You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 11 of 87

HELL NO!!!

I had the first one a year ago and I was in severe pain for days.  I thought I had torn my rotator cuff again until I realized I had gotten the shot.

I am due for the 2nd one and told Doc that I will not get it.

The nurse said her mom had the same reaction.  She still got the shingles but a mild case since she had received the first shot.

I will take my chances over getting the 2nd shot.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 87

Thank you for your comment.  I am not sure anyone would!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 87

Oh heck yeah, you do NOT want shingles. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 87

@ss11943859 

@GailL1 

Thank you for the info on the Fosamax. My doctor had me on this drug for at least 4 years, previously had Actonel for 3 years with a year off in between. Over the years, my bone density hasn't changed much with either med. There was a slight improvement the first year or two and then it dropped a bit and stayed about the same.

Last year I was having stomach and esophagus issues. It turned out to be the Fosamax which was stopped and Dr put me on generic Prilosec to aid digestive system.  Everything is much better now and not taking any osteoporosis med at this time. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 87

@ss11943859 wrote:

No ! I had a mild case of shingles years ago, no replapse since. Dr. didn't suggest a shot. I don't get flu shots, had a pneumonia shot once. Don't know if I need more than one shot for pnemonia, Dr. hasn't said anything about anything ! I was diagnosed with osteoporosis years ago, & the dr. prescribed Fosamax. I declined. Since then I heard of class action suits against the makers of this drug-women who'd been taking Fosamax for a couple years or more were experiencing bone loss. What's With That ?? Later on, the dr. asked if I had filled that earlier prescription. When I told her about the lawsuit, she seemed surprised, said that drug was still on the market & still being prescribed. Again, I ask-What's With That !!??

Excuse me for having very little faith in the medical profession.

You can get shingles again  - it can flare up at anytime - the new vaccination is better than the previous one - longer lasting and the new one is not a "live vaccination".  Medicare Part D covers it as your plan describes.  The new one (Shingrix) is a two-part vaccine; taken several weeks apart..  Many pharmacies have it on backorder right now - usually they work from a waiting list when it is available.

Older Adults Need Two Pneumococcal Vaccines of different makeup - these will protect you against 36 different strains of the pneumococcal bacteria.

CDC recommends 2 pneumococcal vaccines for all adults 65 years or older.

• You should receive a dose of PCV13 first, followed by a dose of PPSV23, at least 1 year later.
  • If you already received any doses of PPSV23, get the dose of PCV13 at least 1 year after the most recent PPSV23 dose.
  • If you already received a dose of PCV13 at a younger age, CDC does not recommend another dose.

PCV13 protects against 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria and PPSV23 protects against 23 strains of pneumococcal bacteria. Both vaccines provide protection against illnesses like meningitis and bacteremia. PCV13 also provides protection against pneumonia.

CDC - Pneumococcal Vaccines for Adults

Medicare PART B pays for BOTH -

Medicare Part B covers 2 different pneumococcal shots. Part B covers the first shot at any time and a different, second shot if it’s given at least one year after the first shot.
Your costs in Original Medicare

You pay nothing for pneumococcal shots if your doctor or other qualified health care provider accepts assignment

Medicare.gov - Pneumococcal Vaccinations

Can't help you on the Fosamax - I took another variety for a year or so but it made my TMJ worse and my hips would just ache - common side effects - so I stopped taking any bone density meds.

Here is the last I read on the lawsuit -

Reuters 06/28/2018 - U.S. Supreme Court to hear Merck appeal over Fosamax suits

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 87
Agree
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 87

No ! I had a mild case of shingles years ago, no replapse since. Dr. didn't suggest a shot. I don't get flu shots, had a pneumonia shot once. Don't know if I need more than one shot for pnemonia, Dr. hasn't said anything about anything ! I was diagnosed with osteoporosis years ago, & the dr. prescribed Fosamax. I declined. Since then I heard of class action suits against the makers of this drug-women who'd been taking Fosamax for a couple years or more were experiencing bone loss. What's With That ?? Later on, the dr. asked if I had filled that earlier prescription. When I told her about the lawsuit, she seemed surprised, said that drug was still on the market & still being prescribed. Again, I ask-What's With That !!??

Excuse me for having very little faith in the medical profession.

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 87

Not yet.  People on both sides of my family have had Shingles.  There was no vaccine available.  But my doctor is still reluctant to say it is safe.  So I will just wait for a while longer.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 87

What drug stopres in West Los Angeles have the shingles shot?  I am on several waiting list but have never heard from any of these outlets.  Also on the VA list but have not heard from it eiher.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 87

Not getting the second one, had a bad reaction to the first shot, whole body felt like it was burning for about 15 minutes, light flashes and dimmed vision,  profuse sweating,nausea 

Kudos
Views