Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MAY-JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MAY-JUNE CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to May 2020 Goodbye April 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF May 2020.

april_028.jpg330455-So-Long-April.png353817-Daisy-Welcome-May-Good-Morning.png330606-Hello-May.gif

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Shoulda known I wasnโ€™t the only one up for a little hard rock.๐Ÿคฃ

Living in a Dead zone for radio waves, I had forgotten new artists existed.

Youtube has piqued my interest, and My card, will get a workout whenever I break free of town again, Froze needs some new CDโ€™s.

The new neighbors might be grateful when I stop blasting old tunes, hadnโ€™t bought anything since 2013 , CelticA and Metallica - never said my tastes werenโ€™t eclectic.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Wow, itโ€™s morning, Iโ€™m semi-conscious through the miracles of expresso , and a rush job at Midnight being deposited in my โ€œcover a new fill in the blank boxโ€.

37* and I see sunlight peeking through my window. 

Hours to go before I rest unless someoneโ€˜s payroll reappears๐Ÿคฃ, somebody warned them to upgrade to a mechanical hard drive vs a SSD, and to keep their little darling away from their computer - again.

@MsStretch 

Thanks for heads up yesterday, sanity mine will be restored at some point this week, ordered tunes, coming whenever with contact cleaner and patch cords๐Ÿ‘.

Have a good morning folks.Itโ€™s all unicorn ๐Ÿฆ„๐ŸŒˆ from here, need to call someone and repackage there little problem for pickup.

In lighter news weโ€™re closed until June 11, unless visitors quarantine for 14 days, no kinfolk escaping for haircuts. Reprieve from in-law visit๐Ÿ™.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Contributor

Good morning from rainy Illinois.  It has been absolutely pouring in the Chicago suburbs this morning.  Temps have still been on the low side which I love.  I'm definitely not a summer time type of gal.  I don't like the heat at all!!  Being that I still work, a note came out from our CEO that we will continue to work from home possibly through the summer.  This is such a crazy tie that we're in now.  I am hoping to retire sometime this year though so I just need to figure that out sooner than later.  Hope all of you will have a great day!!  Happy Thursday๐Ÿ˜Ž

Gold Conversationalist

Dave,

The doggie photo definitely made me smile!  Thanks for posting!

Trusted Contributor

Good Morning,

Glad you enjoyed the picture of my little guy.  I had to let him go around this time last year.  I really miss him but don't know if I'll ever get another one just because of my age & not wanting to go through that heartbreak again.  He was just the best ever.  

@SIMPLEGAL hope you'll have a great day.

Trusted Social Butterfly

GOOD Morning, EVERYONE!  ๐Ÿ’ƒ 

I hope all of you are well on this lovely Monday...

I have no complaints about the weather here in Lake Havasu...that's why i moved here in 2011 and still LOVE it here.  ๐Ÿ™‚

nice BE KIND good morning Monday.jpeg

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi everybody!  Love reading all of your posts. It's another beautiful day here in Lake Havasu, AZ... If you like the heat and i do. ๐Ÿ™‚  Although it's cooling down from the triple digits to JUST the double. haha  Like most everybody else, just waiting for things to open back up (for real) so we can get back to our daily lives and go do stuff!  lol

Take care all and stay healthy...

saturday.gif

Never Look Down on Anybody...Unless You Are Helping Them Up. ๐Ÿ™‚
Honored Social Butterfly

Itโ€™s Motherโ€™s Day Sunday in honor of this I offer motherโ€™s cookie recipe, not mine.

A4BC50DE-C1D6-45D2-83E1-8431FF269F7E.jpeg

26* and partly cloudy, the maple , pine and birches are swinging wildly on the breeze, still 40-50 mph.

Time to play on the woodpile, summer should be here by July 4th, maybe.

Finally got notice my Face Masks have arrived at Post Office, 15 minutes after they closed. Hoping by Monday might actually be able to get them and other things picked up.

One is for my designated driver, washable so, they can be reused vs worn for weeks on end. White in color so, black flies wonโ€™t be attracted to them.

@DaveMcK 

If you were in Camden you were only 3 hours away, hope you found lobsters in one of the many pickup trucks parked in shopping malls, and selling to people vs stores.

@sunluvngal 

Like heat in moderation, did August - December in Phoenix once and only once. Found 110* a little uncomfortable, went from comfy 70* Boston to the gates of Hades.๐Ÿคฃ Returned to delightful ez breathing 20* when I got home again. 

Hope all enjoy their day.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Monday - be still my beating heart Spring is 5 days away for my mountains and foothills.

Temps of 40-50* overnight and 60-70* by day.๐Ÿ‘ No 0-20* nights.

Trees are budding, including a maple beside the foundation, gotta cut that one, it shot up 5โ€™ after snows melted.

Time to hopefully get my masks, etc. No gales or snow in future?

And 3 hours to get to P.O.

Spring MUST really be here๐Ÿคฃ, my neighbor from down road just drove his tractor ๐Ÿšœ to lower fields to plow under manure.๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Looks like we made it to Monday!

One thing back to normal for me....MY STARBUCKS DRIVE THROUGH IS OPEN!

I celebrated by getting my skinny mocha after my trip to the post office. Weird thing...I was the only one in the PO today.

@Frozenoem I'm not sure when we will be able to reschedule doctor, dentist, etc. appointments. It's like living in the dark ages having to care for all of our own health needs. Glad your snow blew away, and yeah, please stay off the ice! Loving the cookie recipe's final resting place. ๐Ÿ˜ธ

@LydiaN586309 You have been very busy in your yard. Bet it makes you feel good to admire the progress. I'd give anything to just take a walk around the block, but a body of pain doesn't allow much of that.

@MsStretch Love the photos of your furballs.

@sunluvngal Nice to see you here.

Sure wish it was warmer and then I could have ordered my mocha iced!

Take care everyone!

Keep calm and purr on.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Thursday of May, 2020!

Our trilliums are in bloom and I would like to share them with you. They are Wisconsin's State Flower and are a protected plant. They can be transplanted if they are in the path of road work. My Father-in-law was able to get these plants about 50 years ago at a road construction site and they are still doing well on the shadyside of our house. 

96599568_10221916549322656_4532604258779922432_o.jpg

Wisconsin school children picked the Wood Violet to be state flower in 1909, but it was not officially designated the state flower until 1949. They chose a flower that thrived in the stateโ€™s wet climate and woodland environment. Across the state, the Wood Violet flowers from Racine to Milwaukee and from Madison to Green Bay. These flowers actually grow in all but four of the stateโ€™s numerous counties.

For most Wisconsin residents, the Wood Violet signifies something more than popularity: it harkens the long-awaited return of spring. Come February, Violet flowers begin to unfold in the stateโ€™s wet woodlands and once snow-covered meadows. The low-growing plants spring up along roadsides, riverbeds and under tall trees.

The Wisconsin state flower consists of a long, slender stem and five purple petals. The upper petals are generally a deeper shade of purple than the other three. The two lower petals are separated by a third, broader petal upon which pollinators land.

Did you know Wisconsin residents admired the Wood Violet long before it was officially designated the state flower? Pictures of it appeared on a state stamp in 1848 โ€“ a century before its official designation. With all that it has going for it, not to mention its common presence, chances are the Wood Violet will continue to be the stateโ€™s favorite flower for many years to come.

96285915_10221916550362682_6480599264429867008_o.jpgTRIGRA1_MRB9.jpg1396884480_cover.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Porch Peeps,

Right now we are in a weather sandwichโ€ฆyucky yesterday, really nice today, and bad news for tomorrow with rain arriving again along with the cold.

@Frozenoem love the moose photo. Hope you donโ€™t get snowed in. Our Saturday AM temperatures will have a wind chill in the 20โ€™s. The polar vortex can go jump in a lake. Itโ€™s May for Peteโ€™s sake! All of you who will feel this unnatural chill, grab some coffee and an extra blanket!

@DaveMcK hope your flowers are hardy to withstand the cold. Love your photos. It's always nice to see things starting to grow and bloom.

@LaDolceVita Iโ€™m so jealous that you have a hair appointment! I so need a cut.

My regular checkup and cleaning at the dentist was supposed to be Wednesday, but that of course didnโ€™t happen. My mouth feels so weird where the crown fell out last month. Sure hope nothing else goes wrong. They are still triaging and I guess my problem isnโ€™t an emergency.

@LydiaN586309  Kindness and patience goes a long way!

@wvgirlforever Welcome to our happy place!

Some of PA is opening up, slowly, and in stages. Philly and Montgomery counties (where I live) will be the last to open. Some of our liquor stores are opening on a limited basis. Still having trouble getting delivery times for the food stores, so I continue my normal routine of going to the same places. I have never tried delivery for food and guess I never will. We still have no disinfectant wipes or sprays available.

Thank goodness for emails, texts, the phone, and our AARP community forums so we can keep in touch.

Stay well!

Hope your valet doesnโ€™t test positive for COVID-19! Snort! ๐Ÿ˜ธ

Have courage!Have courage!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Good Morning Everyone,

The sun is shining here in Illinois this morning but a low of 28 is expected tonight.  Guess I'll have to bring in my hanging flower pot so I don't lose it.  Thank you to those of you who welcomed me into your group.  It's good to have conversations with others across the country that are in stay at home as we are here.  I live in a suburb about 50 miles west from Chicago so we're being considered in districts now and that will have effect on opening things back up.  I do, however, still work even though that's being done from home.  I was hoping to retire in July but waiting to see how all the finances work out with everything that's going on now.  I am a West Virginia born and raised gal and miss not being able to go that way and visit with family and friends.  I hope each of you will have a wonderful day.  Thanks again for the welcoming messages.  My boy Sidney that I lost a year ago.My boy Sidney that I lost a year ago.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Porchers!

friday.jpg

Man, oh, man, have I been waiting for this day!  It has been a super long week. Work is work is work!!! Enough said about that!  But the weather has been conducive for working outside and so I got the chance to spend time in the yard which is a pasttime I find relaxing and truly enjoy. 

So I have worked in my yard (front, back, and sides) for three days in a row.  I have mowed, raked, pulled weeds, and trimmed trees.  Now, the house and the property no longer look abandoned (or at least unoccupied) and I can happily say I did a good job. Next outside projects include trimming the many bushes out front and in the back and to bag up the massive mound of wood chips left from the stump grinding done after my big tree was cut down a few weeks ago. That's gonna take a whole lotta bags and a few days of recouperation from my last project.  But I'm gonna get it done soon than later. For sure!

Anyway, my feathery pets have been enjoying full bird   Sparrows-at-Feeder1.jpg

feeders all week long as I have been filling and re-filling them every few days. I love being able to watch them as they fly in and feed throughout the day--all from the warmth and comfort of my family room. 

@wvgirlforever, let me join the others who have welcomed you here to our special place.  Always glad to have new folks come and settle in.  We share and keep it light.  Nice!  So welcome.  Also, sorry about your fur baby Sidney.  I know he was loved and like any lost family member, is missed. 

It's 43 degrees right now here.  The weather guy had the audacity to let the word "snow" fall from his lips.  But at least he only said something about the "possibility" of it.  Personally, I think he's full of it (snow that is). Smile.

Anyway, I have no plans for the weekend as the stay-at-home order is still in effect here.  But I have more than enough grub and necessary supplies to keep me full and happy while binge-watching movies and TV series I've missed throughout the week. A couple of days of rest and relaxation and then back to the grind on Sunday afternoon.

One thing I would like to do, if I had the energy, would be to take a nice walk through my near park.  It's been closed due to the virus.  But if I could and if I had my old dog Jeremy, we'd.....

walking dog.gif

take that walk together. 

Enjoy your weekend, peepers!  Be safe and stay healthy everybody!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

262031-Happy-Monday-Good-Morning-Snoopy-Quote.jpg

Good morning, Peeps!

They say it's 42 degrees now, but it feels more like 35.  Whatever the temp is, it's cold here!  Brrrrrrr!

This morning I happily went in for my coronavirus testing. I've been waiting for this day to come. Several of my co-workers have already been tested; unfortunately many with positive results. So needless to say, despite having no symptoms, I have been most anxious to get tested. And now the wait for the results.

So for the remainder of this day, I am going to just rest and take it easy until I have to head into work. Although I still enjoy my job, the imagining of retirement is looking more and more appealing. But not yet.  Not yet ready to call it quits and settle into the rhythm of that favorite rocking chair.  But maybe soon;  sooner than I before thought.  Shall see.

Right now I am quietly sitting, watching my feathered friends as they have come in to again feast at their freshly stocked bird feeders.  Remarkably,  while I went back and forth filling the feeders, one lone robin and a very relaxed squirrel sat on there in the midst of my activity--feeding while watching me.  But eating as if they knew I had prepared this meal for them and meant them no harm.  Nice.

1200px-Northern_Cardinal_(Cardinalis_cardinalis)_male.jpg

So far today I have been visited by a blue jay and a cardinal and a few black birds and pigeons.  Yesterday, I could hear the constant knocking of a woodpecker, even though I never actually got to see him.  But his knock let me know that he was there and that was comforting enough.  I do so enjoy the presence of the birds.

Anyway, good morning everyone.  It's a new week and we're just at the beginning.  So enjoy each and every day as much as you can.  I am just so glad for life and appreciative of every breath!  So much is happening round us and around the world.  And yet, we have soooooooo much to be thankful for and I am indeed that.....thankful!

Wishing you all the best of everything!

Be safe and stay well!

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

Iโ€™m moving towards making roll call in mornings๐Ÿคฃ. 41* and clouding up weather is a total crapshoot.

Snow is still coming๐Ÿคฌ, 1-3โ€ or 3-6โ€. My arthritis says 6-7โ€, time for coffee and a fistful followed by who knows.

Lawnmower is charged for EZ starts, and I never drained snowblower so, Iโ€™m covered for whatever.

At least it wasnโ€™t another 110โ€ winter, that one was a pita.

Time to suit up, after one more cup, maybe I can beat the starting as rain bit .๐Ÿคฃ

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

West getting hit with record heat and east with unseasonable cold.  Freeze warnings for this weekend here in VA.  Might have to plug in the furkids' assorted igloos and kitty huts. 

Although the kids have just taken over the whole deck and turned it into their domain.  I am only here to serve and fluff beds. Here's Mom in the planter.  Is that a binkie she is lying on?  Why yes, yes it is.  (Yeah, don't even ask. ๐Ÿ˜)

Willie Mae tucked in the planterWillie Mae tucked in the planter

And here are her boys who took over a chair which happened to be at the door under the overhang and out of the rain.

Stellar and GeorgioStellar and Georgio

Hey @wvgirlforever , glad to see you on the front porch although it might be a little chilly on the east side to pull up a ๐Ÿช‘ right now.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Looks like your kids will be warm and toasty.๐Ÿ‘

I came home to big, flakes of snow and 3โ€ at night. Big flakes mean they wonโ€™t last.

Woke this am to no snow, it blew away in the gales 30-50 mph and still blowing. Temp may hit high of 22* today. My mountains broke up the front.

Feel like I may be taking a walk to convenient, need food - real shopping wonโ€™t happen for another week?

Hope all enjoy the day, time to feed the fire and listen to howl of wind. 

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Thursday afternoon all, looks like Iโ€™ll be spared on high snow totals (subject to change)๐Ÿ‘

But, the cold might be a PITA, 20* over night is still normal, add the wind I tend toward borderline nuts. Subarctic tempโ€™s mean my brace comes out again.

Will be keeping the fire going for awhile, to keep my back happy. 

Delivered food is still a dream state for my town, $40 surcharge from next town to here and back, not happening. Need to hire a cab for delivery, delivery kids are afraid of moose car collisions. Or wicked bad frost heaves, air borne vehicles at 35 mph taking flight and landing again.

Have been dreaming of a pizza for months, calzone is the closest Iโ€™ve come. Have to tuck it under my arm, itโ€™s the only way it will make it back to house.

Lockdown AND doctors appointments wonโ€™t happen until end of June. Yep, still ongoing issues๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคฌ.

I leave you with a picture of my favorite lake  and ice still on it, didnโ€™t feel like discovering the depth with an oopsie.๐Ÿคฃ

BF1F1809-C038-467E-B1C8-2BF1F1899E40.jpeg

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon Tuesday 38* and windy as all heck. 

@LaDolceVita 

Picture was of parking lot (paved) covered in a layer of salt/sand courtesy of Winter and snowplow blades.

ms moose  should be a clue that even the village is surrounded by forests and open fields, weโ€™re definitely country.๐Ÿคฃ

Snowmobiles or trucks are parked in Front of that area, as itโ€™s off the snowmobile trail, former B&B/ Restaurant and soon to be Southern cooking or fine? Dining.

Before Covid, presently crap shoot.

Last night it snowed in the county, and looks like weโ€™re in for another cold snap, with possible blizzard over Mothers Day.

Just as buds have started to appear on trees, think Iโ€™m gonna get some more wood in.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Peepers!

Still can't post pics.  Don't know what's up with that. But anyway....

Yesterday, I finally ventured outside to mow my front yard.  I donned my winter coat, woolen hat and gloves and after about ten pulls on the cord, my lawmower huffed and puffed and smoked on.  And although it took me all of an hour and a half to finish, I can say the front lawn now looks beautifully groomed.  It was the first mow for the season.  Now, I just have to muster up the gumption to tackle the back yard.  And then the garage.  And then the basement.  And then.....

Ugh.  There's always chores and projects at home.  But at least I can never say, "I'm bored."  Smile.

Hope all is well with everyone here and your family and friends.  Truly we are living in perilous times. I'm striving to practice kindness and patience with everyone, every day.

Be well.  Be safe.

Lyds 

Honored Social Butterfly

@wvgirlforever 

Welcome to group and thanks for the day count theyโ€™re all starting to run together for people. Almost starting to miss diaries and log sheets for just what today is.

@LydiaN586309 

Actually looking forward to plugging in and charging the lawnmower, donโ€™t know when Iโ€™ll get to use it but, it does need a 24-hour charge to start.

Figure with another couple of 35-50 mph windy days, maybe the sand on my lawn will disappear.๐Ÿคฃ Most snow has melted๐Ÿ‘.

Need to digitize another pile of vinyl records for a friend, while I can remember how, and still have a functioning turntable.

Still trying to pack my electronics, and still working up courage to pickup my speaker, to repair it.

Itโ€™s just not warm enough to monitor , tapes or records in garage. House and woodstove is more conducive to my health, with always on coffee maker.

Hope all enjoy the day, my delivery was left at post office and that means a walk is needed.

Hereโ€™s hoping I donโ€™t need a truck and there light.๐Ÿคฃ Tried to get up there yesterday but, winds kept my case blowing behind me, like a sail.๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿป

Froze

Trusted Contributor

Nice job on the juggler this morning.  Thanks for the kudo yesterday.  I have changed my profile name.  I did it yesterday but it took 24 hours to make that change.  I hope to find topics on here that make my day a little brighter while going through this stay at home order here in Illinois.  Have a great day.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time on this part of the AARP web site.  At this particular time in our country's history, it's so difficult not being able to be out and around other people.  So, today, I am trying to reach out here on this site and maybe make new friends across this country.  I look forward to reading your posts and interacting with everyone.  It's a beautiful morning here in Illinois and hope it's the same wherever you live.  Happy Hump Day ๐Ÿ™‚

Honored Social Butterfly

juggle_man_blog_thumb.gif

"Why?" you ask.

"Just because I can and because yesterday, I couldn't."

"Couldn't what?" you ask.

"Post pics!"

Big toothy grin....

Honored Social Butterfly

96012969_1240526206291963_7501610503626555392_n.jpg

Good Morning to everyone on the Front Porch and Welcome to the first Tuesday in May.Hoping everyone has a great day. 

We are looking at a high of 51 today but a low of 37 to night. It will be cooler this week. Not much going on here except TV watching and checking on what is blooming in the yard! 

95641507_1242131159464801_2579540796583706624_o.jpgtuesday_040.jpg94436054_10158653811918866_9027443462831603712_o.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Unable to post picture.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Greetings Peepers!

Just checking in. Well, for whatever reason, the magical elves of AARP have made it so I cannot upload pictures at this point. So suffice-it-to-say,

GOOD MORNING,

FRONT PORCHERS!

BE WELL

&

STAY SAFE!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi there, Porch Peeps,

Happy May!

As usual, not much going on here.

Sunday grocery shopping as usual went well at my comfort store...Acme. My Sunday friends showed up and we chatted for a few minutes.

Sold one outfit on Ebay yesterday so went to the post office today....long line in there for some reason.

My Starbucks is still closed but there is hope that they may open more of the drive-throughs this week. :catwink:

Annoyed at my neighbors...

Just seems so unfair and irresponsible that my next door neighbors were having a BBQโ€ฆ3 extra cars parked outside their houseโ€ฆironically a face mask hanging from one of the rear view mirrors. Itโ€™s like someone gave them a green light to say to _ell with COVID-19. Meanwhile at the grocery store we were all melting behind face masks and being โ€œlogged in,โ€ and there is a worker spraying all the carts outside the store.

And Iโ€™m also annoyed at the fact that this is one day we could finally open the windows and my whole house smelled so badly from smoke, I had to close all the windows. Just venting! :catlol:

Keep calm and carry on!

Mark Twain.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Monday all - 47* and overcast with winds, expecting rain or snow tonight. Was hot yesterday 70*, and had to work feeling it today.

There comes a day when your body says crawling on oak is not conducive to good health. That day was yesterday, had to snake ethernet cables for someone.

Met local wildlife cutting through back yards in village as I was trying to go to the convenient store, across the street. Had my evacuation route planned just in case.

5422FA05-E687-4E0C-9549-689722EBC7F6.jpeg

Fortunately she walked across street and kept moving. I just canโ€™t sprint yet๐Ÿคฃ.

@LydiaN586309 

The issue with AARP and picture posting is being fixed, actually was able to post pictures, that was visible  horizontally and down scaled to page on my iPhone.

Enjoy all

Froze

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP