Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 241 of 320
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
  Jan, It looks like the Republican leadership in Congress isn't going to compromise to help those who are struggling. The Republicans insist that we can afford to keep giving the wealthy tax breaks and loop holes, but we just can't afford to keep the current Social Security and Medicare benefits for our seniors, disabled, Veterans and progarms for our poor children. When does the greed and selfishness end ??? Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security :
Posted by mandm84

In order to bring in more revenues to Social Security and Medicare, I wonder why we don't pursue taxing those benefits that employees get in lieu of wages.  Like health insurance or other benefits that employers give without actually giving money as a salary - this is one of the greatest tax loopholes for businesses because they don't have to match the payroll tax contributions and the employees aren't paying income taxes nor their share of payroll taxes either.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 242 of 320
  Jan, It looks like the Republican leadership in Congress isn't going to compromise to help those who are struggling. The Republicans insist that we can afford to keep giving the wealthy tax breaks and loop holes, but we just can't afford to keep the current Social Security and Medicare benefits for our seniors, disabled, Veterans and progarms for our poor children. When does the greed and selfishness end ??? Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : The amount of funds going to SS has not changed. The general fund is transferring the 2% into the system.   President Obama knew that when the private sector was blowing up only government could provide the relief.  The republicans need to STOP  using the deficit as a phony excuse to gut our Social Security!'  IT  is one of the phoniest excuses ever invented.    QUOTE FROM IKE EISENHOWER "  Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history" The Republicans feel they just can not allow a government run program that succeeded to stand. It disproves their held position that government can do nothing well   . They will not be satisfied until they have killed these programs that have served the people so well.     We have seen them try to starve them to death or put incompetents in charge to prove their contention.     And they will never stop trying to erase this and other good government programs because they can not stand to be proven wrong.  
Posted by JANMB

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 243 of 320
 The Republicans or should I say the Tea Party Plutocrats of today like more government when it supports their agenda allowing the rich to get richer with cuts in benefits on the struggling backs of our lower & middle class workers, seniors, disabled, poor children and Veterans. Thats when more government is needed, to help the rich remain just that, while the rest fall behind. The Tea Party sure has been a blessing.Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : The amount of funds going to SS has not changed. The general fund is transferring the 2% into the system.   President Obama knew that when the private sector was blowing up only government could provide the relief.  The republicans need to STOP  using the deficit as a phony excuse to gut our Social Security!'  IT  is one of the phoniest excuses ever invented.    QUOTE FROM IKE EISENHOWER "  Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history" The Republicans feel they just can not allow a government run program that succeeded to stand. It disproves their held position that government can do nothing well   . They will not be satisfied until they have killed these programs that have served the people so well.     We have seen them try to starve them to death or put incompetents in charge to prove their contention.     And they will never stop trying to erase this and other good government programs because they can not stand to be proven wrong.  
Posted by JANMB

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 244 of 320
I have a question.  I recieve Social Security Disability Benefits. When i am of retirement age, will I only recieve my retiement benefit or will I recieve both? 
Posted by wrkman25

You will receive your retirement benefit at your full retirement age - I assume that will be 66 years old.
The Disability payment will stop at that time.
You can get Medicare benefits after you have been on Disability for 24 months unless you turn 65 before that time period is up.
* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 245 of 320
I have a question.  I recieve Social Security Disability Benefits. When i am of retirement age, will I only recieve my retiement benefit or will I recieve both? 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 246 of 320
In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many  Social Security myths  are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

The amount the part B is going to increase in the next two to three years.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 247 of 320
My greatest fear is that the independent voters will believe the Republican propaganda and vote to privatise Social Security.  This will increase the cost and decrease the money available to those who need it the most.  Every one on Social Secupity KNOWS every time our COLA is re-assesed we get even less than what the cost of living actually is.  If they (The Republicans) were really concerned, medication would be figured into the COLA. As it is, I cannot afford to have a car, eat out, go to a show, or travle outside of my bike riding rainge.  When my arthritus gets too bad to ride a bike anymore, I'll hobble down to Republican headquarters and set myself on fire.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 248 of 320
That I won't be able to get it!  I worked in the business sector for 10 years, but also taught school for 28 years.  Seems if you are a teacher when you retire, you are out of luck????????????  I need to know how to approach the social security office when I apply.  Do I need to apply at 62 or wait until 66?  Will I be able to draw what my earnings reports from the social security office say I will?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 249 of 320
In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many  Social Security myths  are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller
Lack of knowledge about SS.  It is a political issue and each side says what supports thier position at the time.  Lots of mis information and no one in congress states all the facts.  My fear is that the public who controls the votes will support the person who addresses their immediate concern without regard to all the other positions.  Also, once something is put in writing a lot of people take it as gospel truth and nothing can change their minds.  The other thing is that in the end the solution that will be decided upon will be to get rid of SS by doing nothing. It along with Medicare needs to be adjusted so that future generations who need it can get it.  Things I think need to be done is  Payment in payroll taxes have no limit,  Your income at time of retirement determines amount you get.  AS for disability insurance there should be a time limit for determining eligiability.  My brother had to have his foot amputated last December.  He applied and is still waiting for decision on eligibility.  He has tried to find out where it stands but is ignored.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 250 of 320
In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : Stop believing everything you hear from the leftist media.  This is just garbage as any rational person would know if they took the time to actually check the facts.  
Posted by AbbyFred

You are saying that the NEW YORK TIMES is printing lies about Cain and Perry positions? Their positions came straight out of their books. Look it up. You need to check the facts. You need to wake up and open your eyes to what they are actually saying out loud every day and stop believing the garbage of Fox news.
Kudos
Views