Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine?

Message 31 of 46

I currently have post herpetic neuralgia from shingles.  

Is this new vaccine made with a live virus?  That is the reason my doctor advised AGAINST the previous vaccine.

Is this new one made with LIVE VIRUS?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 46

sestanton1 wrote:

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

It is covered by Part D - your prescription drug plan.  It is NOT covered by Medicare Part A or Part B thus your supplemental has nothing to do with it.

Find out how much your portion of the shingles shot you will have to pay if you go to a preferred pharmacy on your plan.

Make sure you tell them you want the newest one - it is better and I assume it is already on the market.  Zostavax is the old one, Shingrix is the new and better med

Are you eligible for "EXTRA HELP"?

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 46

Unfortunately, I am on a tight, fixed income and cannot afford the shot. My pharmacist said my part of the cost would be $200. Seems like a small amount

to pay for prevention, but not on my budget, although I have Medicare Supplemental insurance.  

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 46

Yes

Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 35 of 46
Misdinosed at hospital had pain for 14 years. Will shot help
Info Seeker

Re: Would you consider the shingles vaccine? YES!

Message 36 of 46

We baby boomers all had "shots" as a child. Immunizations are very important to babies and adults. Why would you NOT get the vaccine? Preventive medicine is very important in these times of contatagious viruses. I want to do all I can to protect myself from everything possible.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 46
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 46

Thanks, AARPLynn,

Yes, some stuff does get by me - this is good to know for several reasons

From your link:

GlaxoSmithKline said the price of its shingles vaccine, called Shingrix, will be $280 for the required two shots. Merck & Co.'s one-shot Zostavax costs $223. Most insurance plans cover it.

Now that there is competition - perhaps the price will come down but since it seems the new one is better (?) the price for this one might stay high or go higher if the demand is there.

I don't think this new vaccine would have ever been developed except for the money which Merck reportedly made off Zostavax especially since Medicare promoted it as well as the CDC.

. . . . and it has a better (?) efficacy rate than Zostavax -

Zostavax reduced the incidence of herpes zoster by 70% in 50–59-year-olds, by 64% in 60–69-year-olds and by 38% in people aged 70 and older in its pivotal trials. Shingrix vaccine provided 97% protection against herpes zoster in patients aged 50 years and over.

The new one (Shingrix) ia also a non-live, recombinant subunit vaccine.  This differs from Zostavax which is a live vaccine and where prep and injection route by the pharmacy giving it is imperative.  That's the reason my doc would not give me an Rx - he said for these specification, he wanted to make sure it was given correctly so I had it in his office.  Zostavax was given subcutaneously, Shingrix is give intramuscular.

This sounds great all the way around -

Thanks for the heads up.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 46

@GailL1 - Yes, my PPO insurance paid 100% for shingles vaccine, and it is expensive. Now it happens that my MA HMO plan has it listed as a tier 3 on their formulary, but it isn't covered by regular Medicare alone. That seems odd since shingles is typically seen in people over 60. However, my husband had a shingles outbreak at 50-ish, and he's always been a healthy guy and an avid runner.

Community Manager

Message 40 of 46

Hello @GailL1, you make a good point and after reading your post I edited the OP to specify that this is a new vaccine. Indeed, this is the second shingles vaccine on the market. The article, FDA Approves New Vaccine Against Painful Shingles, talks about this being a "...a new, more effective vaccine..."