Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Contributor

REPLACING OUR AARP CREDIT CARDS WITH BARCLAY BANK CARDS - SEE POSTSCRIPT WRITTEN 09/21/21 and 09-24

Has anyone else been concerned about the closing of our current AARP credit cards and its effect on our credit scores? We've had our VISA for many years and have built a lot of history with them. Now AARP is going to CLOSE those accounts and replace them with a new one that won't have any history. Just closing the account will lower our scores significantly. We, for one, don't want to use the Barclay cards, which offer significantly less rewards, so the total amount of our credit will be reduced, another factor in the building of our credit scores.

What do you think?

POST-  Postscript 09-21-21: To head off what I was sure would be a catastrophe, and after looking up references on Barclay, we created a new Chase CC account (on August 12th, received it on the 15th), set up our auto-pay bills, and set up the new account for auto-pay from our bank. We paid off the balance on the old AARP account by 09-08-21, and cashed in all our rewards. Then today, we activated the Barclay account (online) and immediately canceled it (by automated phone call). We're in the process of setting up a second Chase card to compensate for the first CC account lower credit limit. Guess we're  lucky to have managed to get through to our Barclay account. Keep trying, folks, and don't hold back on your comments to both companies. They certainly could have done a better job of planning all this. Giving their customers a voice in the choice should have been STEP NUMBER ONE.

AND yet another POSTSCRIPT on 09-24: Today Barlcays was daring enough to send us a 'welcome' email with a reminder to activate our card, to which we replied,

"Thanks, but no thanks!

We didn't, and don't, want your card. We have already activated and immediately cancelled our Barclay cards.

For those poor folks who are, to this day, still trying to activate their card or just talk to a live person at your company, we extend our sympathy. Your company has made what should have been a direct and automated process so overly labor-intensive for so many seniors that you won't soon be forgotten or forgiven.

Shame on AARP for choosing you and shame on you for being so ill-prepared to handle the conversion.

Signed, 'notsoyoung'
Regular Contributor

Are you also getting email notifications saying there is a secure message , like this.."

You have a new message in your secure inbox on our customer website. To view your messages, log in to BArklaysus and click on the New Messages link above the image of your card or click on the button below.",  and finding no new messages? that seems to be another problem they have. not to mention that the new messages link above the card image never shows anything but a 0, even when there are messages!

Regular Contributor

On thing I've noticed... I get a lot more challenges when my VPN is turned on... looks like using a VPN triggers more challenges to logging in.

Trusted Contributor

The whole process is absolutely ridiculous.

Worst experience everโ€ฆ no live person at Barclays .. tried multiple times never answer tried different times day and chat / never answer / cashed out rewards for membership 2 weeks ago - never posted to Aarp โ€” unclear statements. Had balance and paid off / then another balance popped up / no one to help me / I paid it and canceled/ had to do that automated - wrong move Aarp/ my chase Aarp card I had no issues with / donโ€™t get it ! 

Regular Contributor

After reading this I realize I am not alone..... we did not have the Chase Travel Rewards card, but we got the Barclays travel Rewards card... I, too, had lots of problems getting the card activated.... I was able to create  Barclays account days before I was finally able to activate the card. And, I noticed that every time I logged into the account, the pages shown and the info on those pages was slightly different.

my main gripe is that even though documents from AARP showed that card accounts other users would receive a separate card with a unique number, we never received a card for the other user... Me! so about 6 days ago I logged on to the account and added myself as another user. Today I checked the Barclays account, and account  still shows no other user on the account. I'm researching other cards and will be paying off and cancelling the Barclays card ASAP...

Added today 10/4/21... Anybody beside me think that the responses from AARP are robot generated? I've scanned thru many and they look like bots to me...

@BobtheScott 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPLakeishaโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • AARP membership number (or home address)
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was able to use the automated phone responses to find my account info... All ID info was accepted. 

I am on hold now for close to 4 hours, trying to get:

1- No new card delivered.

2- Full Account number, as when trying to set up Online Access, there are security error. 

Also- There is a secondary thread INRE: Interest rates. Mine was 12.49% (Other thread listed one of the posters interest at under 7%) at Chase... I haven't been able to contact anyone at Barclay, as I said, but there minimum appears to be 16.74%. That's a pretty significant increase, to say the least, and considerably higher than other comparable rewards cards. (see BofA).. Chase's rewards were more than adequate.. 

UPDATE 10/06/21... 

Please note.. Initial mailing was done to a "previous address". Not sure why. 

After a 6 hour or so wait I finally got connected to a Relationship Analyst, aside from the wait time, the Analyst was extremely helpful and knowledgeable....  

Got the address issue straightened out, new card arrived today, old card was cancelled (although it still shows in my accounts?). 

Got the information on the interest rates for existing balance and new purchases, same as Chase. 

Thanks.. 

Regular Contributor

@StevenF161707 

AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPLakeishaโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • Best contact phone number

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Shame on you AARP. Waited HOURS to talk to a Barclays phone rep. Travel rewards with Barclays DO NOT include booking cruises. Chase did. You took away any real rewards when AARP switched from Chase to Barclays just to bring in more revenues to AARP. You do not help seniors.

Jim K

Contributor

You might want to share that with Barclays. I don't mean talking to someone in an overworked call center, that's not designed to address what you want. SOMEONE at Barclay's would like to know how to get, retain, and develop your customer loyalty. It's a shame that trail wasn't blazed before putting you in this position.

Periodic Contributor

My card is finally activated.  Yea!  Called the president of Card services and they contacted security.  They had the wrong birthdate on my account.  Not sure if that was from AARP, Chase, or just an error in the system.

Trusted Social Butterfly

How did you contact him?

Periodic Contributor

It is a commonality as I had the same issue with my bday, and other's have had the same... AARP is responsible and ironic that they abused seniors

Periodic Contributor

I think the majority of people who had activation issues were related to incorrect birthdates being transferred into the Barclays system.  Such a poorly executed transition - by an organization that is supposed to advocate for seniors!  What a disconnect.  Follow the money on this one....

Contributor

Barclay is offering a 100.00 bonus if you spend 500.00 in the first 90 days of opening your AARP credit card. The problem is, this is ONLY available for NON-AARP members. AARP members DO NOT get this bonus offer. We get nothing but problems from this card. Shame on AARP for forcing seniors to put up with all these problem issues and not helping us. Their apologies are useless, we want solutions.

Periodic Contributor

So after many many many hours on the phone my mother actually did receive a call back from a Barclay representative assuring her that her card was not closed. It was active and ready to go. She is still using my credit card for any auto pays because she has not been to a store to make an inexpensive purchase to see if the card works.

However I have tried to create an online profile/account for her today and yet again received the error message that they couldn't go through with the process to complete the profile.

I think that my current thoughts towards Barclay and AARP are not kind ones and best not verbalized LOL.

Can anyone offer some help to figure out why after 1 week still I cannot create an online account?

It is beyond exhausting and I just cannot wait to straighten this out so we can leave it all behind us and not renew our AARP membership.

AARP CUSTOMER SERVICE REP CAN YOU HELP?

Periodic Contributor

Was just wondering if we'll get a tax deduction for the 1% of every one of our purchases that gets "donated" to the AARP Foundation?  Likely not.  I'm currently looking for a credit card with better benefits and will change to it as soon as I've reviewed the options.  I wish there was a way to opt out of contributing to the Foundation with every purchase I make, but it doesn't appear that's possible except for dropping the Barclay's Essential card, which I will do soon.  BTW--great name, since this card appears to be VERY essential to AARP.  

Periodic Contributor

I'm with you!

My objections to this mess are too many to name. One week post changeover and I am on my 6th hour on hold trying to correct phone numbers that are 10 and 11 years old. Will be so glad to finish dealing with Barclays. All the AARP people say is that they will escalate the inquiry. When I send them the info they request, they send another e-mail form letter asking for the same information. AARP is on my sh^&*&^% list as well as Barclay. What idiot thought this was a good idea?

We intend to go to Chase this week and open an account. We reviewed all previous communications and saw NO opt out information regarding the transfer to Barclay. Once the errors on Barclay are corrected, let it rot.

BTW - I went through this with a major member card changeover a couple years ago. Smooth as glass, no errors, no issues, no problems. It CAN be done.

Regular Contributor

Vic I am on this newer site, since other called Solved only had few comments. Now am trying to read latest info from other struggling members. I guess only way I cancel card I rec from Barclays is to activate it or go online & set it up which I tried wks ago, it accepted my Birthdate !!! But next ? Was what was my security code!!!! Yikes!!! I guess was being forced to open online acct which I have never done on any financial accts, always get paper stmts for yrs. Soooo I stopped was going to cut up card since new Chase card was approved so quickly, stating a CL any, card should arrive 3-5 days so can call sewer co to fix my old line from 1946 before floods basement like happening to neighbors near me. I so very thankful I applied from phone to Chase for Freedom unlimited card!! I was Praising God for HIS help!! My ? is if I had zero bal & all 5 automatics removed & had stopped using Chase card, but had gotten Barclay one, can I just cut up B card & be done?? I do not want to activate just to get a security code, don't want advice from AARP or Barclay, is there any one can advise me?? Thank you.

Regular Contributor

I too went to Chase website on 10/3, also got a card approved with great credit line, will have my new card in next few days... I will be cancelling the Barklays card the day I receive the new Chase card. yes, it appears that we do have to activate the card/set up the account with BArklays before we can cancel the card...

Retired Moderator

Hi Nancy, AARP Member Benefits Team here to help. We certainly understand your concern regarding the service provided by Barclays. Speaking with Barclays directly would be the best and fastest way to get your concerns resolved. Weโ€™d be happy to forward your concern to the Escalation team we work with at Barclays for their thorough review and investigation if youโ€™d like. To do this, we will need more information. Please send me a private message in the AARP Online Community by clicking this link and entering my username, โ€œAARPAngelaCโ€ into the โ€œSend toโ€ box https://community.aarp.org/t5/notes/composepage. Please provide the following details in your message:

• Your first & last name
  • Best phone # and email address to contact you
  • Description of the issues you are having with your AARP Credit Card

You can also call us at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) to request an escalation and provide this information as well. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I wanted to have a VISA Card and with the changeover all my Credit Cards were Master Cards. Signed into the Chase web site this evening and got one of the Chase Cash back Visa cards. Took me less than 10 min to complete the app form. Signed off from the Chase Web site and there was an E mail in my in box from Chase. I was approved and will have my Visa Card in 3 to 5 days.

That to me is great service.  I got my 3% dinning discount back to.

Retired Moderator

Hi there, sorry to hear you are still having difficulties getting through to Barclays. I sent you a private message in the online community. Please review and reply when you have an opportunity so we can try to get things sorted out for you. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I paid off my Chase AARP card on Aug 18 and closed the account a couple of days later. The person I talked with told me that I would not receive the Barclay card, which was why I was closing the Chase card. (to not get the Barclay card)   And still in September, I received the Barclay card. I don't want to activate the Barclay card or create a Barclay account. I shredded the card after taking pictures of it. I am sure I'm going to continue receiving mail and emails asking me to activate this Barclay card.  I should not have received this card. Who can I talk to to cancel whatever pre-setup account is waiting for me to log into?

Retired Moderator

Hi there, thank you for raising this concern. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion. If you canceled your account prior to the conversion but still received an AARP Credit Card from Barclays, Barclays has confirmed you may destroy the card and disregard without contacting them. The Change in Terms notification sent out also informs members that they will still receive a card even if they opt-out, but to destroy it upon receipt as the account will not be active. I hope this helps!

Contributor

I did the same as you. Cancelled the AARP Visa and declined the new AARP Barclay card and still receiced it.

AARP please tell us how to cancel without activating this card we didnt want.

Retired Moderator

Hi there, thank you for raising this concern. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion. If you canceled your account prior to the conversion but still received an AARP Credit Card from Barclays, Barclays has confirmed you may destroy the card and disregard without contacting them. The Change in Terms notification sent out also informs members that they will still receive a card even if they opt-out, but to destroy it upon receipt as the account will not be active. I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I activated my AARP Barclays card online with no problem, but I've tried about a dozen times to set up an online account and I keep getting the same message, "That wasn't supposed to happen. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we could not complete your request. Please try again." I'm so sorry I activated the card because I already used it once. I just want to cash in the Rewards points that will transfer from Chase and never use it again. By the way, I was very happy with Chase and never had any problems with them.

Contributor

Just as an update, I did eventually set up the online account and have had no problems since then.  I use the card as a secondary card to another card, so I don't use it that much.  It's alarming to see how many people have had a much worse experience than I did.  AARP should be ashamed.

Periodic Contributor

You are on point about how other's have suffered at the hands of a CLUELESS AARP and the irony of it all!!!  Make sure when you cancel the Barclays card, as I did, that you cash in your credits first... The $10 offered for this "inconvenience" of waiting for HOURS, over and over, on the phone is insulting and representative of the incompetence of AARP

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP