Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 4: Healthy Eating Contest: Scrap This For That

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 4: Healthy Eating Contest: Scrap This For That

Week 4:  SCRAP THIS FOR THAT: Try regrowing one food from your scraps this week (June 22-30, 2020).

Some foods can be regrown in simply water and with exposure to sunlight. Try regrowing celery with the following easy steps:

1. Cut off the end. Slice about 2 inches off the root end of a bunch of celery. 
  2. Place the celery in a shallow glass bowl or jar of water.
  3. Watch it grow. After a few days, you should start to see small leaves emerging from the very center of the top.
  4. Replant in soil.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

Official Rules: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Eating-Contest-Rules-June-20...  

AARPTeri
Trusted Contributor

For green scallion tops all year round, save the bottom of an onion, let it dry out a couple of days, then plant in a small pot, keep moist, and in sunlight. It won't be long before you have scallions, that will keep growing even after you snip some off to sprinkle over salads, omelets, chili, etc.

onion.PNG

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The one on the left is a carrot top. The one on the right is a sweet potato.20200623_173611.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Mint roots very easily in water and looks like a pretty little bouquet so I have this bunch in a guest bedroom!  Every time I go by, I give it a little pinch to release that beautiful mint scent into the room. Once itโ€™s rooted, Iโ€™ll plant it in a pot outdoors and look forward to mojitos or mint tea all year long!

62560927-B10B-415F-A229-FAA28B501AA1.jpeg

i have an avacado started from a pit that looks promising. I  hoping to be able to put it in the ground soon.

IMG_20200623_144729824.jpg

0 Kudos

I was excited to see this topic as the healthy eating contest feature for this week. I have been using the scraps of several vegetables during the last couple of months to regrow them for reuse in my meals. I have celery, Romain lettuce, and cabbage. I am pleased with the results from each of those vegetables. Iโ€™ve also used the top of a pineapple and Iโ€™m waiting to see growth in that as well. 

26D8ECF8-82B9-4D7A-8747-14068CA640B9.jpeg

CD72D56C-BC40-4124-8ECA-0BC14E3B0DC6.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

Used an old pantry potato to grow a new spud plant in Seattle!  

potato aarp.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

potato aarp.jpg Grew a new potato plant from an old cupboard spud.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read on AARP that you could grow lettuce by cutting off the bottom of lettuce and letting it re-grow in water (and later plant).  It works!  My first two attempts were showing great promise but we're stolen by some sort of wildlife so now I am trying inside in a sunny window. I am amazed!  The picture is after only 3 days!!!

20200622_183421.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Iโ€™m regrowing some beet leaves from the bottom small bulbs of a bunch of beet leaves I bought in early spring from a farmersโ€™ market.

A69C2F50-B9F6-48AF-B28F-29FED85B8C6B.jpeg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I had some particularly delicious cherry bomb tomatoes that were going bad and I was just about to toss them when I remembered I had a pot full of good soil with nothing planted in it.   I scraped off the top couple of layers of dirt, squeezed the seeds out of the tomatoes and continued to water it daily.  This is two weeks later.  I can't wait so see where this goes from here.IMG_0758.jpeg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This has been SO much fun! Who knew you could grow romaine from scrap???This has been SO much fun! Who knew you could grow romaine from scrap???

0 Kudos
Contributor

I tried the romaine base and they all just rotted! Does it take a two inch base to grow?  Mine was about one inch.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

saw online how you could grow romaine from the stems of store bought, so I gave it a try. This is actually an older photo, they've gotten WAY taller, and I have 5 growing in that pot at the moment. Now, to keep the dratted bugs from chewing on it!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

805C4012-9F87-42F6-AA7E-684AB4222DF5.jpegScallions regrow very easily in a little cool water. Change the water every other day and enjoy new growth from the center of the plants!  ๐ŸŒฑ

Periodic Contributor

Working on regrowing some iceberg lettuce. Week 1 and it's really starting to bloom.

Regrowing Iceberg Lettuce - Week 0Regrowing Iceberg Lettuce - Week 0Regrowing Iceberg Lettuce - Week 1Regrowing Iceberg Lettuce - Week 1

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The next time I shop I'm going to pick up celery, lettuce, and some herbs to try to root!  Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with what I have on hand.

The ever-popular avocado! Alas, this one split, maybe it'll still root. 

A potato, though I probably won't grow potatoes the plant is attractive.

Ginger. My neighbor claims you just put a knob in soil and it will root; not looking good so far, but....

IMG_20200621_153952884_HDR.jpg

0 Kudos

I'm trying to re-grow Romaine lettuce and celery.Regrowing Romaine and celery from ends.Regrowing Romaine and celery from ends.

Regular Contributor

I am taking an avocado seed to start growing a plant.5951384F-805F-4939-A44A-3416CE29D670.jpeg

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Scattered pepper seeds to see what would grow.

Sweet PeppersSweet Peppers

Super Contributor

Window sill gardening with left over seeds from last summer.Lemon TreeLemon Tree

Periodic Contributor

Backyard peachesBackyard peaches
I love homegrown peaches!  I'm now trying to grow more, from our peach scraps (pits). ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I like to have the Mealโ€™s they healthy meals that you have please send me the healthy meals please I am disabled and I would like to have the helping us deliver to me.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I make spaghetti bolognese but scrap half the pasta and use either chopped cauliflower or long thin green beans; if you add plenty of sauce and seasonings it tastes wonderful. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Lemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake made with Greek YogurtLemon Rosemary Olive Oil Cake made with Greek Yogurt

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The same can be done with Romaine lettuce. You can see the growth in a few days.

Regular Contributor

This salad is my go to when I'm too busy

to cook: Lettuce,chicken cubes, sesame seeds,Artisan Kraut & dressing & chips  YummyYummy   

Boddy C
0 Kudos
Contributor

sauerkraut is one of the best foods you can eat.

Ginger is easy to grow in a container and so are potatoes. Both have eyes that make it easy to plant after the water roots have been established.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP