Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Wife Retires Before Husband

My wife has retired from her work at 60, and she wants to collect social security at 62. I will not be able to retire until turning 66, when I have the option to take full retirement from social security.

What is the best option financially for both of us concerning with social security?

If my wife retires at 62 and draws from my SS; will my SS be less?

Looking for some direction,

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@mikez17811  Have you both visited the Social Security web site and created an account?  https://www.ssa.gov/

Be sure to check out FAQs. The below article was last modified on (Last Modified: โ€ŽMayโ€Ž โ€Ž18โ€Ž, โ€Ž2018)

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02011

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

SSA.gov - Benefits Planner - Retirement / Benefits for Your Spouse

Your wife will not be able to get a Spousal benefit based on your work record UNTIL you retire and begin to draw your own benefit.  The law was changed back in 2015 so you can no longer file and suspend for her to get a spousal benefit.  

She can, at age 62, file on her own record and receive benefits based on her own record - reduced, of course, because she is filing early.

When you retire, she can then revisit her options and see which benefit gives her the best value - continuing her own benefit or the spousal benefit.

No, your benefit is not reduced by a spousal benefit - in fact, you could have several ex-wives who were married to you for at least 10-years and if they meet the eligibility criteria, could also be drawing a (divorced ) spousal benefit - but you still have to be drawing a benefit for any of them to file for a spousal benefit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

Stacie Daigle <stacie.daigle@eagles.usm.edu>

Hello My name is Stacie Daigle I work for the a public school in Louisiana as a food service worker for about three years now. My husband passed away in 2014 and my survivors benefit at or before retirement age will be significantly larger than what I would collect for TRS at retirement. My question is if I do not file for TRS when I file for survivor benefits will they still reduce my benefit just because they are aware of it or would you actually have to file for both for them to reduce your survivor benefit ? It seems that it would be wise to collect my widow benefits first than collect TRS after that would run out? This is real confusing could you please write back with some advice.

Thank you 
Stacie Daigle , confused widow in Louisiana 48 years of age
0 Kudos
Contributor

Stacie Daigle <stacie.daigle@eagles.usm.edu>

Hello My name is Stacie Daigle I work for the a public school in Louisiana as a food service worker for about three years now. My husband passed away in 2014 and my survivors benefit at or before retirement age will be significantly larger than what I would collect for TRS at retirement. My question is if I do not file for TRS when I file for survivor benefits will they still reduce my benefit just because they are aware of it or would you actually have to file for both for them to reduce your survivor benefit ? It seems that it would be wise to collect my widow benefits first than collect TRS after that would run out? This is real confusing could you please write back with some advice.

Thank you 
Stacie Daigle , confused widow in Louisiana 48 years of age
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP