Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Rest

Community Manager
Community Manager

The Best Thing I Did for My Brain in 2020 - Rest

Sleep is essential to our overall mental and physical well-being, advises the Global Council on Brain Health. Itโ€™s important that we pay attention to our sleep habits in order to manage both the short-term and long-term effects. Restorative sleep can leave us feeling refreshed and energized, and we may feel more in control of our mood and emotions. The opposite might be true the day after a restless night of sleep.

How did you ensure you were getting enough restorative sleep in 2020? Did you incorporate a new bedtime routine? After a good night's sleep, how do you feel? Did you struggle to get enough sleep and feel well-rested at times? What did you do to cope with that?

Learn more about ways to keep your brain healthy as you age by checking out the book โ€œKeep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Ageโ€ by Sanjay Gupta, MD.

Periodic Contributor

Exercise in the day, whether swimming or yoga makes me sleep well.
Sometimes I'll drink some Celestial Seasonings Vanilla Sleeptime Tea.
But, I always listen to singing bowls or nature sounds on Insight Timer, a free app for your phone.
That puts me right to sleep.

Trusted Contributor

the best thing for a good night's sleep is to tire yourself out during the day as a walk would do or at work & take no naps then you'll drop like a rock in bed at night. i also clear my mind as i lay in bed by singing songs & thinking pleasant thoughts until i "drift" off. it works for me.

Social Butterfly

One tip for those who have a hard time get to, or stay asleep, is to have a notebook on your night stand and empty out anything that is swirling around in your head.  Better on paper then ruminating endlessly on a loop. Christine

Conversationalist

I take #6 Hylands when my brain does not want to shut down. Itโ€™s homeopathic medicine and it calms the mind so you drift into your dreams.

I usually watch a movie, a happy one, or read a book, or play a game, not a thinking game because your brain is too focused, just a funny one.

I tell my Reptilian brain, I will be going to sleep at 11:30 pm, so that way it canโ€™t think of anything else to block that idea. It usually works, just try it.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Well, I shower drink my tea watch a movie then night night 

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am also a tea drinker at night. It's such a nice way to wind down! What tea do you like to drink @RacquelE712599?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Why is it that when I was younger I had trouble sleeping but now I have trouble staying awake?

0 Kudos

I drink Lemon Balm herbal tea. Smooth and relaxing. Also, especially if I wake in the night, I use a sleep app on my phone, like Calmor Pzizz.  They have sleep stories or relaxing talks to help relax the mind as well as the body. Very helpful.

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Thank you, for asking Rachel I Drink Celestial Seasonings Chamomile Tea. Rachel please share , What kind of you like ?

Racquel Evans
Contributor

Celestial Seasonings Honey Vanilla Chamomile.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I also have Celestial Seasonings! I like the sleepytime with vanilla, and I also will mix chamomile with a bag of Herbal Medicinal peppermint with probiotics. I also enjoy Good Earth's sweet and spicy nighttime tea.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I stop eating 3 hours before bedtime, and never snack, so my sleep is usually "solid." I take a warm shower, go to bed at 8 p.m. every night, and read until 9 p.m.Not exciting, but I sleep about 7 or more hours so it works!

Conversationalist

If I'm going to bed late, and am going to be sleeping in, I put the "vampire panels" up. I covered some foam boards with felt the same color as the curtains and they fit right in the window casing. Between that and the "blackout" curtains, my bedroom is as dark as can be no matter what time I wake up. Virtually no light, and a lot less noise, gets in and I don't worry about waking up too early. But it's probably not the healthiest sleeping routine.

Lately, despite how much rest I get, I tend to wake up still feeling tired. But once I physically get up, that fatigue is gone. I imagine this will just increase as I get older. Wonderful.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your vampire panels are genius! I like it to be as dark as possible when I sleep too, but my window coverings allow light in now. I have sunshades and then blackout curtains. It makes it dark enough at night, but once the sun comes up some light gets in at the top of the curtains. It's probably for the best because it helps me wake up.

I also experience feeling tired when I wake up, but then once I get moving the fatigue disappears. I try to start the morning by not looking at my phone. Instead, I give my dog some snuggles and stretch.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP