Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How much time is good enough if I only have time for a short workout?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How much time is good enough if I only have time for a short workout?

With all of life's distractions these days, I'm finding it hard to get in the same amount of time to exercise as I used to.  How much time is good enough if I only have time for a short workout?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager
Community Manager

While there may be no set rules for how long your quick workout should last, research has shown benefits of a 10-minute workout that include just one minute of intense exercise (where you increase the pace of your walking, running, or movements). Learn more about the value of short workouts.

Consult your doctor before starting a new exercise regimen.

View solution in original post

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

As we r retired I do have time for working out. Before corona I did circuit training 45 minutes 3 days a week plus 1 hour a day biking(Just over 10 miles) each am.

Now that our gym is closed due to corona I bike 2 hours each morning (about 21 miles) monday thru friday and 1 hour a day on the weekend. I now only do 150 arm  curls using 15 lb weights.So my upper body is getting way out of shape. I do miss the circuit training.Am getting enough cardio just need upper body strength training. We now have video classes so will be trying that.

Your 10 minute workouts are a life saver for me!!!! I am using Denise Austin's Flat Belly video and her walking video. I also love Bryant Johnson's 10 minute Balance video. I've tried other longer videos online but these are perfect for me!!! I'm 77 with two total hip replacements. Your videos are keeping me limber and not as afraid of falling. I count on your videos. However, I don't know how to save them and when G-Mail removes them - I don't know how to get them back. I don't know how to save your emails to a folder on gmail that will not be deleted. I also do 10 minutes on my stationary bike and walk the dog around the neighborhood when the outside temperature is lower than 80 degrees!

Thank you so much for all your wonderful emails that are helping me to stay healthy!!!!!!

Contributor

Even on days when I have a lot to do, I may find myself able to fit 10 minutes in between things.  I find it better than nothing to fit in one of the Denise Austin 10 minute workouts.  

45 minutes a day.

Periodic Contributor

6 times a day, i walk at a fast pace for 10 minutes in my apartment.  4 miles and 60 minutes a day.

3 times a week, i lift dumbbells for 12 minutes.

this works for me.

It's always good to try hitting a goal amount of steps, minutes, classes, miles, or whatever.  However, always keep in your mind that anything is better than nothing.  Don't skip an activity because it would "only" burn a few calories or get you moving for a few minutes. Everything counts!

Contributor

Check the mayoclinic website.
 For healthy adults they recommend about 30 minutes of moderate exercise and 10 minutes of strength training a day. They also note the most important thing is to just do what you can. Something is better than nothing.

Contributor

Besides everyday activities, I have found the best way to keep active is with silver sneakers videos. They range from 2 min. to 30 min.

Contributor

How do you get these silver sneakers videos?  Would like to see how they work..

Contributor

Hi Patti2311, 

Just google silver sneakers videos. Then you can see them on YouTube or silversneakers.com 

Community Manager
Community Manager

While there may be no set rules for how long your quick workout should last, research has shown benefits of a 10-minute workout that include just one minute of intense exercise (where you increase the pace of your walking, running, or movements). Learn more about the value of short workouts.

Consult your doctor before starting a new exercise regimen.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP