Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Help !!!which benefit do I file for Teacher retirement or surviving spouse social secuirty benefit?

Contributor

Help !!!which benefit do I file for Teacher retirement or surviving spouse social secuirty benefit?

Hello My name is Stacie Daigle I work for the a public school in Louisiana as a food service worker for about three years now. My husband passed away in 2014 and my survivors benefit at or before retirement age will be significantly larger than what I would collect for TRS at retirement. My question is if I do not file for TRS when I file for survivor benefits will they still reduce my benefit just because they are aware of it or would you actually have to file for both for them to reduce your survivor benefit ? It seems that it would be wise to collect my widow benefits first than collect TRS after that would run out? This is real confusing could you please write back with some advice.

Thank you 
Stacie Daigle , confused widow in Louisiana 48 years of age
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@StacieD317806

If your state does NOT collect and pay Social Security taxes on your school system wages- some do, some don't, then your Surviving Spouse Social Security benefit will be reduced by the Social Security Government Pension Offset.

However there is more that could also affect your Surviving Spouse benefit even before the GPO.

• If you file at 60 (or at anytime before your full retirement age) for your Surviving Spouse Benefit - it will be reduced because you are filing early. 
  • if you continue to work after filing for your Surviving Spouse benefit and you are less than full retirement age, depending upon how much you will be making at the time, the benefit may be reduced.  https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

Then when you begin to draw your (government) pension - Your Surviving Spouse SS benefit will be recalculated with retirement (meaning not working, whatever that age happens to be, early or up to 70 years old)) and reduced by 2/3rds of whatever SS Surviving Spouse benefit amount you are then going to receive at that time.  It will work opposite to this FAQ answered by an AARP expert on the GPO portion..  https://www.aarp.org/work/social-security/question-and-answer/government-pension-is-suspended-or-red...

It complicates matters more if you have any other employment where you did pay into the SS system on your own record.   I believe you said in your 1st post on the Social Security Board that you had only been working for the school system for 3-years. 

You are going to have to consult with the Social Security Administration - but you are only 48 now so there is no rush.   Figures like earnings change every year, reduced amounts will change depending upon at what age you file for the Surviving Spouse benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@StacieD317806

Do you have any minor children (less than 16, I think) or dependents that are between you and your late husband who are in your care?

If you don't, and you are only 48 years old, then a lot might change between now and when you are 60 years old and can file for a Widows (Surviving Spouse) SS Benefit on your late husbands record. 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

No, my sons are 22 and 18. my youngest son collects social security benefits till he is 19 but my question is can I file for my survivor benefit at 60 and choose not to file for teachers retirement till I have to that is  If and when my survivor benefit would ever run out. Or Is that not allowed by social security, once you file you have to decide it has to be one or the other ?

Thank you 

still confused

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP