chicken pox; then, stressed or not, your virus very well could re-activate as shingles.

I was visiting family & friends in the UK and happened to meet someone who had chicken pox.  Was NOT stressed about anything.  Got shingles and could not get to my doc until after I returned to the US. 

Too late for any drugs to treat the shingles so now I have PHN (post herpetic neuralgia PERMANENTLY).

The new vaccine for shingles was highly recommended and is not made using a live virus like the older vaccine.  This new one is in two doses and has a protection rate of 90%.

The shingles follows a nerve path and some people get it where it follows the nerve up to their eyes.  Mine followed my sciatic nerve.

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

If you get shingles - all the soothing music in the world is not going to do any good - it's a virus you are dealing with.

Periodic Contributor

Also, my friend who never had chicken pox and got that shot some years ago does believe that is why she got the shingles.

So if you never have had chicken pox definitely do not get this new vaccine as you will be more likely to get shingles.

Periodic Contributor

Not necessarily.  My friend n1ever had chicken pox and got shingles.  It was a very mild case. But I will not get the 2nd injection since I was in to much pain after the first one.  I thought I had injured my shoulder again and had torn my rotator cuff.  After a few days I realized it must have been from that stupid injection. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@sb4053877 wrote:

Because so many parents are not getting their children vaccinated these days, chicken pox, measles and whooping cough are making a giant comeback.

Be very afraid of those people who have not been vaccinated - not the new shingles shot.

Medicare covers most of the cost.

Even getting some of your regular type immunizations updated is recommended by the CDC - especially if you are going to be around very young children or new grandchildren.  It also helps not having to worry if you step on a rusty nail cause you have had a tetanus update.

CDC - Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule for ages 19 years or older, United States, 2019

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

I recently had the 2 recommended shots. No problem, other than a sore arm. I know several people who have had shingles, including my mother and a cousin, who was 53 years old at the time. Not something I would want to be afflicted with.

Periodic Contributor

I had the single shingles shot at age 60. That was all that was recommended then. Now I am 72 and told I need two shots. I had no bad effects from the single shot, so I would welcome the new ones, but my Medicare part D plan only pays half of the cost. Walmart pharmacy quoted $600 for the two shots. I guess I will have to take my chances not to have shingles again, like I did when I was 57.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP