There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 191 of 295

AARP does nothing except ask for donations...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 192 of 295

I agree... all they want is money to pay their execs... I'm really disappointed in AARP... I have the perfect case for discrimination and they haven't even reached out to me... It's all about the money...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 193 of 295

@JulieK260428 wrote:
>AARP has still a lot more work to do.

With all due respect toward what AARP does well, I completely agree with you. On the matter of age discrimination, AARP should be out there like the NRA fights for gun enthusiasts. I just don't see that happening at this time.

I wish I could see/know what AARP's top priorities are somewhere. As in statement of purpose followed by internal list of exactly, specifically what it's spending its time and budget on.

Rights enthusiast who march, protest, rant and rave, seek media attention to matters by their voice and actions, etc. only give one side of the issue - the other side does their own of the same sometimes.  They don't actually fix anything, they just get possible attention.  Any actual fix is done in the Courts.

The AARP Foundation - Legal Advocacy supports cases in Courts at all levels to change laws which meet their advocacy positions.

AARP Foundation - Legal Advocay - Litigation - Our Work

It is a long process and sometimes it is not very clear as to what is the right way because the decision involves weighing the right/wrong from each side involved in an issue but that is our form of governing.  Laws and rules made to support these laws and the actual interpretation of them have to be measured from both sides - that 's why we have Court cases of every type, criminal and civil.

Again, it is in the Court hierarchy where the battles are won and lost - the issues move up in the Courts, getting a conclusion at some point or ending at the SCOTUS if they decide to take the case.  You can follow all of these cases at the above AARP Foundation - Legal Advocacy link.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 194 of 295

Violence in the workplace?  Repeating yourself over & over is "violence"?  Something is missing here.  Please help me understand this. Tks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 195 of 295
>AARP has still a lot more work to do.

With all due respect toward what AARP does well, I completely agree with you. On the matter of age discrimination, AARP should be out there like the NRA fights for gun enthusiasts. I just don't see that happening at this time.

I wish I could see/know what AARP's top priorities are somewhere. As in statement of purpose followed by internal list of exactly, specifically what it's spending its time and budget on.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 196 of 295

@RonMesnard wrote:

@GailL1, thanks for all the good info!

The employer in the 7th Circuit case said its seven-year experience cap for an attorney position was necessary, as someone with more experience would be dissatisfied with less-complex duties.

How do they know that a person with 6 years will be more satisfied with boring work than 8 years experiance?  I am sure it is a factor but not likly it is the most important factor.

Think you might be trying to simplify a law - ha, ha , ha - the two words don't even belong in the same sentence.  You see something one way and another sees it different.

It is much more complicated than just this, although their reasoning does have to have at least some basis.  Here is the EEOC FAQ page on Questions and Answers on EEOC Final Rule on Disparate Impact and "Reasonable Factors Other Than Age"...

This is a very interesting read and interprets the ADEA in more practical terms as to what it was for and who it protects - describing both the employer resposibilities in fairness and consistency  and employee protections.

What will most likely go before the SCOTUS are the many details discussed in this EEOC FAQ especially determining if an (outside) job applicant has standing here - the law really wasn't written for them -  (outside) job applicants - at least that seems to be much of the discussion in these (2) cases.

Much of the issue between these (2) cases involve what is called "disparate Impact" - defined legally as:  A theory of liability that prohibits an employer from using a facially neutral employment practice that has an unjustified adverse impact on members of a protected class. A facially neutral employment practice is one that does not appear to be discriminatory on its face; rather it is one that is discriminatory in its application or effect.

read much more here:  https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Disparate+Impact

I am a novice but as I interpret it - 1st the (2) cases differ in the "WHO" -

• Do ( outside) job applicants, in this case, have the same standing as a current employee who might be applying for the same job, relative to tyhe ADEA.
  • OR, in this case, is an (outside) job applicant considered to be a protected class relative to the ADEA. 

Then is there a basis for RFOA - Reasonable Factor Other than Age - which the EEOC discusses. at the same link.

Read the EEOC FAQ link for Disparate Impact and "Reasonable Factors Other Than Age" Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 and then see if you can answer your own question - think it starts about question #8 describing employment practices and how they are measured in this regards. 

Ain't Law Grand - Simple, NO WAY ? ! ? ! ????

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 197 of 295

@GailL1, thanks for all the good info!

The employer in the 7th Circuit case said its seven-year experience cap for an attorney position was necessary, as someone with more experience would be dissatisfied with less-complex duties.

How do they know that a person with 6 years will be more satisfied with boring work than 8 years experiance?  I am sure it is a factor but not likly it is the most important factor.

How doH

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 198 of 295

@JulieK260428,

I will do this in at least 2 posts since I will need to put something together. I will try to impart as much as I know to you and other struggling persons. There is nothing more frustrating and hurtful as job hunting when you are over the hill. It gave me a little appreciation of what blacks went through not so many years ago. You should get 2 people you know to hold a mock interview and one of the two records a video of you interviewing.

#1 Both my state and county have job hunt courses. The states are far better than our county. I took all the courses I felt might help me. The county had an interview class. We held mock interviews and the class and the leader made comments. The leader usually pointed out body language mistakes. I read as over confide3nt so I was told to sit on the edge of my seat to minimize some of that language. For my position cocky and confident are signs of success but I may come off as too cocky.

You want to research how to interview I used all that showed up in a Google search then made a master list of what/not to do. I review that and my resume at the beginning or usually at the end of a work cycle. I usually worked short contracts. They are easier to get. I start gearing up in my last month or so when I do hit the road my tires are squealing rubber. You are the hottest the first few months out of work.

https://www.livecareer.com/career/advice/interview/job-interview-tips

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-ultimate-interview-guide-30-prep-tips-for-job-interview-success

https://zety.com/blog/interview-tips

I rarely know any of the interviewers beforehand except for my contact that I usually got from the head hunter the day of so you really don’t have time to research them. I never saw that as a problem.

I have 45 pages of technical questions they might ask. I pour over the question for days before the interviewe. If I head a new one I add it to my list before I leave the parking lot. I will share with you may list of questions I might ask them because they are not position specific.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 199 of 295
Did the EVER work for you? That NEVER worked for me.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 200 of 295

Has that EVER worked for you?  It never worked for me. Neither did making trouble.  Then I just started to bold face lie.  That worked pretty well. I didn't always get the job but I ALLWAYS got an interview. Interview practice is an end goal especially when you do heavy analysis of the interview process.  What work the best, well and not so well. These are then added to my notes. What failed me in an interview a decade ago helped me land a current job because I didn't repete that mistake. 

Kudos
Views