Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Social Security online application

My desire is to wait until I turn 66 (my fullretirement age) to collect Social Security (SS) payments. My birthdate is Feb 14, 1953. So full retirement time is approaching.

I started to build the online application but it appeared that I was locking in today's date as my application date!? Which---- I'm afraid could be interpreted as an EARLY RETIREMENT request-- which I do not want!

So--- when should I build the application--- I want to be sure I receive my 'Full Retirement Benefit', but I don't want to miss those first few months of payments!

Thank you very much----  Rick

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@RickL324241 wrote:

My desire is to wait until I turn 66 (my fullretirement age) to collect Social Security (SS) payments. My birthdate is Feb 14, 1953. So full retirement time is approaching.

I started to build the online application but it appeared that I was locking in today's date as my application date!? Which---- I'm afraid could be interpreted as an EARLY RETIREMENT request-- which I do not want!

So--- when should I build the application--- I want to be sure I receive my 'Full Retirement Benefit', but I don't want to miss those first few months of payments!

Thank you very much----  Rick

About (3) months before you want your benefits to begin - no more than (4) months - you will get a confirmation online and your letter of confirmation can be accessed via your MySocialSecurity account. - remember the benefit is paid one month in arrears. So you would get your 1st payment in March 2019 as long as your filing is within this 3 - 4 month before period.. 

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1943.html

SSA 2018 - What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP