Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL!! NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2018 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL!! NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2018 CLOSED

Due to timing issues I am making the change to NOVEMBER-DECEMBER early!

341019-Witch-Turkey-Goodbye-October-Welcome-November-Quote.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Recognized Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK  Last  time I posted a picture it was fine, a few days after Thanksgiving. 

@catwoman500I was interested in finding out what you thought of the last episode of the Durrells.  I think my question was buried in a post when you were not being notified?   Anyway, I watched the "Woman in White" 1st episode and I was right, I had very recently watched a movie on PBS with the same title.

We are off to the homestead for a day at the court house and to pick up and carry away more trash.  There was snow up there this weekend and it is probably muddy!

@FrozenoemOnly problem with being tall is that you have farther to fall!   I am 5 ft and do fall sometimes but usually no ill effects,  I just get mad.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita... 

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@catwoman500I was interested in finding out what you thought of the last episode of the Durrells.  I think my question was buried in a post when you were not being notified?   Anyway, I watched the "Woman in White" 1st episode and I was right, I had very recently watched a movie on PBS with the same title.

Wow! Ooopsie! I missed reading this post, and now I can't even remember what the last Durrells was about! Was it the circus one?

Did you finish watching this new version of The Woman in White? N.

@catwoman500  Yes, I do mean the episode with the circus.  It was so airy and silly I was taken aback when Spiros' wife came back and he had to tell Louisa.   And did she cry.  Just such  poignant moments among all that silliness delivered the extra punch and made the heart break seem very deep indeed.

Finally we get a day of sun, 57 for a high today.  We have been cloudy & rainy for several days.  Winter in the south I guess.  It rains every 3-4 days or so.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there everyone,

We have some sun back after all that rain. YAY!  45 right now, but the temps will drop and the wind is supposed to pick up later.

@LaDolceVita...OK...thought it might be that episode. It was off the wall kind of. A circus was not exactly an expected event. And ohhhh, yes, Spiro's wife came back. That was so sad. I thought sure Louisa's and Spiro's relationship was going to move forward. Oh, and Daphne's (is that her name?) baby is not Leslie's after all. I had a feeling about that, though.

@Frozenoem...Oh, dear, just when I was about to get another cup of coffee you had to remind me of that certain type of coffee. YIKES! Cat Tongue

Have a stress-free pre-holiday week, everyone. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch! It's been cold but no snow here for a while. Looking forward to my retired employees Christmas lunch tomorrow. It is always good to see those you knew and worked with for up to 30 years this time of year. Great to keep in contact with those you know in person or by the internet. 

FB_IMG_1542552696199.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309

First Iโ€™m a he, 6โ€™4โ€ and upright for first time in a month. My lung is happy again.

If your roof is covered with tarpaper, beneath shingles might happen again.

If plastic peel and stick membrane itโ€™s indestructible, then shingles 30 years of happiness.

My garage roof needs new shingles, as well or metal but, no leaks thanks to membrane. Come Sprinh not disturbing the 2โ€™ of snow atop.

@n566192l

Itโ€™s warm today last night lows of -2* and I was busy keep the stove going. Today warmed to 28*, feel hibernation is over for now.

Awoke to a fur ball beside me @ my shoulder, think she may have been cold.

Now I require caffeine, and trip to store.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views

Haha @Frozenoem and @LydiaN586309  I am glad that Froze himself corrected you about himself.  I was going to tell you that he is a man, quite large and hairy.  Of course I do not really know whether he is hairy, just the picture of a guy I get when I think of Maine and cold and snow.  Facial hair would help keep you warm.  Sorry Froze I am kidding and I was laughing while I was composing that post.  Anyway, so glad you are better.  Please stay that way whatever horrid tests you have to have.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita...yes. I chuckled, too when I read that @LydiaN586309 thought Froze was a "she." Cat Wink We're all good here, so no offense is ever taken and we are kind of blind when it comes to the folks participating. You don't know me; I don't know you, but it's all good.

Today I went out for Christmas lunch with our Game Night girls. We have a tradition of going to this lovely inn where they decorate so beautifully. Wish I could post a photo, but AARP stopped working for me when it comes to photos.  I get them all ready, or so I think and then it posts only what I say and no photo. Oh, well.

Take care everyone.

Oh, @Frozenoem...I found a cane spike thing on Amazon so will probably order it soon. Looks kind of like a bayonet when it is in the "up" position! Cat LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita Do you get a message when you try to post a picture? If so what is it?

I have photo posting issues from time to time so let me know. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Dear Frozenoem,

Sorry about the misidentification there.  I've been on these boards only a few months, but I just assumed.....   Well, as you and I both know,  one should never assume!  So I do apologize.  In any case, I'm just glad to hear you're up and about and feeling better!  And thanx for the info/suggestion  on the roof replacement. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Hope Everyone is doing well on Our Front Porch!

But first of all,  I must ask "How is our friend Frozenoem doing?"   I haven't seen her post here for over a week now.  I know there were/are some health issues, but does anyone know if everything is okay with Frozenoem?  And if you are reading this Froze...  and just don't feel like writing,  just know you are in my thoughts and prayers and I truly hope you feel better soon.  Write when you're up to it.  Stay warm and Godspeed!

It's was 19 degrees when I stepped outside this morning.  I hauled out my gathered recycling items to the garage where the recycling bin is.  It was c-o-l-d, but thankfully there was and is no snow--just frost on the roof and the car and on the still green grass.    Also, I am happy to report that on yesterday the roofers began work on the replacement of my garage roof.  Oh, what a mess it was.  You see, once they took off all of the old, warped shingles, they found much of the plywood underneath had been seriously damaged (waterlogged and covered in mold) and thus had to be replaced all together.  In some areas, there were actual gaping holes in the wood.   I watched from the warmth of my bedroom window as the pulled up and tore off about ten or twelve sheets of damp moldy plywood.  Much of the garage roof was gone--open to the rafters.  But they replaced all of those areas with good new wood and then put on that black roof sheating material all over the roof.  After working about six hours straight in the freezing cold, they stopped as the dim of night was quickly falling.  So work will resume today I hope.  If not, I'm sure by tomorrow I will have a brand spanking new roof that will match the one I had done on my house a few years ago.  Yay!  Yippee!

So for all of Our Front Porchers,  stay warm and be good to good ol' irreplaceable YOU!!!

Lydia

LydiaN586309

Glad to hear that progress has begun on your garage roof. Boy, it's long john weather all over the porch  today. It's overcast and cold in Jersey.  Frozenoem, I second what LydiaN586309, posted. Lydia has a the right idea with the glistening sun opening her post. Please stay safe and warm and happy.

Nancy

Social Butterfly

Well have to get used to writing and saying 2019.  I usually catch on by mid March.

Honored Social Butterfly

@2Papa wrote:

Well have to get used to writing and saying 2019.  I usually catch on by mid March

@well @2Papa,  remember how our elementary teachers used to make us write repetitiously on the blackboard..."I will not speak out of turn" or whatever?  And that repetition stuck 'cause we didn't do that "thing" (whatever it was) again.  So in keeping with the time-tested remedial teaching methods of the past, here goes:

That should do it!  I'm ready for 2019.

Kudos
Views

Cold and raining in NW Georgia this morning.  Two occasions to wear long johns already this year.   Might be a cold winter but hopefully we will skip the snow and ice we had last year.  

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Boy o boy, do I wish I had this little fella's enthusiasm this morning or any morning for that matter!  At least I'm grateful that I'm awake and obviously up, but the only thing moving on me right now is my fingers (type, type, type).  Guess a hot cup of coffee will get me up and runnin'!

Ooooo weeee, there's a chill in the air.  Naw, it's down right cold here!  20 degrees with a big high of  33  expected later.  They say the sun will be out most of the day, but it hasn't made an appearance yet. But I am hopeful cuz even if it's freezing outside, the sunshine always makes me feel just a little bit better. You?  

Anyway Front Porchers,  the day is young and hopefully we can fill it up doin' whatever we may enjoy!   So to one and all I wish you a very...........

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, Dave!

Congrats on your 75th birthday the other day.  

Happy Belated Birthday anyway!!!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone out there on the Front Porch! Our temps will be in the upper 20's for several days with little chance snow for a while. Last night Mary took me out for my 75th birthday dinner. Which ended with my favorite desert, chocolate lava cake and a cup of coffee!

FB_IMG_1544024134413.jpgFB_IMG_1481480511669.jpgflemings-chocolate-lava-cake.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Front Porchers!

It's cold (27 degrees), but sunny here today.  Thinking about taking in an early morning movie today.  But maybe I'll give into the call of the still warm bed I just left behind. Smile.

Anyway, last night the weatherman said we'd have snow today.  So as I staggered out to the living room and peeked through the blinds,  I was pleasantly surprised to find sunny skies and dry ground and not one flake of snow.  If the open and blue skies hold,  maybe the wintery mix predicted will veer away from here. Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

How's everyone?  It's been kinda quiet on Our Front Porch.  Hope all is well out there.  Just check in when y'all can.

Ciao,

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Front Porchers!

Morning has slip away to early nightfall.  It's been raining here, off and on, for the past two days.  So needless to say, my new garage roof was not installed.  Hopefully, Tuesday or Wednesday will be dry days and the work can be completed then.  Fingers and toes crossed.

When it was not raining, the sun had the audacity to poke it's head through the clouds--I guess  just to taunt me.  But when the weatherman kept boasting about the unusally warm temperature (62 degrees), I finally decided to venture out. And once I stepped of out the house, I was indeed pleasantly surprised by the warmth and balminess of the air.  The rain had stopped (for the moment) and the sun was making her appearance. So I felt it safe to head to the grocery store to pick up a few items.

I wound my way through my subdivision and made it up to the main street.  I had not travelled more than a mile or two when  I encountered a major accident. There was debris all over the road and mangled cars in the middle of the street and up on the  curb.  I slowed to a stop, but had to vigorously wave off the driver behind me as he seemed inclined to barrel on through--oblivious to the calamity in front of us or even to the fact that I was completely stopped in front of him. Slowly, I had to go around the glass and car body parts in the road and a long line of drivers followed suit behind me.  

I continued driving and began to note on my dashboard that the temperature had dropped from about 62 degrees, down to 58 and dropping.  But undaunted, I kept driving. Afterall, the sun was still out.  So by the time I reached the next major cross street and my next turn, I found myself staring at another accident. This time involving and SUV and a sedan that was  going the wrong way.  There was a  senior citizen who had gotten out of her car and was wandering in the street and people helped her to the side of the road.  I called 911 and was told the police were already on their way.  At this point, the sun decided to take leave and the clouds closed up tight against any further hope of sunlight.  The temperature was now dropping fast.  But on I drove.

I turned the corner and maybe two blocks ahead of me,  I could not believe my eyes.  For there was a tremendous multiple car and truck accident blocking part of the road and apparently someone crashed into a  moving van and drove it up onto the curb and into a small parking lot and it lay on it's side--a smashed mess.  The  fire dept. and police were on the scene and were trying to get the van upright so it could be towed.  I guess the ambulances were tending to the injured. There were so many flashing lights,  it looked like Christmas already!   And so, I drove around the the excitement--on to the grocery store.

I pulled into my parking space and just sat there and took a few deep breaths.  Glad I made it there safe. Anticipating the energy needed to shop. And thankful that although the sun had been overtaken by the clouds, it was still fully light.  So I went in, did my shopping, loaded my car, and drove home.  And I made it!  Safe!  And then little drops of water flecked my windshield.  I knew I needed work fast.  And so I did. Groceries out of the car and into the house in what was for me --a flash.  Not  only was the rain now coming down as I closed the door. But the temperature was rapidly dropping. What happened? Moreover, here it is now only 5:30pm and it is pitch black outside.  5:30pm.  Pitch black.  I think I'll light the fireplace tonight.

Hope you all are well and enjoying your weekend.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309... HOLY COW! You are very brave, I probably would have turned around and gone home at the second accident!

Just rain here...ALL DAY!

Waiting for Amazon deliveries. Hate it when it's dark and they deliver.

Everyone, BE SAFE!

Kudos
Views

Catwoman500

I love your greeting... Porch Peeps.

Just very cold in New Jersey today. But the wind has stopped. I do see reports of Snow. Please everyone be safe

Nancy

Greetings All,

Dave and Lyndia Love your pictures on your posts. 

Just cold and overcast in New Jersey. Well and true form, the large tree that is in my front yard,  still has some leaves on it. My little Town send's around this sucker truck for the leaves. last day for this service for the leaves to be placed on the curb is December 15th. I remain hopeful that my tree will drop all its leaves by then.  Very nice service, no more bagging up the leaves, just have to get the ๐ŸŒฒ to cooperate. Please be safe and careful.     Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks Nancy and catwoman500 for your words of support yesterday following my harrowing road trip to the grocery store.  In fact, by the time I got home yesterday evening, I was so pooped all I could do was eat a light meal and hit the hay.  Yep, I was in bed before eight o'clock and asleep shortly thereafter.  But today is a new day (and "it" is now almost over).  So I have no complaints.  Hope everybody is doing well today and tomorrow brings each and every one the blessing of life, health, strength, and a sound mind.  Godspeed!

LydiaN586309,

Boy, what an adventure. Thank goodness you are in for the night. Please be safe and stay safe and warm

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone out there on the Front Porch! We are looking at about 1" of rain today with temps in the mid to upper 30's. Tomorrow it will be that infamous winter mix. Uhh

Hoping everyone has a great weekend on this first weekend of December 2018.

We will be adventurous tonight by going out to see a local production of "A Christmas Story ".

We can not fight it so we will just have to except the fact that Winter is here! Humbug!Have-a-great-weekend.-On-image-of-maps-and-camera-768x1226.jpg342882-Animated-Welcome-December-Gif.gifGo Bucky Basket Go!Go Bucky Basket Go!FB_IMG_1543075259655.jpg

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Our Front Porchers!

It's the first day of the last month of the year.  We have much to be thankful for including having made it through the last eleven months and we're still here!  So whether you're buried in snow, drenched in rain, or basking in the sun, you, I, we are blessed.  Let's make the last month the best month of the year!

Honored Social Butterfly

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, Porch Peeps!

Cloudy and chilly here today, but at least the wind died down. It was blustery for a couple of days. Funny, but it's 39 here, too! Rain is expected for a lot of the weekend.

My house looks like a tornado hit...Christmas boxes and decorations pulled apart all over the place. I hope to get it all together and restored to normalcy (holiday style) soon. Cat Wink

Speaking of bad weather...just heard there was a major earthquake 8 miles north of Anchorage. Yikes! Cat Surprised N.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP