Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What are the odds that someone could win any monthly contest here, let alone TWICE in the SAME month

Silver Conversationalist

What are the odds that someone could win any monthly contest here, let alone TWICE in the SAME month

Thanks so much for the graphs from @KellytheBelly . ….it got me to thinking 🤔 (admittedly a rare occurrence 😉 ) …

What are the odds that someone could win any monthly contest here, let alone TWICE in the SAME month?

Well…..I did some non-opinionated, & totally non-scientific ….‘ballpark’ calculating…(in other words…. ‘Just sayin’) I enter most contests every month. Since they are not all available for the entire month…some 1, 2, or 3 weeks say….still when I do enter one I use all 10 entries….so say 1 contest ran an average of 25 days = 25,000 entries, & say I enter 8-10 contests per month…so ‘on the lower end’ that 8 X 25,000 = 200,000 entries for the month…. just for me. For the year that ‘ballpark’ calculating 200,000 entries ‘on the lower end’ X 12 months = 2,400,000>>>>>> that’s almost 2 ½ MILLION entries… & that’s just for me. I win about 1 time a year….that’s sad ain’t it?... lol 😄  …. so for me the odds of winning are about 1 in 2 ½ MILLION!!

But to throw into the equation…. the thousands & thousands of our community entering most contests every month ….then….what are the odds…that someone could win any monthly contest?.....&….that same person did so >>>>>TWICE in the SAME month?

Just sayin’

Take care y'all

The 2 comparison graphs are from KellyS503189.JPGThe comparison graphs are from KellyS503189.JPG

Regular Contributor

I enter the same giveaways every day, only the ones I’m interested in,  entering using the max amount of points and still win nothing. Mind you,  it’s not about the winning but rather what I posted a few days ago; it’s about seeing people winning multiple giveaways in one month’s time. It’s about CA , CO and TX winning a vast majority of the sweeps. 

Regular Social Butterfly

I found this interesting because I've been AARP member for 27 years, and online member since 2009; and earning points and entering sweeps since whenever that started.

I received notification I finally won something in October (2021). I have yet to receive.

For me, that means these sweeps are pretty much legit; the administration of them, however, seem lax. I have been able to find the sweeps are outsourced to a company "HelloWorld".

So, delivery was advised to be perhaps January, 2022, maybe.

I don't know if that's what the other "winners" experienced or were told, but I do think that info should be included.

In addition, AARP Foundation and AARP Help End Senior Poverty hasn't received points for two months. There is a post regarding that:  AARP Foundation Contribution? 

Thanks for reading.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Silver Conversationalist

Hello again @WebWiseWoman

Thanks for your reply.

Yes…I also posted recently aboutHow can the AARP Foundation Points Contribution be “sold out”?” https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/How-can-the-AARP-Foundation-Points-Contribution-be-sold-out...

On an earlier post I mentioned {“ * as of 12/15/21…. Good news: while the AARP Foundation Points Contribution is still “sold out”…. a new rewards item has appeared:  “AARP Foundation Points Contribution - Help End Senior Poverty” @ 4,000 Points”}

Unfortunately…. as of 12/20/21 …that new offer is also SOLD OUT!

Anyhoot...

Happy Holidaze! ~Allen 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

I sincerely hope your win works out for you. It's good you are cautious when it comes to HelloWorld, not the best company to deal with. Hopefully your reward will arrive soon with no problems.

They do not respond very well for assistance when their shipments do not arrive at their destination. They tend to shift all the responsibility to the delivery service. In my experience most situations with lost shipment claims have to be initiated with the shipper (HelloWorld).

Just Saying 

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

That's kinda the reviews I found online; not sure why AARP chose this vendor, but there it is... hopefully none of the AARP "mucky-mucks" have shares in HelloWorld...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I won one and was notified in the middle of March for a February 2021 sweepstakes. I received the egift card about 9 to 10 weeks after being notified.  So if you won a October sweepstakes and were notified in November you will probably receive it around the middle of January.

Regular Social Butterfly

Thanks for your experience; this will assist many of us!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I guess I look at it differently.  When you check the terms and conditions for the sweepstakes there is a different link for each one.  Most of the information is the same for each except telling what the prizes are.  When it says 1 prize per person, I take it to mean 1 per each sweepstakes.  If there are 10 sweepstakes in a month, in theory someone could win all of them and still only have 1 win per sweepstakes.  The example of the person winning a $100 Macy's card and a Pocket Printer is from 2 different sweepstakes even though they are in the same month.  That would still fit that only 1 prize per person for each sweepstakes.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree with you. I think they’ve set up each award opportunity as a separate sweepstakes.  It’s clear that each sweepstake is then governed by the sweepstakes laws of the FTC (which don’t really mean to micromanage every sweepstakes, but rather ensure sweepstakes aren’t really illegal lotteries or scams). The administrator might be able to combine all opportunities into one sweepstake and then prevent someone from winning two prizes in one month. However, i bet that would come with other changes we wouldn’t like. We might lose the ability to select which prize we want or have different types of limits on the number of daily entries.  I’m not a lawyer, but the FTC website has a pretty good layman’s description of sweepstakes rules compliance and it appears AARP follows them. 

