Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Contributor

Halfway Expats and Global Nomads: Like Having Your Cake and Eating It Too

We spend winters enjoying the warmth and charm of Mexico, basking in the sun and building a community. But come spring, our wanderlust takes flight, and we transform into global nomads, exploring new horizons and collecting memories from every corner of the world. It's a balance of stability and adventure, allowing us to reap the benefits of both worlds. 

Conversationalist

I'm retired now and I am living where I prefer to live.  I was born and raised in Augusta, Ga.  and wouldn't want to live any where else.  I would love to go to Israel though!

Rebecca
Bronze Conversationalist

That may not be very safe or sane right now @Rebecca2004   

The real question is where can one afford to retire?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am doing the same. House is paid for. My friends are here and I like my church. No state income tax. 

1rst Choices: Punta Cana Dominican Republic / Ceara Coast Brazil  

2nd Choices: Destin Florida / US Virgin Islands / Puerto Rico

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

To the Caribbean! Here's hoping!! 🏖

Periodic Contributor

and if you must stay in the USA, Puerto Rico is the place to go.  But my favorite and I've been there several times, is Santo Domingo, right across the Mona passage from Puerto Rico.  Great weather, great people, great food, and wonderful scenery in both places.

Gold Conversationalist

@MM3080  Agree!  Puerto Rico is awesome. My wife and I have visited her birth country of the Philippines a number of times from the US. Having a 24-26 hour plane trip was no fun (and more like 30 hours "door to door"). That is certainly an exotic tropical country (of sorts). But it was a real treat to visit Puerto Rico when we lived in Florida. An exotic tropical country with great cuisine, lovely friendly people, yet with the benefits of:   no currency exchange (US Greenbacks), no passport! no customs entry! no immigration! And best of all it's only a 3 hour flight from Tampa! 3 hours of travel and you debark into a "foreign" exotic tropical paradise.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

Staying in Kentucky. I toyed with the idea of going back to NY but it’s a little more laid back here. 

Conversationalist

I'm in Georgia...gotta love the South!

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment (1/8/23) Hey stranger!!! So good to hear from you @Raynyky . Happy New Year. 🥳 Nicole 🙃

Social Butterfly

@Anonymous

Happy New Year!

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 comments

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Good to hear from you @OscarE1968 🙃

Social Butterfly

Likewise 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

3 comments

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

No I was commenting on the post about moving to the Philippines. I have no idea why it posted here. I live in Florida so I am very familiars with the monsoons. 

Regular Contributor

I cannot find the post but someone mentioned Ocala Florida. My son lives in Ocala it is a very nice city.. Plenty of trees and rolling hills. There is a golf course not too far, from On Top of the World. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I’ve thought of moving to someplace near Orlando-but not in Orlando.  My brother, who I’m close to, lives there with his family, and it’d be nice to see them more than once every few years!   They love Orlando, but I don’t know that I’d like living in a large city.  A smaller place like Mt Dora might suit me better.  I don’t know that I’d want to buy another home, though. Maybe a nice apartment.  Currently I live near Buffalo, NY.  I love the change of seasons here.  I love that we live near two Great Lakes, Lake Chautaqua, the Finger Lakes. I love that we live near the foothills of the Appalachians.  I love that there’s a festival of some kind, arts, music, food, you name it, somewhere in Western NY, every weekend of the year. I love the architecture, the museums, the live theaters, the huge variety of restaurants.  People are so nice in this area.  I think I’ll stick around home!

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly

I so wanted to win the HGTV home in Hilton Head, but missed that so was okay with my little apt in Vegas.

After the last year, and especially last 3 months, thought I'd be okay... then today. I now want to find somewhere that will accept retired persons as immigrants and future citizens.

Does anyone know of anywhere one can go (post-covid19) that is affordable (e.g., small apts utilities included for <$1K US)? Climate would preferably be warmer, but anything is doable. Must have internet access.

I hope I don't sound as silly as this appears but I really cannot be around for the repeat.

Thank you in advance!

#MaskUPNV

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Gold Conversationalist

@WebWiseWoman 

You and me (and my wife) both!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

First of all, Vegas is great. Are you running from, or seriously running TO? Portugal is warm, is friendly, low taxes. There is always Costa Rica. 

Regular Social Butterfly

I do like to think of Portugal but they currently don't want retired ex-pats, based on google returns; Costa Rica is hesitating as they are overloaded right now.

Thanks for the suggestions; both would be beautiful once "Atlas Shrugs" and the world re-aligns proper.

#MaskUpNV

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Periodic Contributor

I've lived in Chicago, Washington D.C (surrounding areas) Ft Lauderdale, Phoenix and Tucson Sao Paulo, Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and now back in Maryland. 

I would really like to retire early and return to a warm climate. Therefore, Florida, Arizona, Brazil or Vietnam.  

By the way, why do people from Chicago tend to retire to Arizona and East Coast generally moves to Florida?

Regular Social Butterfly

hahahahaha, @MarkB242707... only fam rumor but East Coast peeps couldn't mix with anyone from THAT gang, so CHI, KC, STL...and east of the MS river hated Miami; honest to goodness next warmest area was AZ (TX hated any brown skin; NOLA was owned by French (after WWII they'd never get along with Italians). It worked out okay, me thinks...

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos

We don't know where to retire! Our choices are: AZ, NM, NV, or TX.  I don't know how we are going to narrow the choice down.  We live in MO now, but want to get out of the cold plus try something different.  I've never been to AZ or NM, so I suspect we will have to drive out there and do the tourist thing.  We are have 3 years until retirement/semi-retirement. 

Contributor

Hi Thingirl
My wife was born and raised in St. Louis (where I met her while in the service) and we spent 10 years after we got married. We moved a number of time during my civilian career. We are new arrivals to Tucson, Az having accepted a job with Raytheon. I am currently partially retired with full retirement perhaps 8 years away (much less if I cant get my current workload way down). A strong reason why I chose the job is that Az was on our list of retirement places (in our top 5). We are going on 2+ years here and happy with our decision. It certainly has somethings to get used to (high temps summer, dessert terrain) but lots of pluses, especially for folks who like outdoor activities. As with all things we are learning to adept, for summer season we simply shift our outdoor hikes to early in the AM. We are fortunate that we live in the foothills of the Santa Rita mountains, with our house of 4000 ft alt it bring cooler temps in summer. When we have a hankering for real trees and forest we head down to Mt Wrightson a high altitude mountain with gorgeous green forest. I ended up putting a ‘welcome to Tucson’ book for new members of our congregation, feel free to reach out to me for a copy
Also, FYI.. what our wife and I did to start getting a feel for places to retire. 1) of course lots on internet searching and gathering info, 2) More important was making 1 week trips out to the place, this helped a lot. We have visited AZ (3 times), Tx (2 times), NV, WA, AK, and Belize. As noted we also have moved around the country quit a bit so had a very good feel for other locations

Regular Social Butterfly

Hi! I'm KC born and raised, so good to meet you!

My first thought is to strongly consider AZ or NM! Beautiful states but you'll have to definitely spend a couple of months in Spring and Winter in each as they have extreems you wouldn't even expect in MO because they're 6 months apart 😉

NV has been good to me but I came here 10 years before retirement so worked and became connected to the community plus kids and their families transplanted here. I love it very much and would only leave if I can find a country that will accept retired immigrants (due to the current political situation) or if a little shack in the backwoods of the Ozarks became available. 😉

TX, never lived there but I'd advise their mosquitos are 3 x as big as MO's and 3 x as many 😉

Happy retirement!

#MaskUPNV

#VegasStrong
Regular Contributor

Oh my, we havent been to many places except Atlanta and Nashville, Bowling Green, ky and Virginia. I think i would like somewhere like in the Hallmark movie The Christmas Card. The family lives in a classic "Christmas Card" like log cabin surrounded by beautiful woods and snow. It would be soothing because i could paint all that scenery. Im a painter and artist from ky.

Wendell Bowen
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP