Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Songs Could Go on a Cross-Generational Playlist?

Retired Community Manager

What Songs Could Go on a Cross-Generational Playlist?

Today’s high schoolers and their grownup counterparts reminisce with lyrics and try to sing favorite songs. What music do teens and parents have in common? Lady Gaga? Boyz II Men? “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”?

What songs could go on a cross-generational playlist?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Let It Be - The Beatles

This song charted for the second time in 2021 coming in at #5    on the Billboard 200. It was #1 in 1970. The Beatles had over 1 Million in record sales in 2020 making them #1 that year. They were #2 in vinyl sales for 2021. Queen is another band whose album sales also reach the top 5 in recent years. Good music will always be timeless.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Social Butterfly

Folks who are Speed Metal enthusiasts might be surprised to find out that Uriah Heap's Look At Yourself was released in 1971.

On the whole, though, music is timeless so most songs have at least a chance of being cross-generational.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I would have to say that any songs from The Eagles and of course Bob Seger!!

Social Butterfly

"American Pie"  by Don McLean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ecvBaqHBk

0 Kudos
Contributor

You've Got A Friend by James Taylor
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

0 Kudos

Yesterday

Lean On Me

White Christmas 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This song is not an oldie but I feel should be on the list, Cold Little Heart by Michael Kiwanuka (theme song for Big Little Lies).

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is an absolutely great song. I gave it 5 stars on first listen in my iTunes library and shared it with my daughters ages 23-39.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@s474823g wrote:

This song is not an oldie but I feel should be on the list, Cold Little Heart by Michael Kiwanuka (theme song for Big Little Lies).

That's a good choice! I looked it up on YT and the video has over 62 million views!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOubjLM9Cbc

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't listen to a lot of "newer" music, but there are some songs from the 2000's that I've enjoyed listening to -

Craving 

Hold Back the River

and others by James Bay

Rumour Has It

Set Fire to the Rain

Rolling in the Deep

and others by Adele

Wake Me Up - Aloe Blacc & Avicci

Viva La Vida - Coldplay

Million Reasons - Lady Gaga

0 Kudos

When I'm 64

New York, New York

Stand By Me

0 Kudos
Contributor

A Pirate looks at 40Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor

YMCA.

0 Kudos
Contributor

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

0 Kudos
Contributor

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. I think it's more popular now than when he first sang it! The fans all sing it after our college team wins.

Rachel

Whoops! I accidentally posted this message twice.

Honored Social Butterfly

@r473273l wrote:

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. I think it's more popular now than when he first sang it! The fans all sing it after our college team wins.

Rachel

Whoops! I accidentally posted this message twice.

I agree, it's a fantastic sing-along-song for all ages. Neil Diamond's songs are timeless classics for everyone to enjoy. 

There's a Neil Diamond musical biography under development for Broadway.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-diamond-musical-broadway-853994/

0 Kudos
Contributor

A Boy Named Sue. Johnny Cash.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My five year old grandson loves Another One Bites the Dust and Fat Bottom Girls by Queen.  I think most of their music would be cross-generational.  

Contributor

I went back to college and finished my degree in my late 40's during the 2000's. The students back then were quite taken with Miles Davis, Carlos Santana, et al. However, one young man insisted that The Beatles were a back-up band for Paul McCartney and Wings. To say I was annoyed is gross understatement.

K

Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

when I was 13 I discovered The Beatles and always had my transistor radio on. When my oldest daughter turned 13 she started with all the 90s groups...in high school her Art teacher introduced her to The Beatles and she listened to their music...My youngest daughter listened to the rap music of the early 2000s groups...I happened to be listening to The Beatles at home and she asked who I was listening too and replied The Beatles...She became a fan of the early Beatle love songs..My daughters enjoy country music, R and B Oldies, also late 60s and 70s artists plus their own generations music.

Contributor

So Rare by Jimmy Dorsey.  It came out while Elvis Presley and Bill Haley were big hits.  We teenagers loved it too. 

0 Kudos

What’s going on, Marvin Gaye

Imagine, The Beatles 

0 Kudos
Contributor

“Heart and Soul” by Hoagie Carmichael. The melody is now used by Train for “Play That Song”

“ Heart and Soul” is also the name of a charming movie staring Robert Downy Jr. 

It was the first song a piano teacher taught my father when he decided to learn to play the piano when I was a teen. 

Contributor

I like "September" EWF,  Dance by GaGa, and Girls like you by Adam Levine

0 Kudos
Contributor

Easy - "If I Only Knew" by Tom Jones.  It's a staple at family gatherings.  EVERYONE, aged 7 to 77, rocks out.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

My 41 year old likes Billy Joel, the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Tupac and I could go on. His 4 year old is learning to also love those songs because his father does and they sing them together.

My youngest likes Jack Johnson, as well as many songs from the above. They both like 
Fleetwood Mac!

The songs they strongly dislike are any songs that I played over and over and over again in the car, by Phil Collins, THE BREAKFAST CLUB sound track, Van Halen and Barbra Streisand.

Sir Granny Tracy
0 Kudos

I think that all the music from the 60's-70's-80's. The talent was awesome and you could understand the words. To many of the artists died of drug overdoses BUT they live on through generations.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP