Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Info Seeker

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 61 of 314

I am referring to the Medicare premiums increase of 57%. ! In my earlier post.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 62 of 314

What concerns me the most is the recent 57% !!! Rate increase in the monthly premium! I am astounded that this is even legal? I understand that increases are a fact of live, however, this level ofn crease is outrageous for seniors to absorb, especially since there was no increase for the cost of living index!  Is AARP tackling this issue?

Info Seeker

Message 63 of 314

My wife had ssi due to her disabilities but they kicked her out at 62 because I was retired and was recieving too much money from disability ss.

Living in Texas we are denied medicade due to our republican governor won't expand it . She found help with a county hospital district . It isn't insurance but a pay program that goes by income .We qualified but since I am 65 I chose to use outside doctors with my medicare program.

My wife worked all of her life and paid taxes and this is how our government treats her when she needs help . Something has to give in the future or older Americans will do without proper care and die early .

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 314

"...SSI is totally un-funded...".

SSI is supplemental security income, dispensed under SS. You only get this if disabled and a number of other requirements. You can't take it at 62 unless you fulfill other requirements.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Conversationalist

Message 65 of 314

SSI is totally un-funded, Collect what you can at the earliest age you can. It will run out. Maybe more sooner than later. I worked for 40 years, I would like to think that they saved enough to pay me back, they did not. Collect what ever you can for as long as you can. Sorry to break the news you already know. This is the real world, and there is no lock box on what you paid in. It was already spent before you paid in. Get out as much as possible as soon as you can. You get more at 70? what a load of crap. if it came down to it, they would hunt you down and kill you. (Chester the horse) do you get it? Something is very wrong, going on right now. Get what's left of the money ASAP. Collect at 62, keep paying in while still working. Don't plan on a check every month. 3 years tops It will be over. Just collect as early as you can, the system is bankrupt. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 66 of 314

Reply to rr49933996: Are you able to post a link to where you obtained your information about, Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit.

I believe this is the amount I chose to have held out of my Social Security each month, however, so far I have gotten back most of this at the end of the year when I file my income taxes, on my total income.

My sister because of her total income has nothing withheld but, pays no income taxes, doesn't even have to file a return.

I live in Texas, she lives in Alabama.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

GodBlessUSA

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 67 of 314

"In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security................ Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit......."

Thank you from bottem of my haert for possting this warning!

This is truely shockeing infermotion.   Was thinking of mooving myself to Aloha state for retirement.   Glad I sawed this post,  whew

there is truely nothing more serious  than loosing one's lively hood.   Just pondering such event gives me the Willys,  doesn't you? 

Think it might be feelsable  -  just an idea -  rent a large fleet of busses to transport these tens of people to Wash DC so they could lobby Congress? 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 68 of 314

."... A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away!....".

Of course it blew you away. The number is around 600,000.  60 mil would be close to 20% of the entire country.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Info Seeker

Message 69 of 314

I am wondering what AARP and us citizens can do to stop the taking of our hard earned monies and entitlement to SSDI and SSI. I can do none else but pray to my Father in heaven (the Lord Jesus Christ)...that he will continue to provide for us in some manner. If push comes to shove; I am going to try and get support from a Christian source in the near future.

I really believe that people who are not living on a low income scale have nothing to complain about if they are able to pay their bills and have some money left over to do as they want with. When I hear of those who worry about losing their Social Security benefits who are only worried about paying thousands of dollars for their children to go to college, and can afford to live without their SS benefits when they are not disabled, nor don't lack a means of support; that really gets to me. And if people would just open their hearts and give to those in need; we would not feel like orphans with no one to help us.

Because of all that is going on in politics; I have decided not to vote. I find it hard to believe that any president, any senate, and congress can correct the damage done already in our nation. A few years back I was on a Catholic website where I read there were 60 million homeless people in our nation. That blew me away! It is time for us American citizens to care more about other people. I, myself, have allowed homeless individuals to stay in my home. One of them ended up getting back on her feet and got a job. She had only lived with me for two weeks, already had a job and lined up a place for her to stay. What I won't allow as far as someone that is homeless is someone who just wants me to buy them a twelve pack of beer, chain smoke, and watch T.V. most of the day. Here I was homeless myself, staying in a motel room, and running out of money, and this guy had not even tried to make any plans to help himself. He had a cell phone, and finally called to see if a family member would help him. They would not. I wonder why?

There is too much apathy going around, and people need to know that someone cares about them. But don't expect me to help you if you just want a free ride and want to spend any money you get from me on alcohol and cigarettes. I am a smoker myself, but food is one of the first things on my list. If I can't afford to pay for my food; I have no business smoking.

We need to stop judging people for being homeless and simply help them. If you don't want to take them into your home; give them some information about where they can go to get help, and even offer to give them a ride. These people do alot of walking and would really appreciate it. The shelters are overcrowded and you would think that someone would use one of these hotels to give these poor people a place to stay and some privacy. One person can make a difference if they own property, etc.    Well, I've said enough. May the Lord help us all, and may we do what he wants and not what we want.

Info Seeker

Message 70 of 314
In the state of Hawaii there is a big problem in the making that is putting the lively hood of tens of people receiving social security. The 3 thousand or more that the IRS taxes social security benefits each year. With rental cost getting higher each year and insurance costs going up in 2016 seniors are having a hard time finding the money to pay the daily cost of living. The cost of getting old is not cheap. Seniors are taxed 25% or more on their benefit. The said part is while they were working they were paying tax on what went to social security by way of the pay role tax. No the government taxes the same money again when they need it the most. I don't understand why this issue is not the most important issue AARP could take up. Yet AARP has not lifted a finger on something that effects millions of American's. It's a shame and AARP should take a stand and after congress to get social security benefits tax fixed in so way. Seniors need help on this issue.