Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Your Favorite Musical Artists of the 80s

Retired Community Manager

Your Favorite Musical Artists of the 80s

Who were some of your favorite musical artists of the 80s? Michael Jackson? Madonna? Whitney Houston? Prince? Share a memory of listening to your favorite.

Contributor

George Michael 

Silver Conversationalist

Welcome to the community. Enjoy!!! 🙂

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

The 80's were a largely exploratory period:

Even though I was introduced to Zydeco as a child, I didn't start exploring it until the 80's...Clifton Chenier, Nathan and The Zydeco Cha Cha's, Stanley Dural Jr. (A.k.a. Buckwheat Zydeco), Rosie Ledet...many more.

And then there was the other stuff:

Adrian Belew and King Crimson,

Shadowfax

Tom Coster

Three of my favorite Jean Luc Ponty albums were released in the 80's

and then there were The Smiths, Minutemen and Marshall Crenshaw

Honored Social Butterfly

One of many 80's favs...

♡ The Danse Society - Say It Again  ♡

TDS SIA.jpg

Silver Conversationalist

Maybe out of place here but Alabama

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m a fan! 😊

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Social Butterfly

Ok, way to many to list. If ya give me two, I will take:

Tom Petty

Rush

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The Police 

Super Contributor

Leon Redbone

Prince Madonna Frankie Goes to Hollywood Boy George.

I used to dress like Madonna in my club hopping days of the 80s

0 Kudos
Contributor

OH SO MANY!! The 80’s: My Forever Fave Decade for Bands/Tunes..& Definitely Greatly Missed Videos.. Pft, Well, Just being able to turn on the RADIO and hear REAL MUSIC.

Firstly, There’s ROD (who transcends decades). There’s: Tom Petty, David Bowie, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, U2, INXS, Cheap Trick, Blondie, Simple Minds, Big Country, Billy Idol, (True) Van Halen, Roxy Music, Cyndi Lauper.. Soo Many!!

Social Butterfly

How bout doing this for the 50's?

0 Kudos
Contributor

MTV  music videos were the best!

Contributor

The REAL MTV.. when actual MUSIC/Music Videos were played! 

EC3782BA-6BA5-4AA1-B6DD-4F89DACF1776.jpeg

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

John Cougar/John Cougar Mellencamp/John Mellencamp

Cyndi Lauper

Contributor

Oh WOW, I have so MANY!  EWF, Gap Band, Parliament Funkadelic, Lakeside, Dazz Band, Zap, One Way, SOS Band, Midnight Star, Atlantic Star, Con Funk Shon...

The Whispers too.  I know this group was from the 70's but they did songs in the 80's and that was Earth, Wind and Fire.

Awesome groups and the best dancing music.

Bronze Conversationalist

Chicago, INXS, and Duran Duran were my top three bands of the 80's. Listening to anything by Chicago, songs like "Notorious" by Duran Duran, and songs like "What You Need" by INXS, along with many more of their hits, were the sounds of the 80's for me. I still love hearing them!

Bronze Conversationalist

While I had to listen to some of the ‘80s music where I worked from November 1980 forward, I bought myself a personal cassette player and listened to Beach Boys and several others to help drown out the piped in stuff on our company’s PA system.

One night would be tuned to the then current rock and the next would be a country station, which I did enjoy, sometimes, and usually more than the rock station.

I always loved Dolly Parton, sometimes Kenny Rogers, and others on the country and cross-over charts, along with John Denver. I even managed to get used to and even enjoy some of the ‘80s rock with Blondie, Kim Carnes, Eddie Rabbitt, Madonna, and even a tune or two by Boy George and Elton John, and so on, from the year-plus that I worked in that department.

Stay well and enjoy!
-Lynn

Bronze Conversationalist

Hi Lynne  I love the music of the 50s 60s and 70s but the 80s had alot of groups I listen to. Among my favorites were SHA-NA-NA  The BeeGees and ABBA.  My girlfriend at the time tried to teach me how to dance what a disaster that was. I lost my balance tripped a cocktail waitress I was immediately was tossed from the club told never to come back. I was accused of being drunk  but I don't drink never have.  Then I lost my girlfriend to the disco duck at the club. Come to think of it I really hate the 80s

that's cute, so funny Gary T...

Regular Social Butterfly

Have to dispute @tinyrey Queen was astronomical mid- to late-70s, not 80s... (but agree, Freddy was the BEST ever!).

80s I have to go with Mötley Crüe and Nirvana (with a little Jimmy Buffett on the side) 😉

Being flower child I have to write not impressed with the disco gogo pop trends of the 80s, but there were some high points...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Periodic Contributor

Springsteen, Dire Straits and Queen. Freddie Mercury was the best frontman ever, hands down!!

Regular Contributor

Hey Lynne, I rocked to Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, and The Boss!

Honored Social Butterfly

Tom Petty. When “Full Moon Fever” came out,

I think I listened night and day. Another rocker

gone too soon 😢

From the early to late 80s I enjoyed AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and others.  I'm still a metalhead.

Contributor

Simple Minds, Thompson Twins, Peter Gabriel, INXS, Depeche Mode, Thomas Dolby, Dire Straits, and Echo and the Bunnymen. I'm still a die hard Peter Gabriel and Mark Knopfler fan.

I'd have to go with U2, The Police and Michael Jackson (not the Jackson Five of the previous decade!)

Trusted Contributor

my favorites are John Denver, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Loretta Lynn, & a host of others of country but my all time favorite is Mr. Denver.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP