Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Stimulus

Has anyone heard if people getting social security will be included in the stimulus?

Kathleen

As of 04/30/20 I have attempted 5 days straight to enter my bank account information into the IRS Get My Payment based on response recieved  from putting my SS#, address, etc... EACH TIME, the response has been the information entered does not match what they have on file, although it's the most recent information/totals provided by the IRS; talk about incompetence. To tell SSA/SSI recipients that they don't have to do anything to get the stimulus payment is just bad information. I had to file taxes although I recieve SSA because I also recieve a pension from the state, so my gross income requires me to file taxes, and although I have direct deposit for SSA, I still haven't recieved a stimulus check. Yes, I am laying it all out there because we are not being told the truth. If the IRS is getting the information they need from your SSA 1099, I will buy everyone a new car; not happening. The error message, " Information doesn't match what is on file" is the only message I keep getting although I check my IRS account every morning before imputting the data they ask for when attempting to enter my bank account information. More importantly, you are directed as to what to correct when putting in the information; it's a guessing game. I do not know anyone who recieves SSA/SSI who is retired or disabiled who has gotten a stimulus payment. I believe we are the very LAST to get these payments. AARP claims they are working with IRS? Okay, right. If that were so, why haven't most if any of us gotten a payment yet, or even given a date from the IRS when to expect them. Reality is NOONE really knows. Everyone knows that Trump cares nothing about and dislikes the SSA  and tried many times to slice up the program. I expect to get a payment sometime in September of this year as noone is in a hurry to make sure we are okay. AARPyou need to tell us the truth and do your job. IRS has done nothing to fix that system/program that some idiot created.

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the information, @GailL1. That's correct, the Internal Revenue Service announced that Social Security recipients will not be required to file a "simple" tax return in order to receive stimulus payments under the CARES Act.

I'm sharing the following article from AARP that may be of interest, Social Security Recipients to Get Stimulus Payments Without Filing Tax Returns.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Thing are changing so if you don't file a tax return each year you are going to want to look at this.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cat0w wrote:

Thing are changing so if you don't file a tax return each year you are going to want to look at this.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

Things continue to change or be clarified -

Yahoo Money News 04/02/2020 - Social Security recipients will get a stimulus check without filing ta... 

Social Security recipients won’t need to file a simplified tax return to receive their coronavirus relief check. Instead, their payment will be automatically deposited in their bank accounts, the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service clarified on Wednesday.

The announcement comes after the IRS posted a notice on its website on Monday, saying that some taxpayers who typically don’t file returns would need to file a simple tax return to get the payment.

. . . . The IRS instead will use the information they have from Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to determine a Social Security recipient’s eligibility for the stimulus check. It will also use the details provided there to send payment as a direct deposit or check, depending on they typically receive benefits.

read more at the link

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

If you are receiving Social Security benefits but didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you will be eligible to receive a stimulus check without a tax return based on data available to the IRS from your annual Social Security benefits statement. The government will send you a direct deposit or check using the information from your Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement or your Form RRB-1099 Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement. You will not have to file a 2019 tax return to get a stimulus check.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2020/coronavirus-stimulus-checks.html?cmp=EMC-DS...

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Remembering that the House has to still pass this bill, maybe looking at the bill will help answer everone's questions. See page 144, be sure to scroll to the middle of the page, if neccessary.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/20059055/final-final-cares-act.pdf

For Social Security see page 149. Also see P. 154 Line 23.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist
Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/do-you-qualify-for-a-stimulus-check-in-senates-coronavirus-response...

Once again Faux News gets it wrong. People on SSDI get checks. No help for SSI. Looking at Fox is not research. It's Trump Party Pravda.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

kb2064....Has anyone heard if people getting social security will be included in the stimulus?

It hasn't been passed yet so that is unknown. There are problems with the unemployment portion of the bill so even the Senate isn't sure if it will be passed. Initially social security recipients were supposedly included, after all they are taxpayers and the payment is to go to taxpayers.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

kb2064....Has anyone heard if people getting social security will be included in the stimulus?

It hasn't been passed yet so that is unknown. There are problems with the unemployment portion of the bill so even the Senate isn't sure if it will be passed. Initially social security recipients were supposedly included, after all they are taxpayers and the payment is to go to taxpayers.

I don't see anything specific to SS, but they are still kicking it around. Just have to wait and see.

See Sec. 2101. 2020 recovery rebates for individuals

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/s3548/text

Honored Social Butterfly

2 trillion in economic support, broken into:

- A $500 billion loan program for businesses and municipalities
- A huge expansion in unemployment insurance, that will also cover gig economy workers, freelancers, and furloughed workers
- $150 billion for hospitals to surge equipment and personnel
- $150 billion in aid to state and local governments, who're facing huge revenue shortfalls
- A one-time $1,200 check that would be sent to most adults making $75,000 or less annually, and $500 per child
- $367 billion in loans just for small businesses

Just read you don't have to deal with a RMD this year.    

Honored Social Butterfly

@kb2064 wrote:

Has anyone heard if people getting social security will be included in the stimulus?

No, perhaps they think that seniors do not work and they are getting SS and perhaps other pensions. so they don't need it.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

SS recipients will recieve stimilus payment. Thanks to those who posted links to the true facts and  ignored those who didn`t kinow but just initially gave their own personal opinion.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Roxanna35 posted..

No, perhaps they think that seniors do not work and they are getting SS and perhaps other pensions. so they don't need it.

===========================================================

I like many do not need the money. I saved. I do not work.

This should be for low income people on SS...using that I would qualify. If I get it it will go to the charities I give to every month.

That is the problem...some will get it when they do not need it...but how can they determine how needs it and who does not?

Kid
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Kid Boy posted -I like many do not need the money. I saved. I do not work.

This should be for low income people on SS...using that I would qualify. If I get it it will go to the charities I give to every month.

That is the problem...some will get it when they do not need it...but how can they determine how needs it and who does not?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I`m in a similar position as you. Grandson is getting married in June so I`m  prepare to be very generous with him and his bride with whatever I get.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Roxanna35 posted..

No, perhaps they think that seniors do not work and they are getting SS and perhaps other pensions. so they don't need it.

===========================================================

I like many do not need the money. I saved. I do not work.

That is the problem...some will get it when they do not need it...but how can they determine how needs it and who does not?

My bet is the qualifications for receiving the payments to individuals will get tightened up in the House, I hope via a sliding scale - up to say 150% of poverty you get everything in the Senate bill plus 10%. 150-350%, all in the \Senate version,  over 350%, 95% of Senate version. Need some data on numbers in each category to actually do this sensably, but you get the picture.

But the money would go much further and do more good if the Corporations who used their profits to buy back company stock any time after 29 Sept 2008 got nothing until all such stock had been sold to improve the companies cash position.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Latest on TV (not fox) is that there is a group of Reb. Senators who say they will not vote for he bill because it gives to much money to the people at the low end. Looks like they want benefits cut to the poor, but just the other day they were all for increasing more to the rich, and we just had a tax cut for the rich. True colors might be appearing of all for the top again. Lets see if Trump steps in and stops them. Time will tell.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP