Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 141 of 1,088

when we take my mother to dialysis treatments (which is quite a road trip to get there) we always take the time to have a nice picnic in the park.  i want my family to remember good times, even though it's not a pleasant reason for the trip.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 142 of 1,088

My name is Glenna Walker.  I lost my momma 9/15 due to complications from Alzheimers.  She was in nursing home when she passed.  I cherish every moment I was able to spend with her.  I miss her so much.  She was my best friend.  She was 83 when she passed.

It has been almost three years now since my momma passed.  My daddy just turned 90 years old on 8/10.  He isn't doing so well.  He was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure.  He fell last month and broke his hip, had surgery, now he is in a rehab facility.  Afterwards, he will probably be moved to a nursing facility.  I just hate this.  He seems happy where he is.  He is still alert and enjoys playing the piano at the rehab facility.  He has played his whole life.  It is his passion.  He has a really nice place of his own behind my brother's house and was being watched over and taken care of by my brother, his wife, and their 19 year old daughter.  Has everything he can ask for there, but I think he was lonely since they worked most of the time.  His little dog just passed away while he was in the rehab center.  He's never been one to show emotion, but his words were "oh that hurts my heart" and his eyes teared up.  He loved that little dog.  It was my momma's dog.  I guess all he felt he had left of her.  Anyway, he says he really likes the rehab center.  Lots of people to talk to, other company to enjoy.  I'm just not ready to let go of my daddy yet.  I am the youngest of five.  I am 55 years old.  I love my daddy so much.  I just want him to be happy.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 143 of 1,088

Hi I'm Loretta,

My favorite person in the world name's Eva. She's 75 and she has taught me everything I know. Eva has always been extremely independent, so it comes as no surprise that she refuses to let her aliments get the best of her. Maybe that's the Virgo in her as well lol. We plan on traveling to Las Vegas for her birthday. We have been twice before, but this time is a real testiment to Eva's strentgh. AARP represents real possibilities, and that's exactly what Eva and myself are!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 144 of 1,088

Great job to all of you who are sticking with it.! Thanks for all the great ideas and encouragement.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 145 of 1,088

We were are caregiving to the family.  john was there too, bless her soul.  We checked daily on the progress of the progressions, and validated all verifications.  After twenty days at the cabin we had cathing over 20 different fish, all of we enjoyed frying and spending some days together for caring and giving.  It was a good vacationing with each other for the moments that are cherish are the minutes that we preciously preserve.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 146 of 1,088

We watch out for each other making sure everyone is doing well.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 147 of 1,088

I went with 2 of my uncles my mom and 2 coisins to the beach. At the start we went to the wrong beach and it was so disapointing because there was a lot of rocks and it was pretty annoying, we stayed it a hotel with a pool and we tried enjoiying the night there. Next day we went to the beach we should've went before, it was great we even stayed like 3 more days than we should.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 148 of 1,088

summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 149 of 1,088

I've been taking care of my Mom, for about 9 years now. She'll be 95 in November, was diagnosed with vascular dementia about 5 years ago. It's hard, being as it's just me, no other family to help out. I quit my job to take care of her fulltime, and trust me, it is a job. She now longer walks now, rarely speaks, but I can still manage to do transfers to move her from place to place, like from her bed, or in her lift chair in the living room.

She nearly passed away earlier this year from chronic UTI's, and it's been rough, but she's a fighter, and I feel she's earned the right to still be here, so I really feel grateful I still have her. I'm an optomist person, and I'm so happy when she has good days, it makes everything so much easier, but of course, there are days when she's not 100%.

You only have one Mother, and I dearly love mine, and I know she can't help having her dementia. She knows she's loved, and safe with me in our home, I do as much as I can, to make her comfortable. She loves to color! And she has some fidget blankets to occupy her. On her good days, she sometimes tells me she loves me, and that's what it's all about. A unconditional love between a Mother and a daughter.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 150 of 1,088

I was a caregiver to my husband for 21 years.  I wish I could do it all over again.  You see, the love of my life passed away 2 years ago, and I can't seem to get past that.  Leo was 19 years older than me.  But he was the kindest, handsomest man I had ever met.  He loved me unconditionally and that wasn't easy!  He was hurt on the job in 1997 and had to retire.  He had a bad back injury that caused him to need help with his ADL.  He tried to make it easy for me, and didn't ask for much.  We had an amazingly busy life even with the injury.  Where I went, he went too.  Then in 2015 he was diagnosed with kidney cancer.  A lot more care was needed with frequent showers and laundry.  I had a hard time lifting him, and we didn't have a lot of help.  But the help we did get, we sure appreciated.  I consider it a priveledge to have cared for him.  I miss him so much!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season