As the original post indicated, the odds of winning are slim for anyone.  I support AARP using the ‘statistical improbability’ of anyone winning twice instead of more regulations. For the recent double winner: congrats on the amazing luck. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPTeri @AARPJanelleM 

Hello Teri, Janelle, could you please remind us of the sweepstakes rules, specially concerning the frequency that sweepstakes can be earned?

After seeing the post by @Therapist4u with its interesting tables, I am confused.

I thank you in advance for answering my post.

Community Concierge

@a170938b Check out the Sweepstakes rules for each specific sweeps here: https://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/rewards-terms-and-conditions/sweeps-rules/

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hi Janelle, Though I am always grateful and surprised when I get an answer at all from AARP, I would truly prefer if the answer was related to the question.

To reiterate, I was asking how often we can win a sweepstake in a month. To put it into perspective and to clarify the inquiry, it's because a couple of years ago, we were told that only 1 sweepstake could be won in a month; I remember well as some members protested vehemently.

I appreciate hearing from you again with a true answer. Thank you in advance.

Community Concierge

@a170938b  Any participant can win more than one sweepstakes in a month. However, they cannot win the same sweepstakes twice. Everyone has an equal chance of winning a sweepstake upon entry.

@KellytheBelly @Therapist4u 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@AARPJanelleM

Thank you kindly for your response.

So that answers all of our inquiries.

Anyway, hope you’re doing well. 💐

& Wishing you a

🎉Happy New Year 🎊 as well!

Take care ~Allen

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPJanelleM 

Thank you so much for such a clear answer. 

Wishing you a Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@a170938b You are most welcome. Have a Happy New Year! 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, @AARPJanelleM . How about simply answering the main question here, as has been posted several times, by several people...I have provided screenshots of someone winning two sweepstakes in one month (REF: https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/Links-to-Sweepstakes-Winners/m-p/2434641/highlight/true#M41...). Does this go against AARP policy, or can someone win twice in one month (two different sweepstakes), and that this is acceptable/this does not go against any rules, or policy? Meaning, is it perfectly fine if one person wins two different sweepstakes in one month? Please, just need the answer for this, and we'll be on our merry way! lol

Silver Conversationalist

Hi again @KellytheBelly

Thanks for asking @AARPJanelleM

directly...this is the answer we have been seeking.

The link to sweeps rules she posted is for each sweeps sponsor....& doesn't say exactly what the AARP rules are....We simply need to know .....

>>>>>> how many sweeps can one person win per month?!! ...

& are there any other restrictions that apply? 

Seems I remember reading somewhere.... that any one member can only win once per sponsor?!? 🤔

i.e. NIKE 👟

(disclosure...my memory ain't working at 100% anymore...actually... I'd be grateful if it works at 50%...or even 40%) hehee 🙃

I had to chuckle at your last sentence...

'and we'll be on our merry way! lol 😄

🎅🤶🎄

Happy Holidaze! ~Allen 

Trusted Contributor

I have never ever won a sweepstakes and I have been doing the maximum number of entries on at least four or five sweepstakes each month since September 2019.  I have been entering thinking someone has to win and maybe it might be me.  But I am losing all hope especially if someone is winning two sweepstakes in one month.  I believe I will quit spending so much time earning points and entering the sweepstakes.  What chance do I have of ever winning one.  I will earn enough points to hopefully get three gift cards each month.  A lot of time saved!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Hi @11320cs Thanks for your reply.

I agree….& understand your dissatisfaction & disappointment….

& feel the same way as well.

Take care ~Allen

Trusted Contributor

I haven't won a sweepstakes yet either, I usually pick two a month to enter every day (Pottery Barn please oh please!!!).  I think if someone wins, they should not be able to win again for at least a year, with all the others out there that have not won at all.....

Kenneth

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @KennethG683811  Thanks for your reply. I agree….also, we need clarification as to how many sweepstakes prize wins per person,… & how often….as in per month …& yearly …for each member.

Take care ~Allen

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you for repost, my question went unanswered, even though it was posted on 11/27/2021. Crickets. 😔  P.S. Still haven't won a sweep this year, and it really grinds my gears when someone wins it twice, and I thought that was against the rules. Yet, when I ask about it, nobody from AARP recognizes it. That speaks to me quite loudly. (See >>> https://community.aarp.org/t5/Redemption/Links-to-Sweepstakes-Winners/m-p/2434641/highlight/true#M41...)

Silver Conversationalist

Hi again @KellytheBelly

Thanks for your reply,…. & for the topic idea….& the graphs.... that help to make this an important issue.

Take care ~Allen 

Silver Conversationalist

Hi Kelly; its a forgone conclusion that this administrator applies it's own rules as it sees fit and rewards select individuals with whatever they want. There is no direct surveillance of any actions undertaken by our dear administrator, by AARP.org and they are left to do whatever they please.

Just Saying  

lucyp061351
Silver Conversationalist

Hi again @ridgeviewfarm

Thanks for your reply,….

& for your comments & thoughts

Take care ~Allen 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP