Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

UNABLE TO LOG ON --PHONE REQUIRED

Sat April 15 I attempted to log into AARP, something I have been doing DAILY  without a problem for several years.  A page came up saying a new security measure required AARP to text or phone me a code in order to proceed.  I found a "not now" tab, clicked it and was online.  The following Monday, April 17 I chatted online with AARP about this feature.  Since I choose not to use a phone (yes really) I asked them for an alternate method like email to send me a code if that is what their security detail required.  They said they would get back to me in 3-5 business days.  Thursday April 20 I got an email--

Thank you for contacting AARP.

We have received your case and have passed it on to our rewards team. We will email you when we have a resolution from them.

If you are still experiencing issues with AARP.org please feel free to contact our toll free number at 1-877-634-8313.

Thank you for your continued support.

So today Friday April 21, I cannot log in at all.  I got on chat with them, said they would create a new ticket since my first issue was how to work around the no phone issue.  Meanwhile the first issue is not resolved even though it is the fifth business day.   I borrow a neighbor's phone and tried to get this resolved.  45 minutes later we are no where near resolved.  Meanwhile, I cannot log in, I cannot earn points, and I cannot redeem points!  

This added security feature is not helping me.  Anyone else with problems like this?  I know, I am the only person in their system with no phone, right?!

PS I may not be able to respond to you until my account is fixed....

Honored Social Butterfly

I am guessing that you may be a non-member right now, and a legit telephone number is required to sign on, as a non-member and member. I know this for a fact that you cannot create an account without a phone number that can be verified. It's a security feature, as it prevents 'just anyone' from creating an account using burner phones/temporary phone numbers (ie Text Now, Text Free, etc...). I do not foresee you getting this resolved until you provide a verifiable telephone number for your account. It sucks, I know, but this is how they are preventing scammers from joining the community, and so on and so forth. Here's a previous discussion on the forum regarding the same thing: https://community.aarp.org/t5/General-Help/AARP-ASKING-FOR-OUR-PHONE-NUMBER-WHEN-SIGNING-IN/td-p/233.... I thought it was an interesting read.

All in all, I hope you do get it resolved either way. Best of luck~!  🙂

P.S. Just want to tag Janelle, just in case there's something she can help you with further... @AARPJanelleM can you assist with this, or is this just to be an acceptable security feature by AARP to prevent scammers? Thank you! 🙂

Trusted Contributor

just read the article which seemed to start 3 years ago!  Good ammunition for my attack on Monday...

Trusted Contributor

I am a member, have been for a long time, in fact according to aarp over 39 years.  I was able to use a phone today to get back into my account but of course can't talk with anyone at aarp until Monday.  my argument with this featute for those of us not using a phone, isn't an email verification worth trying?

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm sorry, but what you're saying doesn't seem to make sense to me. There's something missing. Either way, I would prefer just the email verification as well, but in this case AARP requires that you have a telephone number that accepts SMS, not a burner phone, because they do not accept SMS. In addition, better watch out because some companies are going even further with security verification and requiring your DL and a selfie to use their perks. I have had to do this several times lately, and I feel it falls into confliction of privacy, yet because I am a real person, I will do it. Hate to be called a liar first, and show proof that I'm not, later. 😉  Hey, again glad you got into your account. How did you manage it, by the way? Just by providing your telephone number, again? Did you use someone else's cell number, and why, if you were able to get back into your account, would you need to contact them on Monday, or use the link from 2020 as ammunition? Are you saying that you contest the cellphone requirement and are trying to have them allow you to be an account holder without a telephone number? That's where this gets confusing for me. 

Unless, you feel as if you are/were:

grandfathered in.png

In that case, ah, nah. You use the services, all should apply. There should be no exception. Have you seen the scammers on here, by the way? It's ridiculous. And those accounts have provided legit phone numbers, which should concern not only you, buy everybody else here. 

Trusted Contributor

1. provided friend's land line which allowed me to get code and proceed.

2.  Two tickets pending with AARP, one for allowing email code instead of phone and second for account locked out on Friday (it was locked, then unlocked, then locked again).  My contact on Monday will be to ask where their answers are since they claimed my issues would be resolved in 3-5 days.  The first ticket started Monday and although they sent me an update on Thursday it did not answer ticket.  Also to bring them up to date and request (again) the missing points from those days I could not access site.  The ammunition will be handy showing that I am not alone in this problem.

3. Yes I am a member and access the site and all it has to offer but if I do not have a specific form of verification that is acceptable which was not an issue previously, why is this now an issue?  The members that now have VOIP phones should not be penalized.  I choose not to use a phone.  Why should I be penalized?  I have had to limit joining certain programs due to this issue.  Email verification seems to be a viable solution.

Not sure if I answered the things you are confused about but this is how I see it.

Periodic Contributor

I have a PI helping me navigate this all

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Your PI  will need a phone number...

Periodic Contributor

It worked for me in the past and is but I have an attorney and got feds involved and police because I had so many charges on my checking account. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Oh yes! It's nothing to worry about because they are 24/7 real time monitoring everything of mine

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Principal Investigator or a Private Investigator? What do you mean?

Periodic Contributor

I had something very similar happen to me in 2017 so I learned a lot from that experience!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Priviate Investigator can get them out of all of your information

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If you find a good PI, it will take time, but they will get these people out of your life. They are always 10 steps ahead!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

They give you the right security for phones etc so they can't get near you. They catch them doing things in your accounts in real time that they legally cant do. This time I knew exactly what to do and who to go to but it took over a year and thousands of dollars the last time it happened to me.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, not sure of why you are here, though. Does this have something to do with what the OP is having issue with, or, is this for something else? Please clarify.

Nevermind. Have a great Sunday, everybody.  😉

head bang.gif

Periodic Contributor

This just happened to me again. I know what people and companies are capable of so just trying to help. I was just looking for something on ky taxes and ended up on this site the other day not knowing anything about it. Put my info in and then saw charges on ky account and called my attorney and PI right away.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't have a cell phone so it can cause problems (no texting).

I feel your pain jserramcorder.

Regular Contributor

Just upgraded my internet service. An app is required to configure the wireless gateway and the network pods to greatly improve Wi-Fi coverage.

Yep, I feel your pain jserramcorder. I don't see a facepalm emoji so I'll stay positive 😊

Trusted Contributor

yeah everyone seems to think we are born with these items

Conversationalist

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. AARP could use some more experienced tech help.

Karyn
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP