Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 21 of 342

TN is closest to my children and grandchildren 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 342

Hello Candy3954,

Well, we "immigrated" to Canada with a little planning and a lot of luck.  By the way you CAN keep your US citizenship, we heard a lot of myths flying around about that.  

One trick is we started the process when I was still in my early 50's.  It took about 3 years to get our permanent resident cards.  Also we purchased property here in the early 2000's.  That was for investment, but we were extremely lucky to purchase property at that time, because the values skyrocketed shortly after.  So, now we have a place to stay that is paid for, and two other rental properties to help with retirement.  

It actually helped to apply in your 50's, because Canada has a merit system, based on education, job skills, etc, and they look at how long you might contribute to the work force.  But these are not the only criteria, so you shouldn't be put off.   We immigrated under the "Economic, Skilled Workers" classification.  There are other ways to immigrate as well.  You can actually do most of it online, but you have to be patient:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

And yes there are places a lot less expensive than Vancouver, that are very nice to live.  If you like small, scenic, outdoorsy towns, there are lots of those. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 342

Good morning RussWestbrook,

I visited Vancouver on vacation three years ago and loved the outskirts - the scenery is beautiful.  The city felt safe to me, but very crowded and very expensive.  I was amazed at the Rolls Royce and Lamborghini and other uber-luxury car dealerships I saw that I rarely, if ever, see here (Chicago area).  I have thought about retiring in Canada, but it appears the rules are prohibitive.  How did you manage it, if you don't mind me asking?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 342

Candy3954,

Thanks for the tip. 

I'm going to look up International Living magazine.  My wife and I have been living in Vancouver for about 12 years now.  It's an expensive place, but our money comes from the states (pensions, retirements, investments, etc), and the exchange rate works quite well to our benefit.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 342

When I retire, I plan to stay put in my current home.  Of course, I'd love to travel to maybe a few new places.  But I intend to spend and end my days of living right where I am now!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 342

Hello Info Seeker,

I'm in a similar boat.  65.  Retired now.  I decided I would do my international tours and living abroad while I'm still young enough and, hopefully, healthy enough not to need help, and then find a place to live close enough to the kids down the road.

May I suggest International Living magazine?  It has all kinds of interesting articles written by people who are living the dream and they go into such places as pricing for food, rent/buy units, healthcare, and other things we want to know.  It's not available on newstands, as far as I know.  Look it up online.

Best of luck to you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 342
Thanks, I agree that the people connection is key!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 342

All of those things are important. You need to decide which are the most important to you? What is it that gives meaning to your life? Where can you find that?

For me, the most important thing was my social support network, since I have no family.

Carol A. KIng

Where Shall I Live When I Retire?

Available at Amazon.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 342

Very good question! 

I'm single, healthy, 62, and might have a modest income at retirement. I'm at the point where I have the following questions:

Should I move near one of my adult children...which one?

Should I move where it is most economical?

Should I move where the weather and amenities are best for me?

I feel like I should play it safe and be prepared ahead of time for circumstances where I might need help and resources, instead of a dream location away from family.

Thanks to everyone for their insights on this forum!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 342
Sun City???
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season