Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Social Butterfly

Re: Age Discrimination in Job Search and the Workplace

Message 1 of 72

@m379305h, what are you responding too?  @perryj165369 should be able to hit them with a ton of bricks not the other way around. She just can't back down.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 72
Yes ; I habeen through it. The truth alwys hit them like a ton of bricks. When you have followed all procedures. Young workers come in , and they want to change everything.
Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 72

Try to prepare notes.  I doubt that the other side will have notes.  This would be for example on 12/15/2017 at 2 :245 PM 'Joe Blow' said "what ever."   This will be the most damming.  As long as you get it close to right they are going to believe you because you wrote it all down.  You can take time to organize your thoughts in a confortable place with all the time in the world while the others will be scrabmling under extreme pressure.  Your testamony will hit them like a freight train.   The commission will see they are trying to make something up to counter your notes.  They have seen it all before. 

Good luck!

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 72

There is a union, but I wasn't a member. I'm preparing to go through a hearing before the Public Employee Relations Commission at the end of the month. This will be the first agency outside of the one I was in for the appeal process. I don't see anyway I can lose. They did not follow procedure and the damage they've done to me may be irrepairable.

I don't want to, but I'll go through the federal EEOC if I have to.

Thanks!

Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 72

@perryj165369, this happens all the time.  Did you have a union?  That is a good time to be a union member.  If you are fired in Maryland you must go in front of the labor board to review your case before you can get unemployment.  Maryland has a lot less of this crap.  You would have likely gotten some satisfaction.  You might have gotten your job back plus payment for your time off.  The more common your agency has come to the attention of the labor board the greater your satisfaction is. They punish the company responsible then give the benifit to the employee wrongfully fired.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 72

At 63, I applied for a promotion to a supervisory position within a state agency a couple years ago. At the time, I also had a severely arthritic hip that needed replaced, and had to walk with a cane. I didn't get the position and was OK with it. When I asked if another person that I knew had applied for the postion was selected, the hiring manager said, "no, he wasn't a fit for our team" and told me the name of the person that was selected. After introducing the new supervisor, they terminated the person after one day for falsifying his application. A few weeks later the hiring manager again called me into her office, telling me I wasn't selected. She told me the person she selected was the one I had asked about during the initial selection. I then mistakenly asked her about previously saying he "wasn't a fit for our team" and how he now became a fit. She became very defensive and stated she had him in for another interview. I inquired why I wasn't afforded another interview and what were wrong with my qualifications. I had over 25 years experience in IT and even my first review when I had when I worked under this hiring manager stated I was the best ever to hold that position in the history of the district. She became very defensive and ultimately said it was her decision.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I received a surprise written reprimand within 3 weeks. The manager almost quit all communication with me except to "correct" me. I was ordered to stop developing a test environment per the project plan and made to given unrealistic estimates of when it would be ready for production. Team members were told not to come to me as a resource because I was "too busy" effectively ostracizing me. Work that I had loved became a living hell but I kept telling myself I was only a short while from full retirement.

I was again given a written reprimand, in which one of the charges was overturned because it plainly wasn't true and the other two charges were false also, but I couldn't prove them in grievance. One of the other charges was for being late returnng from my morning break because it took me too long to used the elevator to go downstairs, get a snack in the breakroom, maybe use the bathroom on some days and filling my coffee cup up within 15 minutes from my seat and back. No one else was even being monitored on their breaks. They were just trying to make me miserable and were succeeding.

Within a month after returning from my hip replacement surgery, I was again called into the supervisors office and this time I had a panic attack when being accused. I guess after not being allowed to explain myself, I just started repeating, "OK, it's me, can I leave now" over and over. They finally called HR to come where I left with the HR person and had enough and asked her to help me fill out a discrimination and retaliation complaint. A week later I was terminated for violence in the workplace... I just couldn't make that last year though and had to retire and 65, losing $100 a month for however long I live...Great memories....

Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 72

Joe @j534550f, you are not the first to have that trick played on you.  Lie!  You graduated HS in 1980 or later.  I would say go to resumerabbit and get a resume writer to re-write your resume.  I am not a huge fan of resumerabbit.  They put your resume out to over 87 different job search sites. This gives you huge visability.  I know persons who averaged over 100 hrs a week and I averaged over 80 hrs for my first and hardest job hunt.  After I stared using time saving devices I was able to drop down to 10-15 hrs and have more leads.    Resumerabbit has a staff or resume writers.  I don't know if they are employees or contractors.  The big deal is someone who knows a lot more about resume writting than you vetted these writers.  They may not be the best but you could do lots worse and any writer will make a better resume than yours. 

Without a great resume you will get no leads because no one wants you.

Before it is written then you need to research 'key words'.  A computer will reduce a stack of 1,000 resumes to 100 - 20. This is done by key word analysis You need to highlight the key words for 20 job adds for positions you think you would be good at.  You need to fit those key words into your resume if you can. You can't help that you are lacking a hot skill but you are a loser to not get valid key words on your resume.  Joe no one wants a loser these days!   Then let the resume writer make your resume attractive.  They ought to know key words when they see them and not mess with those.  They must be an exact match for the computer to find them.  The winners have the most matches.  If 2 jobs have the same key woords list them in both jobs.  Usually you get points for each occurance.  Don't limit your resume to 2 pages.  That is for losers who like to follow rules.  I only have one rule win. My 4 page resume has more key words than a 2 page resume.  It is easily scanable and not cramped so the length is never an issue.  No one reads every word on a resume.  They only read what is important to them.  I posted a piece of my resume on one of these discussions.  It think it was how to find a job as a senior. It was work getting my resume into something redily undestandable to someone not in my business so I am not going to do that again.  There are plenty of tips in that discussion.  Knolledge is power!

You really need to be reading blogs about what to do and not to do during job hunting.  These rules change from year to year.  They want to weed out the poorly informed.  Lucky for you most may be better qualified than you but their resume landed in the trash not yours.  In this day and age knowing how to play the game is more important than qualifications.  That is sick but we live in a very sick society.

The person you are talking to on the first call in responce to your application is a no body.  The first few calls are all gate keepers their job is to get rid of junk.  Old people stupid enough to admit that are junk.  Once you actually talk to a person who cares about filling the position with the best possible canidatye might concider a whily old fox.  One who has the smarts and expeiance to get the job done correctly.  The job is to get the job.  That is how you must see it if you expect to get one.  Granted, ALL the cards are stacked against you.  If you aren't prepared to do what ever it takes just retire gracefully becuase job hunting takes lot of time and energy.  Most of the time you will not be hired even if you were the best canidate.  At one job the profect manager reviewed all the resumes, picked who would be interviewed and sat in on all the interviews.  She told me right after the interview that my interview was a home run only one other canidate even came close and assumed I would be working for her but the clients made the decision to hire that other person.  At one point there was an issue maybe they were getting hit up for more money or something and they made sure I was still interested.  It wasn't that there was anything other than my age that they objected to.  You will see more of that than the ones that actually want the best they can get dispite age.  They joked about my age during my last interview.  I said I play hard ball and I do what it takes to get the job done right.  I said I wouldn't retire while the contract was in play.  I go the job.  This is my last.  I am good to retire (I have made my financial goal to retire over a year ago)  but I am good to my word.  I have gotten 6 jobs in my 60s.  5 were short term contracts this last is perment.  That is Gods trick on me.  I only wanterd a 6 month job so I got what might be a 5 year job.  I don't mind working but job hunting is a living hell after 60.   

Resume rabbit posts to over 87 job search sites 

A review for resume rabbit

http://jonathanmilligan.com/resume-rabbit/

Good luck Joe! (and anyone else reading this who needs a job)

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 72

Hello: I'm Joe was laid off from work ! 29 18  and went onto a few online sites to find other work. Twice i was told that such sites had job oppenings for me. But when I was asked what year I graduated High School and answered correctly in the year1970. They said I'm not qualified or I'm sorry and disconnected the call and hung up. Nothing more.

Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 72

@ResumeJane, I gave you a Kudo since you are one of the few who has a clue as to what is expcted in a resume for this topic.  The recruiter only wants to the top 20 out of the hundreds of resumes sent.  You can be the world's expert and because of a lacking resume, your resume was never read by a human. This is a god send for the medocre since they have a shot just by knowing how to play the game.  Seniors seem to be more resistant for learning how to play the game.  They second guess their would be bosses and never get an interview. So much for being 'too smart to fail'.

I would suggest having your resume written by an expert.  $200 is well spent here.  It will not be perfect but it will put you in a much better position. Once your resume is close you will get free advice from recruiters. I would look at a resume posting service like resume rabbit.  They will have resume writers who will re-write your resume who passed resume rabbit's scruteny.  The catch 22 is if you don't know much about what is in demand you don't know enough to pick a good one.

Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 72

I hate auto correct because usually I don't catch it.

I say if they don't like your advice because of some grammer errors they don't need to take it.  This reminds me of my favorite Chinese proverb.  Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from wise men.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors