Mel Collins.            74

(King Crimson)

Terry Ellis.              58

(En Vogue)

Brad Wilk.              53

(Rage Against The Machine)

Dweezil Zappa.    52

Regular Contributor

A Blessed 74th to you, Mr. Melvyn Collins, a musician's musician, born into a family of the same. I mean, who HAVEN'T you played with in your long, storied career? And all top-notch groups, at that. But I must admit, your contributions over these many years to the killer sounds & songs of King Crimson stole my heart from the very 1st time I ever heard you play with them, on recordings & at live gigs from D.C. to Pittsburgh & other beloved venues between NYC & Baltimore, awa within the WV/OH/PA tri-state area. Many a KC cassette was worn out on late-nite, party-at-the-lake runs w/my dear, departed bestie, Mykie C. (R.I.P.) back in the day. Gigs at the old 9:30 were especially coveted, as we'd caravan up in multiple vehicles, carloads of wayward WV punk friends who just couldn't get enough King Crimson, no matter how often we played yr records or danced like mad at live shows. Your songs played such a large role in our teenage yrs, the band was even featured in our own lyrics & poetry when we began branching out forming local groups of our own. Once again, King Crimson was a major contributor to the soundtrack of our lives, so much so that when Covid-19 became a thing, a dear friend from back east sent me an "In the Court of the Crimson King" protective facemask to wear, which I do with pride, despite the fact that the big painted rose lips, red nose & giant white teeth make me look like someone straight outta the Insane Clown Posse! May you have a blessed birthday with many more to come, & I hope u never stop rocking. Take care now, SRW in CA.

Sharon R Wolfe
Regular Contributor

Happy 75th birthday to the inimitable Loudon Wainwright III! When I was a child, you were my father's favorite singer/songwriter featured on local radio, with your heady hit, "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road," & as an adult, I rediscovered your unique musical offerings, developing a whole new appreciation for songs that had yrs prior flown right over my naive little head, like "Strange Weirdos," "Red Guitar," & "Unrequited to the Nth Degree," as sincerely (chortle, guffaw) performed by you on SNL's 1st season when I was 12 yrs old. In late 2018, I won tix to Rufus @ the Masonic in S.F. Dateless but content, I gave 1 ticket to a stranger, utilizing the other myself. This amazing gig turned me on to yet another aspect of your family's genius: talented musical offspring doing their own creative thing! So please, enjoy your blessed day secure in the knowledge that strange weirdos around the globe adore you & yours, without ever having met you in person. In other words, you done good, my man! Many happy returns, sharonthedyslexicmess in NorCal.

Sharon R Wolfe
Honored Social Butterfly

Sept 4

Sonny Charles.         81

(& Checkmates)

Merald Knight.          79

(Pips)

Ronald LaPread.       71

(Commodores)

Martin Chambers.    70

(Pretenders)

Kim Thayil.                61

(Soundgarden)

Beyonce.                   40

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sept 3

Al Jardine.          79

(Beach Boys)

Donald Brewer   73

(Grand Funk)

Steve Jones.      66

(Sex Pistols)

Regular Contributor

Happy 66th Birthday, Mr. Jones! Your music contributed to the soundtrack of my life. In 1984-5 in L.A., you befriended a mutual mate of ours, Carleton (R.I.P.), who still lived in Glendale with his mom he was so young, but also so streetwise, he showed you the ropes while you were in town. How do I know? It was all he could talk about for weeks, bragging about running here & there for/with his new buddy, Steve. You might not remember him, but he never forgot you. From one old punk to another, here's to a smashing great day, & many more to come. Cheers! Sharon in CA.

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sept 2

Jimmy Clanton.           83

Sam Gooden.               82

(Impressions)

Joe Simon.                   78

Rosalind Ashford.       78

(Vandellas)

Jerry Augustyniak.      63

(10000 Maniacs)

Sam Rivers.                  44

(Limp Bizkit)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sept 1

Archie Bell.        77

Barry Gibb.        75

Greg Errico.       73

(Family Stone)

Gloria Estefan.  64

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

If I Leave Here Tomorrow - A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd 

Coming to Netflix on September 7th

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 31

Jerry Allison.          82

(Crickets)

Van Morrison.        76

Rudolf Schenker.   73

(Scorpions)

Gina Schock.          64

(Go-Gos)

Debbie Gibson.       51

Greg Richling.         51

(Wallflowers)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 29

Dan Truman.     65

(Diamond Rio)

Kyle Cook.         46

(Matchbook Twenty)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 28

Verdelle Smith.      91

David Soul.            78

Danny Seraphine  73

(Chicago)

Wayne Osmond  70

Shania Twain.     56

LeAnn Rimes.     39

Florence Welch. 39

(Florence & Machine)

Regular Contributor

Wayne Osmond 70? David Soul 78? Paul Michael (Manfred) Glaser is also 78, but not tomorrow. I can recall purchasing Osmond Brothers 45's at McCrory's & G.C. Murphy's 5 & Dime, & had some of their L.P.'s on 8-track when I was in grade-school. I also had a giant poster of Donny Osmond & his big, toothy grin on the wall between my bunk-beds back then, too. LoL I was a die-hard "Starsky & Hutch" fan from the age of 12, would never miss an episode if I could help it. I also had a poster of them on my wall & crushed heavily on Soul's "Hutch" as an adolescent/pre-teen. Anybody remember his singer/songwriter/guitarist musical endeavors? Dude wasn't half bad. At least we sang along. They even graced the cover of our 6th grade "Bananas" kids' magazine, which I still have stashed on a shelf somewhere. Approx 2 yrs ago, I rediscovered them via YouTube, falling in love all over again w/them & the series' San Pedro/downtown L.A. settings/backdrops. I still like Soul, but decades later find my "Hutch" crush has morphed into a "Starsky" one. Changing times, changing tastes, I suppose. "Starsky & Hutch" was not the sole reason I dreamt of moving to L.A. beginniing in the 7th grade, but the series definitely planted a seed that would ultimately bear fruit by my 21st year. I no longer live in L.A., but recall those wild years almost as if they happened yesterday. Made many a youthful mistake, yet still glad I took the plunge, otherwise I would not have my beloved, East L.A.-born boy. So Happy 78th Birthday, Mr. Soul, you hot-toddie, you. And a Blessed 70th to you too, Mr. Osmond, who, along with your brothers, frequently serenaded this little girl to sleep via those chunky-clunky 8-track tapes stored in a carrying case under my bed. Many happy returns to you both! Love, Sharon.

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 27

Tommy Sands.      84

Jeff Cook.              72

(Alabama)

Alex Lifeson.         68

(Rush)

Glen Matlock.       65

(Sex Pistols)

Tony Kanal.           51

(No Doubt)

Regular Contributor

Wow. Glen Matlock is 65? And I remember when he was still snotty behind the ears. Happy Birthday Glen! Thanx for all the fun & trouble I got into as a wayward youth with your music blaring in the background. Another "Soundtrack of My Life" band. Many happy returns, sharonthedyslexicmess.

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 26

Vic Dana.               81

Valerie Simpson   76

(Ashford & Simpson)

Bob Cowsill           72

Jimmy Olander.    60

(Diamond Rio)

Shirley Manson.    55

(Garbage)

Dan Vickrey.           55

(Counting Crows)

Adrian Young.        52

(No Doubt)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 25

Walter Williams.       78

(O'Jays)

Henry Paul.               72

(Outlaws)

Gene Simmons.       72

(Kiss)

Rob Halford.             70

(Judas Priest)

Geoff Downes.         69

(Asia)

Elvis Costello.           67

Billy Ray Cyrus.         60

Vivian Campbell.      59

(Dec Leppard)

Regular Contributor

Hard to believe 3 of my early musical idols, Simmons, Halford, & Costello will be 72, 70, & 67 tomorrow. That used to seem so old to me once-upon-a-time. Not so much these days. Blessed Be the Birthday Boys, & many happy returns!

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just in- Charlie Watts of the Stones died

this morning at age 80. Unsure of cause

of death. RIP Charlie in Rocker Heaven

🎼🙏💜

Social Butterfly

That’s a huge loss. Only a handful of people are true icons and he was one. Keith Richards just posted this picture. 

E3ADF012-B5B9-4A15-A747-A9271BFC93CB.jpeg

Regular Contributor

Awww. That hurts.

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Aw no, not again! Just when u think things couldn't possibly get worse - when u find yrself actually praying for the Reaper to take even one afternoon off, to just go home early today & forget about us for a little while, another giant lays his greatness down one last time...only to find he's not really that sleepy, & so heads out to the local pub w/his mate, Grim, for a pint or two before retiring, then never returns. This is my 1st hearing of Mr. Watts' passing, so I know nothing re his cause of death, but my personal sentiment is that he wouldn't have made it to the age he did w/o his music. Some ppl have so much rhythm in their bones, they have no choice but to let it out for all the world to experience. They live to play & oft die that way, essentially pursuing both one's calling & one's bliss; which, if done successfully, can make one a very famous-yet-content person. I mean, if they weren't enjoying at least some part of their lifetimes as musicians, they could've retired any time over the past several decades & sat on their laurels for the duration, living off royalties, guest talk spots, & residuals. It wouldn't have made them any less popular or prolific, their catalog of musical offerings to the world is quite substantial & guaranteed memorable. Charlie Watts, as a man & a member of his notorious band, will be forever loved & admired by his fam & his fans. Currently, my household is mourning more loss simultaneously - of close family members, near & dear friends, multiple former bandmates, plus lifelong musical idols - than we've ever had to deal with at any one point in time. We seem, as of late, to be in a perpetual state of mourning which gets overwhelming real fast, I'll tell u. But that's not good ol' Charlie's problem, he's beyond all bothers of the living now. My sincerest condolences to his family, bandmates, friends, & fans planet-wide. May he rest in peace 'cause he's earned it, & rock in peace 'cause he can. Straight up, Charlie was The Man. And what a legacy this one man left behind! Blessed Be He.

Sharon R Wolfe
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I agree. It’s all too much sometimes 😢

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh no, how sad. I just read an article yesterday about him. He had a procedure and was recovering at home. Seemed to be doing okay. They didn’t say what type of procedure, but did say he would require a lot of rest and would not be able to tour with the band this fall. RIP, Charlie. 

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Honored Social Butterfly

Another legend lost

Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 24

Mason Williams.        83

Marshall Thompson  79

(Chi-Lites)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 23

Linda Thompson.   74

Woody Paul.            72

(Riders In The Sky)

Rick Springfield.      72

Dean DeLeo.            60

(Stone Temple Pilots)

Ira Dean.                   52

(Trick Pony)

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Don Everly passed away yesterday at the age

of 84 💜🎼

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I used to sing, "Bye-Bye Love," & "Wake Up, Little Susie" as a toddler to my parents, little friends, toys, anything that would sit still long enough to listen. How do I know? Mom thought it so cute she never let me live it down! Yes indeed, a mother's love is even strong enough to distort soundwaves, for in all truthfulness, I prob sounded more like Mushmouth from Fat Albert that either of the Everly Bros back then, seeing as I was still too young to pronounce my words properly (baby teeth). I know death as the Big Inevitable, but acceptance of this is another thing entirely. The Brothers are no more, & never again will we hear their sweet voices weave shiver-inducing harmonies that once upon a time, could quite literally make us weak in the knees, prompting even the most tone-deaf among us to cheer them on while joining in song. We still have their recordings, those that haven't already been lost, but as years pass, fewer will remain in circulation. The world has lost yet another incredible artist with an instantly recognizeable, exceptional voice. But it will be a very long time before the outstanding musical legacy, regardless of personal issues, of Phil & Don, the Everly Brothers is forgotten. My beliefs are my own, I won't bore you with those, but I'd like to think in some manner, the Boys are true brothers again, playing, working, fishing, swimming, arms over shoulders in familial camaraderie, their brotherly love no longer tainted by industry pressures, impossible deadlines, & outside forces beyond their control. Yes they made the big-time, and deservedly so, but in many ways at the expense of their relationship. If there ever is a family reunion in whatever their vision of heaven might be, may all be forgiven. May Phil's fam join w/Don's, ancestors rocking the children, while all who had a hand in creating these two amazing men gather round while they entertain their long-lost relatives w/a few simple tunes of love, salvation, & heartfelt reconciliation. And when they're ready, not when some record exec tells them they can, they'll set their guitars down for a rest, & head on dn twd the shade trees together, to watch the water roll by and partake of the scrumptious picnic awaiting them at the Everly Family Homecoming Celebration. Rest in Peace 'cause u've earned it, & Rock in Peace when the Spirit moves u. Blessed Be, Isaac Donald Everly.

Sharon R Wolfe
Honored Social Butterfly

Aug 22

David Marks.          73

(Beach Boys)

Roland Orzabal      60

(Tears For Fears)

Debbie Peterson.   60

(Bangles)

Tori Amos.              58

James DeBarge.    58

Paul Doucette.       49

(Match Box Twenty)

Howie Dorough.    48

(Backstreet Boys)

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP